Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper ($$)

  • 52% [76]
  • 18% [27]
  • 28% [41]
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 108
Location: Barcelona
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 12:26
Well, I have almost reached to the end. So far, I have been admitted to Tuck (no scholarship), Ross (scholarship of 10% of the tuition) and Tepper (scholarship of almost half tuition).

I am from europe and after the MBA I would like to join to a consulting firm. Afterwards I would like to start my own business in an environmental technology field. Without scholarships I would choose Tuck because I think I would have it easier to find a post-MBA job in a consulting firm. But with scholarship in the game I don't know if it is worth it to pay more, as I may find the same opportunities in the other schools. I like Ross because it has the MAP project, because the academic demanding is not as high as it is in Tuck (which means I could be able to involve myself in more tasks other than study) and because is a bigger university (I am from europe and I would like to live the experience of studying in big american student community). Finally Tepper offers me a substantially better schollarship and has a good technology reputation (I want to create a company in a technology field, therefore it might be important to have studied in Tepper).

I am also concerned about the problems of obtaining a visa after the MBA, and maybe companies who recruit in Tuck are more willing sponsor an international student. What do you think?

I appreciate your thoughts!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 885
Location: Earth
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 12:45
Add a poll to this post! Its more fun!

Anyway, Tuck is by far the best choice and even with no $$ the long term ROI is probably better given their die-hard alumni network (although the size of it is much smaller than Ross).
_________________

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Posts: 370
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 12:58
Raabend wrote:
Add a poll to this post! Its more fun!

Anyway, Tuck is by far the best choice and even with no $$ the long term ROI is probably better given their die-hard alumni network (although the size of it is much smaller than Ross).


i disagree with you if you want to look at it simply based on ROI.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 108
Location: Barcelona
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 13:42
Raabend wrote:
Add a poll to this post! Its more fun!

Anyway, Tuck is by far the best choice and even with no $$ the long term ROI is probably better given their die-hard alumni network (although the size of it is much smaller than Ross).


Done it!

How do you measure the ROI? is there any place to find some data about it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2007
Posts: 449
Location: USA
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 13:47
The only thing I can say is Ross would be out of the equation, if it were me. Hard to choose between the 2 remaining options.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 10 Jun 2006
Posts: 624
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 13:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
llest wrote:

How do you measure the ROI? is there any place to find some data about it?


Personally I think the whole idea of ROI calculations is completely bunk. I mean how on earth are we suppose to accurately project our earnings over the next 30+ years with an MBA vs without one? It's asinine IMO. Nonetheless, here you go :-D
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 16 May 2008
Posts: 885
Location: Earth
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 14:05
Haha, as IHateTheGMAT pointed out, there is no real way to measure ROI. When thinking about the ROI for yourself, think about what is really important for you in the future. As I pointed out after my ROI comment, Tuck's Alumni network is prehaps the most die hard of any school. That will be very useful in the long term regardless of what you want to do with your degree IMO.
_________________

"George is getting upset!"

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 14:07
Are you returning to Europe post-MBA? If so, you might want to talk to Antmavel, he went to Tuck and is now back in the UK. He could give you an idea on placement there.

If you're aiming from consulting post-MBA, Tuck has an advantage over Ross, but not to a huge degree. You can easily find out for yourself by looking at consulting placement at each school.

The one thing you have to remember about Ross' MAP project is that you list your top 10 and then you get assigned to a company. There is no guarantee that you'll get an international MAP project (if you're gunning for one) or if there are only a few companies in your field of interest, you might not get to work with them. Just keep that in mind.

If you want to consult I the big consulting companies are pretty good about sponsoring international students.

I think your comment about experiencing life at a big US university is a valid one! Don't dismiss it!

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 318
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2009, 18:10
I'd say the Ross money is insignificant so I'd look at it more like Tuck vs Ross vs CMU. I had to make a similar decision with my Consortium app. where you are required to rank your schools. I went back and forth on Ross and Tuck and in the end I decided on Ross because I felt as a career changer the MAP project would help me establish some work experience and allow me to show my passion for post MBA goals. I love both of the programs in a unique way, when the economy was better and I was thinking about brushing up more on my finance I gave Tuck the edge. Even though consulting is still my post MBA goal I felt I just had a better fit at Ross.

This is a very personal decision on fit. My summary is that if you are going to be a career changer I think MAP is a big deal if your not really making a drastic career change you might be better off at Tuck.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 108
Location: Barcelona
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 11:06
Thank you for your posts!

After the MBA I would like to stay in the US. I don't have a company where I want to work but I am now in operations and I would like to pass to consulting (post mba) or create my own company (I think I will do it after paying my debt, therefore consulting is the prior step).

A doubt I have is if the position that companies offer to Tuck students are the same that they offer to Tepper Students. Because a company can recruit in Tuck, Ross and Tepper but they can hire people for different positions of different quality/responsability.

EDIT: I have fixed my silly mistake :D
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2007
Posts: 370
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 1

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 11:09
llest wrote:
A doubt I have is if the position that companies offer to Tuck students are the same that they offer to Tuck Students.


I think this is true by default.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 318
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 11:25
I'm starting to find these threads very humorous, just to see how people pick schools. As stated earlier I really like Tuck, I've applied there but I picked Ross over Tuck for some personal reasons.

I think if you're asking if the type of jobs people get offered at CMU, and Ross, are sub par to Tuck then the idea of rankings/M7/etc. has altered your perspective of the opportunities available to students at top 10 schools. As many others on this board have stated that just attending a top school isn't going to get you into M/B/B you are really going to have to do the work and at that point there is basically no difference between these schools.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 1323
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 6

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$) [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2009, 12:23
llest wrote:
Thank you for your posts!
A doubt I have is if the position that companies offer to Tuck students are the same that they offer to Ross(?) Students. Because a company can recruit in Tuck, Ross and Tepper but they can hire people for different positions of different quality/responsability.


I assume you mean positions offered to Tuck students aren't the same offered to Ross students?

That may be true in certain industries or with specific companies, but I don't think there is that much difference between the schools. Ross is a very well respected MBA program and so is Tuck.

If you're concerned about it, contact each school's career office and ask about companies that hire for the position your looking for. You find out pretty quickly whether or not your suspicion is true.

RF
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$)   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2009, 12:23
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg vs Ross vs Tuck ekomenda 8 19 Feb 2014, 09:27
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ross vs Darden vs Tuck Vs Stern inception1003 29 31 Mar 2013, 04:26
Experts publish their posts in the topic Ross vs. Tepper-Operations tigerbeck 7 04 Mar 2011, 11:04
1 Tuck vs Ross vs Haas llest 14 10 Feb 2009, 06:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tuck vs Ross ($) vs Tepper($$)

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.