Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Time to dedicate to the IR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones '15 (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Time to dedicate to the IR [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 23:37
I will be giving the GMAT in the first week of July and was wondering, what is the amount of time that should be given to the IR section? Not seeing much information here and was wondering what would be a good enough amount of time to do well on this section?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 9

Re: Time to dedicate to the IR [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 21:01
priyank24 wrote:
I will be giving the GMAT in the first week of July and was wondering, what is the amount of time that should be given to the IR section? Not seeing much information here and was wondering what would be a good enough amount of time to do well on this section?

Priyank,

In contrast to all the other sections, where a huge number of GMAT test takers have been there done that and lived to tell the tale, the IR section is the new (strange looking) kid on the block. So you won't find any stories of what really works for the majority.

So even if you do find posts recommending specific prep time for the IR section, skip them and go with the general rule of thumb i.e. spend enough time that makes you comfortable with the new section, not something that's recommended by others.

Come back and share your experience here, so other guys wondering about the IR section have some credible, first-hand data to dig into.

Good luck.

Sameer Kamat | Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-25-2012
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Time to dedicate to the IR [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 22:19
Hi, I recently attended a seminar where a Q&A round was held with Mr. Ashish Bharadwaj, Regional Director (South Asia), GMAC. I asked him about the weightage of the IR section when it comes to evaluation of the GMAT score. He said that colleges will not really consider IR scores this year as they do not have any access to previous IR scores and benchmarks, etc. Therefore, if you plan to give GMAT this year, I would advise that you still invest enough time. However, in case of a time crunch, based on Mr. Bharadwaj's inputs, you could probably get away with not investing much time in IR.

Hope that helped.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones '15 (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Time to dedicate to the IR [#permalink] New post 24 May 2012, 00:51
That kinda makes sense.. I was thinkin of jus goin over the questions in the GMATprep software. Was jus wonderin if a bad score will reflect badly..

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 558 [0], given: 114

Re: Time to dedicate to the IR [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2012, 18:57
IR was requested by Bschools to be added since AWA has become less and less important. Plus, the IR section was built by what Bschools wanted, so it includes testing of some very important business topics.

I agree that it will not be very important this coming year because there will be very little benchmarks to go off of, but it definitely could become more important going forward.

Tests change, as the needs and wants of Bschools change. The GMAC would be silly not to adapt...

But to answer the original question, it's been suggested that a test taker should dedicate at least 20 hours of study to the section depending on how strong they are with these skills to start with. SOme will need little to no time, some may need 40+ hours to really master it. Take it seriously.

The test will definitely be a little harder now! Good luck everyone

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Time to dedicate to the IR   [#permalink] 04 Jun 2012, 18:57