Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 21:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2010 thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 02:06
hey bsd,

can you tell us how many core courses we have take each term of first year ? it seems lbs give option to waive core courses if we have already studied them
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 10:49
Hi Ankit this info is available here: http://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/pr ... urses.html

You will probably get the accounting waiver if you are already a CA. However many people still take most courses courses as a refresher.

ankit1456 wrote:
hey bsd,

can you tell us how many core courses we have take each term of first year ? it seems lbs give option to waive core courses if we have already studied them
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 14:58
hey bsd ,

i heard from my friend that getting job in euorpe has become difficult for outside ..how true is it ? my friend told me that european union is risticting jobs for outsiders
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 142
Schools: LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 21:51
Hello,

This is for prashok/bsd_lover.

Are LBS interviews conducted by alums ? Will it be a blind interview or do they have access to complete file.
Also, any tips to prepare for interviews, especially the case question.

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Location: London
Schools: LBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 07:29
Just wondered if anyone has heard anything re: round 1 applications to date. I submitted mine on the 18th September (pretty much as soon as the applications opened) so was just wondering when i could expect a reply ?

The web site states that interview decisions are made on 7th Nov - does this mean that nothing is done before this date or that interviews can take place before this and any final decisions are made on this date ....

Thanks

Evi
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 08:24
@humblewinner - My interviewer had my full file (Resume, essays etc.). He was an alum. LBS pays close attention to your background and matches interviewers to your background (if available in your location). Interviews can vary depending on person to person. I have heard reports of stern by-the-book interviews. My own interview was actually very informal. So, prepare for the worst.

@Evidence - what usually happens is that they send out all the interview invite decisions on the same date (7th Nov in this case). Then the interviews are conducted over the next 2-3 weeks.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2009
Posts: 8
Location: London
Schools: LBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 08:38
Thanks, i guess then i makes no difference whether you apply on the date the round opens or in the last hour before it closes. There is no 'benefit' in applying early within a round only in applying in an early round.

Interesting ... thanks for the insight. I had always thought they would operate a batch system based on when people applied.

Also could you assume that no news is good news if you have not heard anything to date? If the application was not up to standard given it has been almost 4 weeks since submission would a rejection not already have been sent ?
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [1] , given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2009, 10:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
I believe all rejects and interview decisions are sent on one date. Don't stress its just the standard way they do it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Oct 2009
Posts: 10
Schools: LBS (R1), HEC Paris (R2), Oxbridge (R2), INSEAD (R2), Wharton (R2)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 18:48
Hello!

I'm a newbie to this thread, but I just read through the ENTIRE LBS 2009 thread today and am very inspired to join this community. Bsd_lover, it's such an encouragement to read your whole story as I begin the b-school application process. I submitted in R1 last week and am just keeping all fingers, toes, and limbs crossed. Prashok, hello from CA! I am from Norcal =). I hope to someday join you all in London!

Mcnerdy
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Apr 2006
Posts: 142
Schools: LBS (R1-Admit), Oxford (R1-Admit)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 19:40
[quote="bsd_lover"]@humblewinner - My interviewer had my full file (Resume, essays etc.). He was an alum. LBS pays close attention to your background and matches interviewers to your background (if available in your location). Interviews can vary depending on person to person. I have heard reports of stern by-the-book interviews. My own interview was actually very informal. So, prepare for the worst.

Thank you bsd_lover
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 23:25
Welcome to the community McNerdy. My story is better documented in the 2008 thread. The application process is a true roller coaster. I just hope that you all get that quick admit and can then relax and plan your move in London in good time.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 05:56
1
This post received
KUDOS
http://www.mbaleague.blogspot.com/

contains many students blogs related to schools all over the world ....it will help us to know the school better
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 11:14
hey bsd,

update your experience ...lot of time has pass since your last info. on school ....
few questions also
1) do lbs conduct any pre mba-international program( around 3weeks--) and analytics(2 weeks) like it happens in hbs ?

2) is it true that if you mail any professor they try to give any student immediate respones?

3) tell us more about simulation test conducted in lbs ...you mention about somethng related to sharemarket simulation (if i am not wrong) last month ...does more simulation test were conducted ?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 11:51
1. There is no pre-program in terms of study. Lots of pre-program drinking during the flathunters though. Our core courses (UGM, GLAM and Statistics) can be considered somewhat pre program like and the real core (Economics, finance, strategy etc.) begins a month later.

2. That is true if and only if your e-mail is well constructed (preferably grammatically correct) and asks some specific and meaningful questions. General enquiries should be sent ONLY to the MBA programme office. I cannot emphasise this enough. You dont want to harm your admission chances by sending out irrelevant e-mails to professors, who are incredibly busy people.

