Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The television network's advertisement for its new medical

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GPA: 3.98
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 16

The television network's advertisement for its new medical [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 04:50
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

21% (02:55) correct 79% (02:03) wrong based on 71 sessions
Have fun.

The television network's advertisement for its new medical drama grossly misrepresents what that program is like. Thus, it will not as effectively attract the sort of viewers likely to continue watching the program as would the advertisement that the program's producers favored; people who tune in to the first episode based on false expectations will be unlikely to watch subsequent episodes.

The argument relies on which one of the following assumptions?

A. Most viewers who tune in to the first episode of the program will do so because of the network's advertisement for the program.
B. The advertisement that the program's producers favored would not have grossly misrepresented what the program would be like.
C. Most people who tune in to the first episode of the program and become loyal viewers will not have tuned in to the first episode as a result of the network's advertisement for the program.
D. If the advertisement that the program's producers favored were used instead of the network's advertisement, almost all of the viewers who tuned in to the first episode would tune in to subsequent episodes as well.
E. Most people who become loyal viewers of a program do not miss the program's first episode.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If my posts are helping you show some love awarding a kudos

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 110

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The television network's advertisement for its new medical [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 05:34
i chose D. Please can you explain why D isnt OA?

Author articulates that : Thus, it will not as effectively attract the sort of viewers likely to continue watching the program as would the advertisement that the program's producers favored;

D clearly states that, all of the viewers who tuned in to the first episode would tune in to subsequent episodes as well. This is an assumption. What happens if ppl dont like the drama due to some other reasons?

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”

Expert Post
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 120

Re: The television network's advertisement for its new medical [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 05:49
Expert's post
Premise 1 : The Advertisement will misrepresent the program what it will be like.
Premise 2: People who watch the 1st program will not watch the subsequent programs due to this misrepresented ad.

Conclusion : Viewer is likely to continue watching program due to this ad selected by TV network, but they may continue to watch the program, if the ad favored by the program producers is aired.

Assumption : The Ad favored by producer will not Misrepresent the program.

POE:

A. Most viewers who tune in to the first episode of the program will do so because of the network's advertisement for the program- Out of scope
B. The advertisement that the program's producers favored would not have grossly misrepresented what the program would be like- Reword of the assumption what we came up.
C. Most people who tune in to the first episode of the program and become loyal viewers will not have tuned in to the first episode as a result of the network's advertisement for the program- Out of scope- we dont care about the loyal viewers.
D. If the advertisement that the program's producers favored were used instead of the network's advertisement, almost all of the viewers who tuned in to the first episode would tune in to subsequent episodes as well- Present relevant info but not the exact assumption what we are looking for.
E. Most people who become loyal viewers of a program do not miss the program's first episode- Out of scope.

For choosing between the B and D, we can do the negation test select between these two.

If we negate B- The conclusion is doesn't hold true.

on the other hand, while negating D- nothing happens to the conclusion.

Article on Negation test

So the answer is B 8-)

Quote:
gmat6nplus1 :Can you tell the source of this question?

Believe you can and you're halfway there- Theodore Roosevelt

My Blog

Rules for posting in Quants Forum || Rules for posting in verbal forum

Improving from V30 to V40 | Improving from Q35-40 to Q47 | Bunuel Special Problem Collections New!!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 590 Q40 V30
GPA: 3.98
WE: Project Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 16

Re: The television network's advertisement for its new medical [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 07:16
Gnpth wrote:
gmat6nplus1 :Can you tell the source of this question?

Sure, this is a LSAT question.

ankur1901 wrote:
i chose D. Please can you explain why D isnt OA?

The most relevant answers are B and D as Gnpth pointed out. What helped me to spot the right one is the semicolon that divides the the last two clauses. A semicolon, among other functions, join two related independent clauses of equal emphasis; this helped me identify that the last sentence is just statement that adds information to the real focal point of the passage and that it is not the focal point itself.

When I am down to two answer choices I honestly seek to spot any detail that can eventually be helpful. In this particular case that semicolon is what "did" for me.

Either suffer the pain of discipline, or suffer the pain of regret.

If my posts are helping you show some love awarding a kudos

Re: The television network's advertisement for its new medical   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2013, 07:16