Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 01:40 It is currently 09 May 2024, 01:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [19]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: The management at a certain company opposes the use of [#permalink]
Kudos
This is a comparison question. We first need to follow the argument. Machine Y produces more units per hour than machine X. Thus, the company is going to stop using X. The author says, not so fast, Machine X should still be used because it produces superior quality products than Y and uses the defective rate as support.

A) is wrong because we don't know how old Machine Y is, nor do we know how age factros into the quality the parts.

B) is correct because it shows that based on the defective rate - the support the author uses to indicate X is superior Y - Y and X are equivalent. If Y and X are equivalent in quality, then it makes sense to go with the Machine that produces more units per hour.

C) is wrong because we're talking about X and Y. A new machine is irrelevent to the author's argument or whether we should keep X.

D) This is a separate argument completely. Yeah, Machine Y might make more units than X and it might be less expensive and might have 100 other advantages. The author however focuses on QUALITY. That's the reason Machine X should be used. It is better quality than Machine Y. Therefore, the correct answer choice must relate to the quality of the units.

E) is wrong because it desn't counter the author's position. The author says that Machine X SHOULD be used. Detailing what a position or policy is does nothing to counter the author's normative argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Chetangupta wrote:
The management at a certain company opposes the use of machine X, since machine X produces 5 percent fewer units per hour than does machine Y. However, management is neglecting to consider that the quality of the units produced by machine X is superior to the quality of those produced by machine Y. For example, only 2 percent of the units produced by machine X were found to be defective. Therefore, the managers’ objections are invalid; the company should use machine X.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used as a basis for arguing against the author’s position that the managers should use machine X?

Machine X is 5 years old.

Two percent of the units produced by machine Y are defective.

The managers have been analyzing a new machine that produces 10 percent more units per hour than does machine X.

Machine X is more expensive to maintain than is machine Y.

The quality of the product is often not the sole consideration when deciding which machine to use.

B.Y has same defective rate(quality) and produces more unit.Y is superior
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The management at a certain company opposes the use of machine X, since machine X produces 5 percent fewer units per hour than does machine Y. However, management is neglecting to consider that the quality of the units produced by machine X is superior to the quality of those produced by machine Y. For example, only 2 percent of the units produced by machine X were found to be defective. Therefore, the managers’ objections are invalid; the company should use machine X.

The argument is in support of machine X. It claims that although machine X produces less units per hour, it produces better quality units than machine Y, given that only 2 percent of machine X units are defective.

Which of the following, if true, could best be used as a basis for arguing against the author’s position that the managers should use machine X?

The correct answer choice demonstrates why machine X should not be used.

A) Machine X is 5 years old. We can't make a comparison without Machine Y's age.

B) Two percent of the units produced by machine Y are defective.

This would mean that machine X and Y produce the same quality of units and machine X still falls behind in efficiency and should not be used

C) The managers have been analyzing a new machine that produces 10 percent more units per hour than does machine X.
We're concerned with machine X's superiority. Also, since we're considering defective units, we have no information on the quality of the new machine.[i]

D) Machine X is more expensive to maintain than is machine Y.
[i]We're concerned with the performance of the machine, not the cost to maintain it.

E) The quality of the product is often not the sole consideration when deciding which machine to use.
It's already stated in the stimulus that efficiency is also a consideration.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
i do not agree with the answer and the reasoning because we are told that x produces 5 percent fewer units per hour than does machine Y so lets take some numerical values, suppose y produces 100 units so x will produce 95 units so 2% of 95 is still less than 2% 0f 100 so how can the defective rate be equal for both machines. Still machine X is more efficient, on the other hand choice D says that X costs more in maintenance which is precisely the concern of the management i.e cost saving so D should be the answer.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
"i do not agree with the answer and the reasoning because we are told that x produces 5 percent fewer units per hour than does machine Y so lets take some numerical values, suppose y produces 100 units so x will produce 95 units so 2% of 95 is still less than 2% 0f 100 so how can the defective rate be equal for both machines. Still machine X is more efficient, on the other hand choice D says that X costs more in maintenance which is precisely the concern of the management i.e cost saving so D should be the answer."

I see why one would think that. But I believe the question is saying that 2 percent and 5 percent of the same number of units (as opposed to the 2 percent and 5 percent of the units that X and Y produce in the same hour). Cost is not relevant to the argument. The stimulus provides no information on the concern of management with cost savings.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
However, management is neglecting to consider that the quality of the units produced by machine X is superior to the quality of those produced by machine Y
:
By attacking this sentence the basic premise upon which the author begins the argument;
Option E seems sound logic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 390
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
my take :
option B
consider Machine X is producing 95 units per hour
machine Y is producing 100 units per hour
machine X is short in production by 5 units in comparison to machine Y (that's what the argument states)
now if 2 % of the 95 units are defective , remains 93 units (not-defective)
as for machine Y per option B (we will have 98 units not defective) thus a bigger number than machine Y and same quality.WEAKENS
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 849 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts