Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 10:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.87
WE:Human Resources (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: The importance of rigorous courses? [#permalink]
Setting aside whether they are a waste of your time (ie you learn nothing useful), I'd bias towards easier classes and higher grades. that doesnt mean you should take underwater basket weaving, but perhaps stats instead of regressions. Be sure to take what actually interests you though... you'll do poorly if you hate the material even if the class isn't that hard.

Studies have shown that admissions officers do not adequately compensate for difficult universities in their admission decision, even with perfect information. I would expect that the same is generally true of difficult courses, although admittedly, the studies I'm thinking of didn't test that particular hypotheses.

I would advise you to start easy and then dial up the difficulty to a comfortable point -- all with an eye to actually learning something of course. It's very very difficult to dig yourself out of a 2.0 GPA, and if you aim way too low for your first quarter your education won't materially suffer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
jko wrote:
MGMAT #1: 710 (46Q 41V)
MGMAT #2: 720 (47Q 41V)
MGMAT #3: 750 (48Q 45V)
MGMAT #4: 740 (50Q 41V)
GMAT Prep V1 Test 1: 770 (50Q 46V)
MGMAT #5: 770 (50Q 45V)

Unrelated thread hijack.... Jko I *think* you MIGHT be ready to take the real thing...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Quote:
Unrelated thread hijack.... Jko I *think* you MIGHT be ready to take the real thing...

Haha thanks, yep I'm scheduled for June 4th at noon. Going to use memorial day weekend to take practice exams back to back to back to train my endurance, and use the weekdays to bone up on some of my weaknesses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Setting aside whether they are a waste of your time (ie you learn nothing useful), I'd bias towards easier classes and higher grades. that doesnt mean you should take underwater basket weaving, but perhaps stats instead of regressions. Be sure to take what actually interests you though... you'll do poorly if you hate the material even if the class isn't that hard.

On the other hand, it's also true that the more rigorous courses you take, the easier it will be for you to get a good job post-graduation, and that obviously plays a part into how business school admissions committees see you.

I work in a highly analytical department for a Fortune 500 company, and I've done a lot of interviewing/hiring during my time here. I've seen a lot of candidates who had a 3.5+ undergrad GPA in economics or finance; I've seen very few candidates who have taken a course on econometrics or differential equations. Everything else being equal, I'd prefer the 2nd candidate over the 1st, because 1) my team frequently performs intense analytics that aren't covered by your standard calculus I/II, economics, or finance courses, and 2) taking and getting through tough courses shows that you like and can handle a challenge.

That said, I'd expect MBA admissions committees to weight undergrad GPA more than the 'quality' of your work experience. Just don't bias yourself too far toward easy courses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.87
WE:Human Resources (Consulting)
Send PM
Excellent, excellent info.

I will definitely take some tough math and business courses; as for science, I guess I will play it by ear.
GMAT Club Bot