Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1029 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1029 [0]
 Q50  V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1691 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: tryst with destiny [#permalink]
Hi

Congratz for a nice score......... After reading your post, i feel rejuvnated to take the GMAT again bcoz after two attempts and scroring 470 i thought i was finished and i can't achieve anything......... but u have proved nothing is impossible

I hope this time my luck also favours me.....

ATB............
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
gurpreet07 wrote:
Hi

Congratz for a nice score......... After reading your post, i feel rejuvnated to take the GMAT again bcoz after two attempts and scroring 470 i thought i was finished and i can't achieve anything......... but u have proved nothing is impossible

I hope this time my luck also favours me.....

ATB............

grab the bull by its horns and %$#^ it gurpreet!!!
talk to people ....lots of them.
thats one way you will definitely improve.
:bouncer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2730 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Congrats arjtryarjtry,

I always thought that GMAT is for people who are already good in math and verbal. And that I won't be able to crack this beast given that I am an average Joe. Today after reading your post, I feel I should work harder. You showed that hard work does pay off. I have exactly one month to go.

Can you please tell us the source of tons of problems that you posted daily ?

You are a source of inspiration to many others on this forum like me. All the best for your apps. Right now its time to party for you. :bouncer :woohoo

Enjoy
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
WOOHOO!!! Congrats!!! You math score is the same as mine ;)
It is really excellent news and a good example of my lovely principle: “You can reach all goals but there is only one person, who prevents you from achieving them – your reflection in a mirror

Good luck with your applications!!!
:beer
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
walker wrote:
WOOHOO!!! Congrats!!! You math score is the same as mine ;)
It is really excellent news and a good example of my lovely principle: “You can reach all goals but there is only one person, who prevents you from achieving them – your reflection in a mirror

Good luck with your applications!!!
:beer

thanks serg!!!
its time for me to :drunk
:wink:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Arj,
Can you debrief your Verbal preparation.?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Arj,
Truly inspiring post. Good luck with the applications and see you around in the forum.... Hope I follow the same route.

Cheers....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Send PM
Reading your debrief one day prior to my test is nothing but motivating.
Congratulations on your achievement!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2902 [0]
Send PM
hey arj,
congrats !!!happy for u :-D
actually yes u are the inspiration for people like me :-D even i gave up after a 550 in kaplan but hard work pays :-D definitely.Now im bucked up
God bless !!!Do well!!
keep posting :-D
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
x2suresh wrote:
Arj,

well... sure.
my studying for verbal was very crude. i always thought that my english is decent enough, and so, SC should not be a problem.I was totally mistaken. I began with theprinceton review, but i still didnt know what sort of mistakes to focus on etc etc, as there is more humor in that book than there is useful material . i later moved on to the OG, but it was all still very vague. i didnt know why one sentence was wrong, even though, i felt that it was correct. THE THING IS I HAD NOT LEARNT THE GMAT WAY ......when i began to read the forums , i discovered something everbody was mentioning, i.e the MGMAT SC guide. I still being the arrogant fellow iam thought to myself... " what can be there in that guide ,which is not there in other books. its just a psychological thing...." etc . But after a few weeks, when i did'nt see any improvement in my SC, i went through the guide and was really surprised to discover so many ways of shortlisting mistakes. I HAD A SET OF SHEETS ATTACHED TO THE GUIDE, in which i began to write down any net SC i would discover which were unusual. i wrote the entire SC, with the options, with a view that i would go thro it in the last minute. i always carried it around , and would read and read and read it again and again. Writing down some new SC also helped me.
also, sondenso's collection of gmat prep SC helped me. its a collection of about 185 sentences from the prep. i went thro that twice.
KAPLAN 800 SC also was excellent, though slightly different. i went through it twice . there are bout 100sc IN the book
For CR, nothing like the powerscore CR bible. i accidently discovered this , when a friend of mine suggested it to me. He told me to just go through it. (how can one just go thro 525 pages??) so i decided to go through the entire thing . i read the entire book about 2 times and marked different parts with different coloured pens , in order to differentiate. also the GMAT 800 BOOk cr is also quite good.apart from this, i went through tons of CR , well... on the forums, on material available on the net etc etc . i would try to relate with the gmat bible . i must have read atleast 700 CR.
For RC, i found this software called GMATTER, which is quite helpful. it is just like the gmat prep software , but it contains about 100 RC, with a same background and options etc. i went through about 50 RC, plus the entire RC on the 0G 11 , entire set of OG10 , entire set of OG VERBAL REVIEW, kaplan 800.
i also went thro every forum to search for the best way to get a good method to solve RC, but found that RC solving is unique to a person and it is something that one should try and develop on his own ,rather than get from someone.
But the key is practice , practice , practice and more practice. read , read and read.
when my dad or mom or friend used to say something, i used to think "ok they are concluding like this.... but what is the premise they are using? is what they say justified?". i began to view everyones way of talking like a SC or a CR and began to analyse it . it may seem strange , but probably thats how much fanatic i had become.
i hope this helps.
will be on the forum anyway, so am always available.
cheers and best of luck!!!!

Originally posted by arjtryarjtry on 15 Sep 2008, 19:01.
Last edited by arjtryarjtry on 16 Sep 2008, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2902 [0]
Send PM
arjtryarjtry wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
Arj,

well... sure.
my studying for verbal was very crude. i always thought that my english is decent enough, and so, SC should not be a problem.I was totally mistaken. I began with theprinceton review, but i still didnt know what sort of mistakes to focus on etc etc, as there is more humor in that book than there is useful material . i later moved on to the OG, but it was all still very vague. i didnt know why one sentence was wrong, even though, i felt that it was correct. THE THING IS I HAD NOT LEARNT THE GMAT WAY ......when i began to read the forums , i discovered something everbody was mentioning, i.e the GMAT SC guide. I still being the arrogant fellow iam thought to myself... " what can be there in that guide ,which is not there in other books. its just a psychological thing...." etc . But after a few weeks, when i did'nt see any improvement in my SC, i went through the guide and was really surprised to discover so many ways of shortlisting mistakes. I HAD A SET OF SHEETS ATTACHED TO THE GUIDE, in which i began to write down any net SC i would discover which were unusual. i wrote the entire SC, with the options, with a view that i would go thro it in the last minute. i always carried it around , and would read and read and read it again and again. Writing down some new SC also helped me.
also, sondenso's collection of gmat prep SC helped me. its a collection of about 185 sentences from the prep. i went thro that twice.
KAPLAN 800 SC also was excellent, though slightly different. i went through it twice . there are bout 100sc IN the book
For CR, nothing like the powerscore CR bible. i accidently discovered this , when a friend of mine suggested it to me. He told me to just go through it. (how can one just go thro 525 pages??) so i decided to go through the entire thing . i read the entire book about 2 times and marked different parts with different coloured pens , in order to differentiate. also the GMAT 800 BOOk cr is also quite good.apart from this, i went through tons of CR , well... on the forums, on material available on the net etc etc . i would try to relate with the gmat bible . i must have read atleast 700 CR.
For RC, i found this software called GMATTER, which is quite helpful. it is just like the gmat prep software , but it contains about 100 RC, with a same background and options etc. i went through about 50 RC, plus the entire RC on the 0G 11 , entire set of OG10 , entire set of OG VERBAL REVIEW, kaplan 800.
i also went thro every forum to search for the best way to get a good method to solve RC, but found that RC solving is unique to a person and it is something that one should try and develop on his own ,rather than get from someone.
But the key is practice , practice , practice and more practice. read , read and read.
when my dad or mom or friend used to say something, i used to think "ok they are concluding like this.... but what is the premise they are using? is what they say justified?". i began to view everyones way of talking like a SC or a CR and began to analyse it . it may seem strange , but probably thats how much fanatic i had become.
i hope this helps.
will be on the forum anyway, so am always available.
cheers and best of luck!!!!

Oh grt yes this helps !!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Arj
Congrats for awesome score. You nailed it :rocket . Good luck for application and essay.
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
subarao wrote:
Arj
Congrats for awesome score. You nailed it :rocket . Good luck for application and essay.

thanks...

Originally posted by arjtryarjtry on 15 Sep 2008, 23:53.
Last edited by arjtryarjtry on 15 Sep 2008, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
arjtryarjtry wrote:
subarao wrote:
Arj

thanks...

i owe this more to others who have helped me get there, more than my own contribution.Also , i dedicate this to so many people like me, who are just average, but have lots of dreams...and are trying and trying to crack the GMAT...
cheerio!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [0]
Send PM
congrats Arjun,

and well said in debrief ..... all the best for Apps
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
recieved my Analytical writing scores today..
got a 5 .
Current Student
 Q50  V34
Send PM
got my TOEFL score .. 113... major relief, as i took it one week after my GMAT, and used my GMAT skills to answer it .... ...
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37314 posts