Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

timed tests performance really poor..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

timed tests performance really poor.. [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 05:24
HI all performing really bad on timed tests.. was able to get only 8 correct out of 20 questions and i have GMAT a week away from now.. but i know i can do better on quants if its not timed one.. i need serious help. how to improve performance on timed tests. should i go ahead take gmat now.. a very poor score of 400 or something might affect my admissions in the future right?
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2326

Kudos [?]: 9462 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: timed tests performance really poor.. [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 08:52
Expert's post
1. You should never take any questions untimed. Ability to solve a question in 3-5 mins is nice but that will not help you on the GMAT - the key is solving it under stress

2. Have you taken any practice tests?

3. See this post for help with time and timing issues: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: timed tests performance really poor.. [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2011, 16:25
hi there thanks a lot for ur reply. I have taken a practice test. i intentionally took an untimed one to check am i good in basics. yes i was able to get 32 to 33 correct on an untimed. on a timed one i kind of crumble looking at the time and only 23 or 24 is correct. i even feel like quitting the test since nothing goes into working out the problem on a timed one. on a untimed im pretty much fine with all the basics.. i need lot of CATs just for Quants where can i get it.. i think this will improve my timing
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1157

Kudos [?]: 5381 [0], given: 165

Re: timed tests performance really poor.. [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 02:56
Expert's post
iwillgetit100 wrote:
hi there thanks a lot for ur reply. I have taken a practice test. i intentionally took an untimed one to check am i good in basics. yes i was able to get 32 to 33 correct on an untimed. on a timed one i kind of crumble looking at the time and only 23 or 24 is correct. i even feel like quitting the test since nothing goes into working out the problem on a timed one. on a untimed im pretty much fine with all the basics.. i need lot of CATs just for Quants where can i get it.. i think this will improve my timing

Don't worry about time while going through the basics of a topic. Try and understand the concept properly. Try out some practice problems without worrying about time. As bb suggested, once you are comfortable with the topic, try the section tests only in the timed environment. It will help you get comfortable with the ticking clock. (If it were not timed, GMAT would be easy for almost everyone.)
Don't keep looking at the timer while taking the test (it will make you nervous) but you do need to develop an internal clock with practice. (Take some practice tests for that.) Additionally, check out this article. It tells you how to manage your time well.

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2010/10 ... for-field/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: timed tests performance really poor..   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2011, 02:56