3. There was another simulation in which our study group took over an engineering company and tried to improve its fortunes by managing the various aspects of the firm (e.g. marketing/strategy, R&D, operations, finance etc.) It was incredibly time pressured and we had to make all our decisions about a quarter within 30 mts. Then we would have to read reports and results of our decisions and move on to the next quarter. We were competing directly with other teams (other study groups). So basically if we gained market share, another team lost market share. If we dropped prices, another team found itself overpriced. If we improved our technology, another team fell behind in that aspect. It was incredibly dynamic and fun exercise and it ran for nearly a whole day. There was a twist in the end - but I wont talk about it, because MBA2012 folks here might be doing the same simulation next year.


ankit1456 wrote:
hey bsd,

update your experience ...lot of time has pass since your last info. on school ....
few questions also
1) do lbs conduct any pre mba-international program( around 3weeks--) and analytics(2 weeks) like it happens in hbs ?

2) is it true that if you mail any professor they try to give any student immediate respones?

3) tell us more about simulation test conducted in lbs ...you mention about somethng related to sharemarket simulation (if i am not wrong) last month ...does more simulation test were conducted ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 12:11
bsd_lover wrote:
1. There is no pre-program in terms of study. Lots of pre-program drinking during the flathunters though. Our core courses (UGM, GLAM and Statistics) can be considered somewhat pre program like and the real core (Economics, finance, strategy etc.) begins a month later.

2. That is true if and only if your e-mail is well constructed (preferably grammatically correct) and asks some specific and meaningful questions. General enquiries should be sent ONLY to the MBA programme office. I cannot emphasise this enough. You dont want to harm your admission chances by sending out irrelevant e-mails to professors, who are incredibly busy people.

3. There was another simulation in which our study group took over an engineering company and tried to improve its fortunes by managing the various aspects of the firm (e.g. marketing/strategy, R&D, operations, finance etc.) It was incredibly time pressured and we had to make all our decisions about a quarter within 30 mts. Then we would have to read reports and results of our decisions and move on to the next quarter. We were competing directly with other teams (other study groups). So basically if we gained market share, another team lost market share. If we dropped prices, another team found itself overpriced. If we improved our technology, another team fell behind in that aspect. It was incredibly dynamic and fun exercise and it ran for nearly a whole day. There was a twist in the end - but I wont talk about it, because MBA2012 folks here might be doing the same simulation next year.



oh you got me wrong regarding professor question ...my question was regarding current student and faculty relation ...not email by prospective student ....and plz pm me regarding twist thng
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 12:16
and yes how many core topics or subject you need to take each term ? bcoz i was looking at core list in lbs site and i saw nearly 16 subjects ...so that number worries me ...thts all
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 13:54
The first month we had 4 cores. Right now we have 5 cores. So that makes it 9 cores for this term with 2 more to come. Dont be intimidated by the numbers; this term, with 11 cores is supposed to be the heaviest (hence why I am not able to be as active on the forums as I'd like). In fact some of the cores (such as GLAM) just have 3 lectures so they whizz by. The next term is supposed to be a lot easier to help us with our job hunt.

The professors are great with current students. They respond and write emails even on weekends. They manage this while teaching 5 streams (400 students) simultaneously. Our ethics teacher taught us while she was 6 months pregnant. These committed teachers are world class - all of them have Phds from and have taught at other top schools.

I wont discuss the twist - who knows you might be studying at LBS next year ;)

ankit1456 wrote:
and yes how many core topics or subject you need to take each term ? bcoz i was looking at core list in lbs site and i saw nearly 16 subjects ...so that number worries me ...thts all
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 01:30
hey bsd,

how are rooms are given to students in lbs ? is it lottery system ? are you living in campus or out side campus ?
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 03:21
You have you manage your own accommodation. Most students live close to campus in privately rented accommodation.

ankit1456 wrote:
hey bsd,

how are rooms are given to students in lbs ? is it lottery system ? are you living in campus or out side campus ?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2010 thread [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 04:20
thanks again
Re: The London Business School 2010 thread   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2009, 04:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
127 Experts publish their posts in the topic The London Business School 2010 thread pmenon 1314 25 May 2009, 10:27
75 The London Business School 2011 Thread bpenn 1342 16 Jun 2010, 13:48
London Business School 2010 end-of-term dates? ssuppe 1 07 Jun 2010, 05:16
15 Experts publish their posts in the topic Indian School of Business 2010-11 thread bigoyal 125 16 Jun 2009, 09:24
39 Experts publish their posts in the topic The London Business School 2009 thread bsd_lover 560 25 Sep 2008, 02:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The London Business School 2010 thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  66    Next  [ 1315 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.