Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The results are in! And the score is 720(Q47,V42), 6.0AWA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
The results are in! And the score is 720(Q47,V42), 6.0AWA [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 09:55
You didn't think I was going give you the score in the subject, where you didn't even have to click on the post? LOL It would be like the hero dying in the first 5 minutes of the movie!

Thanks you everyone (fresinha12, x2suresh, walker, brokerbevo, x-ali-x, apurva1985, raabenb, smkrn, jasonC [shout out to another Okie], gmatnub, bsd_lover, YihWei,, maratikus and anyone else that I may not be able to remember off the top of my head) that has been such an incredible help to me in preparing for this exam. I feel like I've come so far since the 650 at the end of April. I think I could have saved myself $250 if I would have found this place before my first attempt! Man, that would have been another school's application fee!

720 (Q47, V42)

While it's not as high as I think it could have been, I'm still very excited about it. I had been scoring 48-49 in quant, but then again, I was scoring 40-41 in Verbal, so it's a trade-off.

I think I"m capable of mid 700s, but at some point I have to start working on applications. The way I see it is that now, my score is the average or above for every business school in the country (Damn Stanford with a 721 average!) My only concern is that the adcoms would have rather seen a higher GMAT score in order to make up for my 3.05 UG GPA (that's all 4 years, not in major, which was like 3.7 or 3.8. I brought up my GPA from a 2.5 to a 3.05 in the last 3 semesters).

Now I guess it's on to the applications. I'm trying to decide if I should take Harvard off the list (a friend of mine graduated from there and wants me to apply there too). I figure for about the price of the Harvard app fee, I could add 2 other schools a bit down on the list. I'd have a better shot at getting into them, plus I would be adding 1 school.

As for the test:

AWA - Chineseburned is the best! I felt so prepared after reading through that AWA guide a few times. Hopefully the usage made sense, but i put "therefore" and "For example" and other key words in my essays so many times the scores should be good.

The quant seemd rather easy overall. I remember getting 1 or 2 questions that I thought "Holy crap, walker couldn't even answer this one!" I honestly thought that while sitting there taking the test. It may not be true, he probably could answer it, but that's the level I thought those few questions were. I only got 1 or 2 questions that I was able to use comb/perm on. I seemed to get quite a few DS questions, but then again, I don't like DS so they probably stand out in my mind moreso than the others. I got a couple of work problems (DS) and there were 2 questions I used a Venn Diagram on. i was surprised at that. When i was on question 35 i looked at the time and had 5 or 6 minutes left so I knew I had paced myself well.

Verbal

I'm strongest in verbal so I was not nervous for this part, although I really had to work during the break to get my mind out of the quant-mode and into verbal. I spent 2 -3 minutes of the break repeating "Subject-verb agreement, pronouns, modifiers, logical opposites, premises conclusions, weaken, support, " trying to get my mind thinking about those things again when all that seemed to be going through my head was numbers and more numbers!

I saw 4 RC passages, which I was happy about because RC is by far my strongest of all the verbal sections (thanks to all those cases in law school). The second most I think was CR passages and then SC. It seemed that I got a lot of SC passages where the entire sentence was underlines. I thought "Holy crap! I guess they mean sentence correction rather than phrase correction!" Then it struck me that this is easier. There are many more things that the authors have to get correct when correcting an entire sentence. Any error = the entire thing is wrong.

Kelli's advice on improving Verbal is spot on. Approach it very scientifically and use your ear only when you really can't decide. But even then, you should be able to limit the answer choices to 2 by eliminating answers that have obvious errors.

I noticed that the SC tended to have many misplaced modifiers. Like ", which" being used to refer to something earlier in teh sentence, but it was misplaced because the noun directly preceeding it didn't make sense as the antecedent.

Anyway, I've got another appointment at 1:30 (Going to the FAA to participate in a pilot study program and I get paid to fly their simulators! Woo Hoo this is a great day!)

Ask me any questions, and I'll be very happy to answer them. I will probably be back early evening and will get to them then.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by jallenmorris on 31 Jul 2008, 04:50, edited 2 times in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 09:57
wow congrats man...

i dont know i never scored lower than 49 on gmatpreps but got a 42 on Q...i was shell shocked..
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 10:01
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

"George is getting upset!"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 10:02
Excellent score! And even better that your debrief was written while sober :lol:
- tsd
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 10:04
By the way, a really funny thing happened. I knew one of the workers at the testing center. She is the mayor of a very small suburb of OKC. (Mayor is just political, city manager does the actual work). She and I met often when I was working as a field rep for the US Congressman here. She told me she'd been working there part-time for 5 years and could remember only a few people that got 720 or close to it. Does that mean we're all just more dumber here?

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 10:06
LOL!

J Allen- Mind sharing any tips for Quant? What materials did you use?

Thanks in advance,
- tsd
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 10:14
:band GREAT JOB jallenmorris !!! :band

Have Fun .... At least the burden is over!
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 10:24
What were your Manhattan GMAT practice scores?
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 10:25
Congrats, JAllen! Good luck with your essays and applications!
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 351

Kudos [?]: 1687 [0], given: 354

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 10:43
Expert's post
Congrats, hard work always works!!!
:woohoo
Let's try to go to HBS together !!! :)))

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

SVP
SVP
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 10:50
JAllen,
Congrats!! buddy..Good luck with your applications...
I got disappointed with your Verbal score... expected around 50 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 11:04
great score, congrats buddy!

My GMAT debrief

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 11:15
Nice job!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 11:24
jallenmorris wrote:
By the way, a really funny thing happened. I knew one of the workers at the testing center. She is the mayor of a very small suburb of OKC. (Mayor is just political, city manager does the actual work). She and I met often when I was working as a field rep for the US Congressman here. She told me she'd been working there part-time for 5 years and could remember only a few people that got 720 or close to it. Does that mean we're all just more dumber here?

Nope. It's just that a lot of people take the test on a whim or do not prepare as diligently as others. Fact of the matter is, you have beaten more than 90% of the people who take test.

Good job!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Life

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 11:33
Congrats JAllen, this is amazing news.
:woohoo

Question for you: can you give us a sense of what material you used to study, and what helped you up your score. I've gone through OG and supplaments + kaplan 800, but the most I got on a CAT was 670.

Thanks,
Ali
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 12:05
Few people deserve a 720 as much as you do. Thanks for all your help! Congratulations, and I have a feeling that you are going to have a stellar application!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 12:16
Congratulations! Hope you will hang out at gmatclub to help me with my verbal score.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 12:40
Congratulation!
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 12:56
J Allen, congratulations on a great score. With all your preparation, there's no doubt you could have done better than a 720. 95th percentile is very impressive and on top of all that you hit the 80/80 split! Now that you have the easy stuff out of the way, on to the applications :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: MIT

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: The results are in! And the score is..... [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 15:02
Great job! And good job on the balanced score too! Good luck on the applications, and remember that your score is better than the average at almost every school in the country. :-D
Re: The results are in! And the score is.....   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2008, 15:02