Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [14]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Though the Pythagorean theorem is attributed to Pythagoras, [#permalink]
shaileshmishra wrote:
hi ,
even myself also chose D after eliminating A B E.
You mean to say if in option C we have until instead of prior to then also option D is correct because it is concise.
but as per my understanding option C's wording is more clear: the first proof of the theorem rather in option D Proof of what? it is not clear.

please suggest if i am wrong.

SKM
also until is prefered over prior to ===> is that GMAT preference you mean.

I do not remeber a single Offical Example in which "prior to" is used. As I said before, I cannot say that it's wrong by itself, but "until" is preferred

And yes, "proof of the theorem" would make the sentence more clear in my opinion. What is the source?
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 634 [2]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ratinarace wrote:
whats wrong with B??

Hi ratinarace, answer choice B changes the meaning and doesn't work with the rest of the sentence. The proof of the Pythagorean theorem is what appeared in Euclid's work, not the theorem itself. The unclear pronoun "it" seems to be referring back to the theorem itself, not the proof. As such, it is incorrect (as is E which also uses the pronoun "it").

As for D vs C, I saw it more as a subtle difference in meaning. "The choices are really:

C. the first proof (..) was not completed prior to
D. the first proof was not completed until

Between these two, the meaning of D is correct, it was not proven correct until 300 AD, when it was published. That's when it was proven. Answer choice C lacks a clear connection between the two. It was not completed before... some arbitrary timeframe... for example not completed prior to the fall of Rome (476 AD but let's just assume 476 BC for the sake of this question).

Was not completed prior to the fall of Rome --) timeframe with no causality
Was not completed until the fall of Rome --) timeframe with causality, this was completed at exactly that point.

Therefore the extra words in C do clarify the issue a little, but they don't matter compared to the meaning discrepancy between the two choices.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
ratinarace wrote:
whats wrong with B??

Hi ratinarace, answer choice B changes the meaning and doesn't work with the rest of the sentence. The proof of the Pythagorean theorem is what appeared in Euclid's work, not the theorem itself. The unclear pronoun "it" seems to be referring back to the theorem itself, not the proof. As such, it is incorrect (as is E which also uses the pronoun "it").

As for D vs C, I saw it more as a subtle difference in meaning. "The choices are really:

Between these two, the meaning of D is correct, it was not proven correct until 300 AD, when it was published. That's when it was proven. Answer choice C lacks a clear connection between the two. It was not completed before... some arbitrary timeframe... for example not completed prior to the fall of Rome (476 AD but let's just assume 476 BC for the sake of this question).

Was not completed until the fall of Rome --) timeframe with causality, this was completed at exactly that point.

Therefore the extra words in C do clarify the issue a little, but they don't matter compared to the meaning discrepancy between the two choices.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Thanks Ron! You're in fact one of the best out here. But let me tell ya something. How can a proof be completed? It should be the theorem that is completed not the proof. I'm smelling a meaning error over hear

Please clarify
Thanks!!
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
VeritasPrepRon wrote:
ratinarace wrote:
whats wrong with B??

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Thanks Ron! You're in fact one of the best out here. But let me tell ya something. How can a proof be completed? It should be the theorem that is completed not the proof. I'm smelling a meaning error over hear

Please clarify
Thanks!!
Cheers
J :)

Hi ratinarace,

If you closely look into the sentence given, it is stated that the 'the first proof was not completed until' blah blah..

So you can infer that there were multiple proofs for the same theorem..

So to answer 'how can a proof be completed?'

How can you start a second proof unless or until the first proof is completed?

And I guess every valid theorem has a proof, which needs to be completed.
I hope i made myself clear
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 316
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
avigutman not cler on the causality difference cited here
Which causality is there in until and not in prior to

VeritasPrepRon wrote:
ratinarace wrote:
whats wrong with B??

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I don't get why "when it appeared in Euclid’s Elements." modifier can't modify the theorem but only the proof?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts