Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:04 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MC
Schools:Wharton, MIT, Kellogg, Tuck
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management
Schools:Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Re: unusual choice of recommenders question [#permalink]
Agree with everyone here...I think you should definitely mention this in the optional essay to make your intentions clear. I would think this should help at the very least to deliver a clear message (as opposed to the adcom wondering negatively why you wouldn't ask a current supervisor)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MC
Schools:Wharton, MIT, Kellogg, Tuck
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Thanks for the replies. I read on the Wharton s2s site that an explanation is not necessary (posted by a current student). So, I was not sure.

As for getting a recommendation from my manager's manager, I have worked with him on a few projects and he knows me very well. So, I think I am ok there.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
aap wrote:
I am not getting a recommendation letter from my current manager or from anyone at my current employer as I do not want them to know that I am applying for an MBA. I am getting a recommendation from a manager I worked with on a couple of projects at my previous employer and my manager's manager at my previous employer as well (all within the past 3 years of contact). Should I use the optional essay question (for schools that have that option) to explain my (unusual?) choice of recommenders or is this practice considered normal enough that it does not warrant an explanation in the optional essay?

Thanks

Just out of curiosity - how long have you been with this current employer? How long ago did you work with the managers who are recommending you?

Personally, I would not waste much precious essay space on the topic - the LORs will speak for themselves.

I asked a similar question to a few ADCOMS - in my case, I have been on a new, unorthodox assignment for a short time, and getting my current manager to write an LOR would result in something "incomplete". Generally, all the schools I asked said it was very common for applicants being afraid of antagonizing their current bosses, and it would not be held against them. The only school that even thought it was an issue was Stanford, and they simply wanted a submitted statement as to "why".
GMAT Club Bot