Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3947 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: The Sunrise policy at Melvin Prexart & Co states that, [#permalink]
Tommy,
I guess the reason is that quicker is an adj and quickly is an adv and we need to adv to modify implemented
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/quickest

TommyWallach wrote:
Hey There,

"Quicker" is not technically a word, though it has moved into common speech. On the GMAT, you can't use "quicker", only "more quickly" as the comparative of "quick".

Word.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
The Sunrise policy at Melvin Prexart & Co states that, henceforth, the strategy guidelines should be implemented quicker than they had been in the past.

(A) the strategy guidelines should be implemented quicker than they had been in the past
(B) the strategy guidelines should be implemented quicker than they have been in the past
(C) the strategy guidelines should be implemented quicker than they did in the past
(D) the strategy guidelines should be implemented more quickly than they have been in the past
(E) the strategy guidelines should be implemented more quickly than they had been in the past

Hi Experts,

the strategy guidelines should be implemented more quickly than they did in the past?

Will this be correct ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
The Sunrise policy at Melvin Prexart & Co states that, henceforth, the strategy guidelines should be implemented quicker than they had been in the past.

(A) the strategy guidelines should be implemented quicker than they had been in the past. Contender (in the last two choices, doesnt sound right)
(B) the strategy guidelines should be implemented quicker than they have been in the past Incorrect. (we need past perfect)
(C) the strategy guidelines should be implemented quicker than they did in the past Incorrect (wrong tense; means as if guidlines did something)
(D) the strategy guidelines should be implemented more quickly than they have been in the past Incorrect (wrong tense)
(E) the strategy guidelines should be implemented more quickly than they had been in the past Correct. (sounds better, right tense)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 358 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Navpre wrote:
I believe D is correct.
It is mentioned in sentence "henceforth" (although we did not pay much attention to things between comma) which is emphasizing that the policy is followed till today and from now on it should be implemented quickly.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

I like the point that Navpre makes. When we are looking at verb tense, we have some grammatical things to consider as well as some meaning concerns. Grammatically, there are no issues between D and E. Therefore, we need to look at the meaning.

Past perfect is for past actions, but so is present perfect. The difference is that past perfect is for actions that happened in the past before another past action, while present perfect is for actions that happened in the past at an unspecified time, that happened in the past at multiple times, or that happened in the past and either affect today or are still true today. This is why "in the past" does not affect the outcome.

So, which tense? As others have mentioned, in order to use past perfect, we need to have another past action that comes after the past perfect action (and usually this past action needs to be the point in time at which the past perfect action stops). However, we do not have that here. Instead we have the present tense verb "states." This means we need to use either simple past or present perfect to describe the past action (no progressive tense because we are not referring to something happening during the past action).

So, why present perfect? In situations like this, look at the time modifier. Here, "henceforth" tells us that the change in policy starts now. Therefore, the past way of implementing the policy occurred until the present. This is exactly one of the uses for present perfect (occurs until now). We cannot use simple past unless we want to refer to a specific time period in the past instead of up until now.

Navpre: We always pay attention to things in between the commas (often times they create funny modifier errors) - the reason why you are told to ignore them is that they present extraneous information (information that is not necessary to distinguish the subject from other, similar subjects).

Therefore, I think the OA and OE are wrong. D is the correct answer.

This is a good example of why I advise test-takers to avoid questions that are not official GMAT questions. Often times they have major mistakes. You should only work verbal questions from the official guides, from GMATPrep, and from GMAT Paper Tests if you want accurate questions/answers.

yuvrajpratap wrote:
if I am right then ans should be d and not e because "strategy guidelines" is plural and requires have.

If you had to choose between "has" and "have," which are both for the present perfect construction, then you would be correct. However, "had," which is for the past perfect construction, is correct for both singular and plural subjects.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.49
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I'd like to weigh in briefly on this question, though in the same spirit of curious examination as the rest of you. This question seems a little bit fishy to me, for reasons I'll try to explain.

The correct use of the past perfect tense on the GMAT requires the existence of a verb in the simple past. As far as I can see, this sentence does not have one. The only verbs we get are "states", which is present tense, and "should be implemented", which is a conditional tense (more like future). Because there is no past tense, I cannot justify the past perfect. You could justify the SIMPLE past "more quickly than they were in the past", but that isn't an answer choice.

I realize the present perfect doesn't feel great, but I'd like to justify it thusly: because of the phrase "in the past", we are actually talking about something that CONTINUES to be true (i.e. it remains true, in the present, that this was going on IN THE PAST). This would lead me to a present perfect verb, as in answer choice D.

My actual preference would be for an answer choice that doesn't exist (as described above, with "were"), but because of the lack of a simple past verb, I don't see answer choice E being correct.

I'm open for debate, but feel confident.

Hope that helps!

Sir, need small clarification over the same question, its really confusing for me, because i was under assumption of eliminating options with quickly and checking with quicker..
so can we always eliminate options if they say quicker?? and look for more quickly or most quickly ???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT Date: 05-23-2015
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

I'd like to weigh in briefly on this question, though in the same spirit of curious examination as the rest of you. This question seems a little bit fishy to me, for reasons I'll try to explain.

The correct use of the past perfect tense on the GMAT requires the existence of a verb in the simple past. As far as I can see, this sentence does not have one. The only verbs we get are "states", which is present tense, and "should be implemented", which is a conditional tense (more like future). Because there is no past tense, I cannot justify the past perfect. You could justify the SIMPLE past "more quickly than they were in the past", but that isn't an answer choice.

I realize the present perfect doesn't feel great, but I'd like to justify it thusly: because of the phrase "in the past", we are actually talking about something that CONTINUES to be true (i.e. it remains true, in the present, that this was going on IN THE PAST). This would lead me to a present perfect verb, as in answer choice D.

My actual preference would be for an answer choice that doesn't exist (as described above, with "were"), but because of the lack of a simple past verb, I don't see answer choice E being correct.

I'm open for debate, but feel confident.

Hope that helps!

Dear Tommy,

Justification on past perfect is very well explained.
Can we consider "should" as the simple past equivalent of "shall" and then use past perfect in passive voice.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
OA should be D.
Present perfct cont used for the things started in the past the continuing in the future.
Here we need to see the words henceforth and should. They are suggesting that the changes to be made from now on-wards....
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts