Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Tuck Questions [#permalink] New post 09 May 2009, 18:08
Hi,

I have a couple questions.

1. I am curious if there is any advantage to applying to Tuck's Early Action round. I understand that it is non-binding, unlike Columbia's early action round. The Tuck website states that this round is for people who feel that Tuck is their number one choice, do they give some preference (easier to get in?) to applicants who apply in this round?

2. My post MBA goal is to work with one of the Big 3 Consulting firms (McKinsey, Bain, BCG) in San Francisco, my home-town. I know there are many other factors that go into choosing a school and getting a job, however I am trying to get more information regarding brand, reputation, and career placement of these schools. I am targeting top 5 schools, however I am trying to find a few schools that may be a little safer but still in the top 10 or 15. I am considering Tuck, Haas, Michigan and Duke. I have checked out their career websites and employment reports. However, unlike the Top 5, these schools seem to be a little less explicit regarding exactly how many students they place at each company. I am wondering how you would judge these 4 schools in terms of brand, reputation and most importantly how would you rank them in giving me the opportunity to work with one of the Big 3 consulting and getting me back to San Francisco.

3. What other schools outside of the Top 3-5 would give me the best chance to get into one of the Big 3 consulting firms?

Thanks in advance!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck Questions [#permalink] New post 16 May 2009, 07:10
mbaguy513,

1. Yes, your odds of admission should increase somewhat by applying Early Action (assuming your profile is competitive; applying Early Action will not help noncompetitive applicants). Make sure that you show Tuck in your essays that you have thoroughly explored their program.

2. Interesting question. Tuck, Haas, Michigan and Duke. Of these four, Tuck will be your best bet for placement at these firms (location aside), followed by Michigan and Duke. However, for placement at one of these three firms *in San Francisco* Haas would probably be your best bet. So Haas and Tuck are your best bets.

3. As for schools outside the top 5 who place folks at top consultancies, consider MIT and Cornell.

Hope this helps!

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter