Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR [#permalink]
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:

the reasoning given is generally used to eliminate such wrong choices..
How do you know the price increase was not due to something that hits the pharma companies . Connecting with 'inflation' would generally be used as a trap to entice test taker to that wrong choice. But by giving this as a valid reason, we are legitimising the reasoning...

I don't know the reason for the price increase and for that matter, I don't care either. All that matters to the poor is that the price has increased by 6%. The reason could be anything. Option (B) is one step in the direction of showing that inflation has been 6% - the reason for that could be anything. Whether the other steps follow or not, doesn't matter. I have to strengthen the position and option (B) does that.

chetan2u wrote:
If for same Q, I give another reason..
A. there was a sharp increase in the crude prices during this period, having an effect on all the commodities.
B. During the last five years, the cost of medicine for people living below the poverty line has increased 6%.

Someone who has read this Q and convinced with reasoning would go for A.

and there in explanation for B would be..
B is a wrong choice, as it claims something on a fact, which does not amount to even one thousandth of total expenditure. the increase in medicine could be attributed to failure and closing of pharma companies or higher taxes by the government etc

A hypothetical question with our hypothetical solution?

Note that you will not have two strengtheners in the options. Even if it seems like you do, one would be dicey and the other obviously clear. We always have to find the "most suitable" option.

Also, "there was a sharp increase in the crude prices during this period, having an effect on all the commodities." is not "obviously" better than option (B). The effect on the commodities could have been 0.5%. Perhaps the government controls the crude prices and absorbs shocks - who knows.

Point is, if something strengthens the position, it cannot be the trap answer.
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Re: The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Will leave it after this, and will repost when I come across some Q testing this type of reasoning.
Quote:
I don't know the reason for the price increase and for that matter, I don't care either. All that matters to the poor is that the price has increased by 6%. The reason could be anything. Option (B) is one step in the direction of showing that inflation has been 6% - the reason for that could be anything. Whether the other steps follow or not, doesn't matter. I have to strengthen the position and option (B) does that.

Ofcourse, REASON for price increase is important, because that is what critical REASONing is all about. The answer solely hinges on the price increase in the period.
Quote:

A hypothetical question with our hypothetical solution?

the Q is from your source, so yes it can be hypothetical as it is not from the OG. Any solution to a hypothetical Q will be hypothetical. agreed

Quote:
Note that you will not have two strengtheners in the options. Even if it seems like you do, one would be dicey and the other obviously clear. We always have to find the "most suitable" option.

Also, "there was a sharp increase in the crude prices during this period, having an effect on all the commodities." is not "obviously" better than option (B). The effect on the commodities could have been 0.5%. Perhaps the government controls the crude prices and absorbs shocks - who knows.

Point is, if something strengthens the position, it cannot be the trap answer.

The reasoning given to negate the crude price increase is good, but it can be applied to the OA given and in a much better way.
"A sharp increase in crude prices resulting in increase in commodities" can be shot down , but 6% increase(reasons unknown-related to only itself or encompassing all) in a miniscule part of spending is correct because it matches 6% with 6% increase in income. 6% increase in medicine means 6% in food , 6% in transport, 6% in everything. I am sure it does not mean that
Tutor
Send PM
Re: The latest report by the Global Initiative for Poverty Reduction (GIPR [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:

the Q is from your source, so yes it can be hypothetical as it is not from the OG. Any solution to a hypothetical Q will be hypothetical. agreed

I would like to point out that when you "add" an option to our question at your own will, it doesn't remain our question anymore.
All we try to do here is help - you are free to disagree with the logic.
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Quote:

I would like to point out that when you "add" an option to our question at your own will, it doesn't remain our question anymore.

I appreciate the efforts. But I will surely get back to you on the flawed reasoning through the most accepted source OG, as I am sure I have seen a few instances where Qs have used this reasoning to eliminate choices.

I would like to point to another one flaw, may like to review it.

Nevernevergiveup wrote:
All of the athletes who will win a medal in competition have spent many hours training under an elite coach. Michael is coached by one of the world’s elite coaches; therefore it follows logically that Michael will win a medal in competition.

The argument above logically depends on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Michael has not suffered any major injuries in the past year.
(B) Michael’s competitors did not spend as much time in training as Michael did.
(C) Michael’s coach trained him for many hours.
(D) Most of the time Michael spent in training was productive.
(E) Michael performs as well in competition as he does in training.

I got stuck between C and E. I feel the argument will collapse if we negate option C.
Am I correct/wrong? Please explain?

Hi,
the logic of the main statement itself is flawed..
The Q would have been better had it asked for "flaw in the logical reasoning"....

The logic in this Q is ..
all the As will have done B..
so since C is doing B, he will be A..
all the As will have done B.. does not mean all doing B will be As..

But taking the Q as it is, answer will be C..
For becoming a medallist .. it is necessary that many hours (requirement 1) of trg under elite coach (requirement 2)..
we know he has coached under elite coach..
so if he has to win a medal, he has to have trained for many hours..

It would be better if you change therefore it follows logically that Michael will win a medal in competition. to micheal wins a medal in competition, to make the Questin logical
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:
Quote:

I appreciate the efforts. But I will surely get back to you on the flawed reasoning through the most accepted source OG, as I am sure I have seen a few instances where Qs have used this reasoning to eliminate choices.

Nevernevergiveup wrote:
All of the athletes who will win a medal in competition have spent many hours training under an elite coach. Michael is coached by one of the world’s elite coaches; therefore it follows logically that Michael will win a medal in competition.

(B) Michael’s competitors did not spend as much time in training as Michael did.

I got stuck between C and E. I feel the argument will collapse if we negate option C.

Hi,
The Q would have been better had it asked for "flaw in the logical reasoning"....

For becoming a medallist .. it is necessary that many hours (requirement 1) of trg under elite coach (requirement 2)..

It would be better if you change therefore it follows logically that Michael will win a medal in competition. to micheal wins a medal in competition, to make the Questin logical

Dear chetan2u,

From the experience of our previous discussion, I think you have already made up your mind that these questions are flawed (which, by the way, they are not). I don't think I will be able to make much difference this time around either so I will not write out an explanation here. Instead, I will take this question on my 'Quarter Wit Quarter Wisdom' blog next week. I will put up the link on this thread - feel free to check it out on Monday.
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear chetan2u,

From the experience of our previous discussion, I think you have already made up your mind that these questions are flawed (which, by the way, they are not). I don't think I will be able to make much difference this time around either so I will not write out an explanation here. Instead, I will take this question on my 'Quarter Wit Quarter Wisdom' blog next week. I will put up the link on this thread - feel free to check it out on Monday.

Hi karishma,
Thank you for the efforts. I would surely go through the explanations and its, in no way trying to find a flaw because I have done a lot of CR from your source and they have been perfectly fine.
Regards....
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
chetan2u wrote:

Nevernevergiveup wrote:

Hi,

Dear chetan2u,

Quote:

Hi,
I did go through your blog..
two points from your blog..
1) the answer as C flows through the argument..
2) the argument is flawed in its conclusion..

These are exactly the two points I conveyed, points which you felt were biased.
Also, I do know and would expect others too not to sweat on flawed arguements, which would be a rarity in actual GMAT, but carry on with the Qs..
Thanks..
GMAT Club Bot