Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Investment Management
 Q50  V40
GPA: Dismal
WE 1: Information Technology (9 yrs)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.3 from top 5 ivy
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: UCLA, Haas or Ross for Investment Management [#permalink]
sj0509 wrote:
All,

I am applying to 5 schools for a specialization in Finance (Investment Management)

Columbia, Stern, Duke, Cornell and Tepper.

I am now looking at one of these 3 schools - Haas / UCLA and Ross - to make it the 6th school in my list. I have researched the 3 programs a little bit, and they each seem to have courses geared towards IM.

To clear up a bit of my confusion, can someone please shed some light on which of these schools might be a good pick in terms of Recruitment, Faculty, and Clubs. I am interested in Buy-Side Equity Research / Investment Management.

Thanks.

See the following placement stats at the three schools.

Graduating students who accepted jobs in the following functional areas:Finance/Accounting:
UCLA: 36%
Ross: 26%
Haas: 17%

Graduating students who accepted jobs in the following industries: Financial Services:
UCLA: 22%
Ross: 5%
Haas : 15%

Business Week has published the best bschools by specialty. See the following list for Finance:

University of Chicago
Columbia University
Duke University
Harvard University
University of Michigan
New York University
Northwestern University
University of Pennsylvania
University of Texas-Austin
University of Virginia

As per the rankings, Ross seems to be better. However, the placement stats show a different picture. The discrepancy can be answered by the broad spectrum of areas covered in 'Finance/Accounting' and 'Financial services' categories.

If I were you, I would speak to the students and alumni of these schools before finalizing them. Good luck!

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
@interviewbay:
Thanks for the post. Interesting Stats !
Yup its probably best to get the perspectives of current students / alums to help me decide.

@lawgonebusiness:
This list seem to be in Alphabetical order more than anything else - hence Penn, Texas & Virginia being at the end.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sj0509 wrote:
@interviewbay:
Thanks for the post. Interesting Stats !
Yup its probably best to get the perspectives of current students / alums to help me decide.

@lawgonebusiness:
This list seem to be in Alphabetical order more than anything else - hence Penn, Texas & Virginia being at the end.

Yes, the list is in alphabetical order. I just checked it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Ross 2010
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Finance is not as popular a career path at Ross as some other fields. The placement stats are also driven by interest and frankly just not very many people wanted jobs in that field. For example, probably less than 10% of my class even tried to land IB jobs which I expect is a lot smaller than at other schools. However, I do know a couple people who successfully landed IM jobs so it's definately possible. No idea how this compares to UCLA, and/or Haas although I have heard UCLA is extremely focused on LA so if you don't want to land there it might not make sense.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
skaballet wrote:
Finance is not as popular a career path at Ross as some other fields. The placement stats are also driven by interest and frankly just not very many people wanted jobs in that field. For example, probably less than 10% of my class even tried to land IB jobs which I expect is a lot smaller than at other schools. However, I do know a couple people who successfully landed IM jobs so it's definately possible. No idea how this compares to UCLA, and/or Haas although I have heard UCLA is extremely focused on LA so if you don't want to land there it might not make sense.

It is always good to know a current student's perspective. It gives the latest picture. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Completely agree with interviewbay.

@skaballet: Thanks for sharing ur views ...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
I'd choose UCLA if I were in your situation. Although it's the least well-rounded of the three, it tends to have the best placement in West Coast finance.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Avernusaur wrote:
I'd choose UCLA if I were in your situation. Although it's the least well-rounded of the three, it tends to have the best placement in West Coast finance.

@Avernusaur : Thanks, yes so I've been hearing as well ... Still researching but getting more inclined towards UCLA ..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck Class of 2013
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
Kudos to Lawgonebusiness - a special award for jumping off into the deep end without thinking for a really easy explanation.

:lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
I like Berkeley out of the 3 because its in San Fran. For investing purposes, I think your other schools are pretty solid finance picks, and out of the 3 schools I would say it would matter more what track or concentration you took.

With only IT experience, it will be kind of hard to go right into buyside without prior experience.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
trunksli wrote:
I like Berkeley out of the 3 because its in San Fran. For investing purposes, I think your other schools are pretty solid finance picks, and out of the 3 schools I would say it would matter more what track or concentration you took.

With only IT experience, it will be kind of hard to go right into buyside without prior experience.

True. It's not going to be easy to get into buy-side. I just cleared CFA L2 this june, and am planning to take L3 next year. Hopefully that will help a little bit. And then tailor my courses at b-school accordingly.

Ofcourse, at the end of the day, I've heard you have to demonstrate a passion for the markets, and that's the only thing that can get you through.
GMAT Club Bot