Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 16:18 It is currently 09 May 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Weakenx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 318
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3157 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2218
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V30
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
Re: The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased from mili [#permalink]
VeritasPrepBrandon wrote:
In this question, we are looking for a basis with which to criticize historical costing as being economically sound.

a) This is correct. If the government made a blunder and overpaid one year, then this pricing practice will force the government to continually overpay every year (adding an inflation percentage to an already bloated figure). This is by definition not economically sound.

b) This is why this practice is being utilized, and doesn't make it economically unsound. Wild inflation encourages the use of this practice in order to protect the contractors from inflation. This is the purpose of this practice.

c) The base contractual price can changed based on different materials, but this policy will hold the price of these materials constant + adding inflation. This does not make it economically unsound. Just like ordering more materials will increase the price, so will the cost of those materials.

d) This is very out of scope. We are not discussing whether taxpayers' agree with the money being spent overall

e) Again, out of scope. We are simply focused on whether this one practice is economically sound, not on any other ramifications of it.

I hope this helps!!!

VeritasPrepBrandon, as per your explanation of answer coice A, You said that : "This is by definition not economically sound" !
yes you're right, but This is not economically sound FOR THE GOVERNEMENT ! the question asks for not being economically sound for the contractors !
your explanation of choice A demonstrates that the contractors in this case are wining, and their method is economically sound for them.
I know I'm wrong in some part, can you please help e recalibrate the way I make my reasoning,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 501
Send PM
The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased from mili [#permalink]
There's no critical reasoning in this question, only wording.
Let me rephrase the prompt.

Quote:
The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased from military contractors is determined by a pricing method called “historical costing.” Historical costing allows contractors to protect their profits by adding a percentage increase, based on the current rate of inflation, to the previous year’s contractual price.

Since it protects contractors' profits, histortical costing is good for contractors.

Quote:
Which of the following statements, if true, is the best basis for a criticism of historical costing as an economically sound pricing method for military contracts?

Choose the one claiming that historical costing is not economically sound for the government.
GMAT Club Bot
The price the government pays for standard weapons purchased from mili [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts