Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Schools:Tuck'08
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Antmavel wrote:
Yeah the program seems nice and I've always been very interested in studying International Business, the finance and the marketing world are not my favorite field. It's clearly an interesting option for me but I am not sure that I can't get the same benefits if I go to a better school even if she is not specialized in International business. Today there are very few local market, everything is worldwide and I can not imagine that in the top 10/20/30 there are no schools studying it... :roll:

Moreover I can't understand how the school can be ranked 1st for international business in many newspapers but at the same time in the new Financial Times ranking, this school has the worst score for the employment after 3 months : 43% :!:

I think it's really an important criteria when you choose your MBA, you want to be sure to get at least a better job than now. I know Ranking are not everything but if you're the lowest, there must be some reason so the core classes seem great but the result is that after 3 months half of the people are jobless :evil:

That's why I have a lot of difficulties to analyze clearly this school...

There is no question but that Thunderbird has struggled to maintain its edge and unique identity, as well as recruiter interest, as the elite business schools have globalized their curriculum over the last ten years. You are using the data in the various rankings well, but you also have to get accepted somewhere with your particular set of qualifications. If the schools that will accept you aren't worth the investment, then you need an alternative to an American MBA.

You might ask Thunderbird about that FT stat. Perhaps it reflects a disproportionate number of grads who lack work permits and are trying to get jobs in the US. Perhaps it really reflects problems in their recruiting.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Thunderbird ? Reputation ? [#permalink]
thunderbird has an excellent reputation in international business. i know this as an alumnus and having had more than a decade overseas working with fortune 100 multinationals. the reputation is that it produces a very eclectic group of students who speak multiple languages, have lived in multiple countries and are planning to spend the bulk of their careers engaged in international work either through private industry, government or ngo. the admission to the school is not too competitive as it really is a self-selecting organization. you'll find that many of the students were not interested in attending other institutions or at most a select few in a similar academic space (read insead).

i feel that the issue of placement at the end of three months is a combination of many graduates refusing to take employment that is domestic in nature, foreign students (~45% of the mba student body) obtaining h1-b visas and a somewhat weak placement center. however, as an older, experienced manager going into the program, i had no delusions about the job search being on anyone else's shoulders.

i came into the program with a decade of management overseas and was pleased with the investment. that being said, there are quirks in system, bureaucracy in the administration and some professors who should be culled-not unlike you'll find in any other grad program.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Clarise. Can you describe more about the quirks and bureaucracy? Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot