Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: University of Rochester - "priority candidate" [#permalink]
wwww wrote:
Avernusaur,

Thank you for your answer. I believe that they received my address from GMAC. I agreed to include my data into their search tool which is available to the schools. I never submitted my GMAT score to them nor have I to any other US B-school (i only tageted Asia until now). However, I am not sure whether they got access to my score via the GMAC search. My GMAT is 640 and their average seems to be in the 670 area.

I am 31 with 5 years of experience, so I would not qualify as the younger student that you mentioned. However, I just heard from a colleague that he once got a similar invitation from Boston and that he got accepted right away.

What is your feeling about this...would it be worth to apply?

Thank you :)

If the program matches your career goals and you have the spare time to complete an application, go for it. It's free anyway :)

Rochester - Simon Placement Stats
https://www.simon.rochester.edu/why-choo ... index.aspx
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I received the exact same letter as well. I'm not planning to apply to US B-schools either. However, those guys have taken the time and effort to send me an actual paper letter with a colourful brochure and stuff. This makes a nice impression; if I get dinged by my favourite European schools, I'll definitely look into this program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Nerdboy wrote:
I received the exact same letter as well. I'm not planning to apply to US B-schools either. However, those guys have taken the time and effort to send me an actual paper letter with a colourful brochure and stuff. This makes a nice impression; if I get dinged by my favourite European schools, I'll definitely look into this program.

Hold it there. Nice impression or not, their students are ~26 yo on average and the program is 2 years. No way.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
wwww wrote:
I just received a letter from the University of Rochester saying that I've been designated a "priority candidate" for admission and that they would even wave my admission fee. Is this worth anything, or do b-schools usually send out millions of these letters? I find this weird especially since my GMAT is below the school's average GMAT score.

Additionally, what do you think about the University of Rochester...would it be worth an application?

Maybe they want to ensure to admit someone from Switzerland. :)
Are you a girl by any chance? all these could put you on their priority list. Like Cambridge has 110 student, but they will probably be coming from 40 different countries.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
670 GMAT, never ever heard of the school until I got a nice package from them with the two magical words on it.

I'd be pretty excited if I weren't already planning to attend another school in Canada starting this fall.

Did a little research on this school, average gmat above 680, so should be a decent student body.

anyways. Is there actually any truth in this or is this simply another marketing scheme? Anyone?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I think they send a lot of these letters out. I received one last year and have a friend who also received the letter. My friend didn't apply but I did, and got waitlisted. I ended up withdrawing my application. So its no guarantee, but you might as well try since its free (That is if you like the school and everything). Good Luck!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
there was an article a few months back about schools doing this in an effort to game the system. in essence, they get a lot more candidates who apply because 1) they are "priority candidates" and 2) it's free.

the applicants get a free app. the school gets to reduce their acceptance % (since more people are now applying for the same # of spots). it's a win win for everyone involved.

law schools and undergraduate schools have been doing this for some time, but i guess that b-schools are also stepping up to play the game as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Schools:Simon Graduate School of Business '13
Send PM
I received the notice about becoming a "Priority Candidate" as well. I also received this from Tepper.

I didn't consider either school to begin with, but I will say, both letters prompted me to research their MBA programs. After a lot of research and speaking with students and faculty, I am probably applying to Simon this coming fall.

I guess the point of my story-
Schools also use this method to get their name out there. This is especially true for schools located outside of major metro areas (Simon is a perfect example).
GMAT Club Bot