Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:22 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1237 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
go girl [#permalink]
u go girl
good to hear from a girl
:)
i am happy for u
i am bad in math, any tips or advice for math and RC
how did u study and how often and how many hours. How did you retain the info you were studying. thanks
:)how did u keep your confidence and your belief in yourself?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
botirvoy,
Thank you for the kind words.
I have a degree in Finance from a well-respected public university in the US. Relocated to the US from Eastern Europe in 2000. Currently work in Corporate Finance in the Financial Services sector. As far as my target schools go, I am thinking Ross, Duke, Kellogg, and Darden but haven't narrowed down my top 5 yet. How about you?

botirvoy wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:
In Eastern Europe we manage to learn integrals and calculus but not word problems :o

This is soooo true!

What a killing you made though! :shock:

Your post reads like a rap :lol: - that is a power of 720! :lol:

what is your background? where are you applying?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: UPDATED - 720 (Q42, V47) NOT TOO BAD FOR A GIRL, EH? :) [#permalink]
Hi,
Congratulations on your score!
I almost got teary reading about your dedication. I'm really having a tough time improving my score on the exams. I read all about people consistently scoring in the 700s and I get more hopeless.

Throughout high school and college I did well in math classes, but GMAT is so different.

My test date is end of November and I'm honestly very overwhelmed. I'm scoring atrociously low (mid 500s) and I'm very discouraged.

I'm debating taking a course, but I'm in a financial difficulty. You mentioned that you took Manhattan GMAT course (was it the virtual online course?) and that you got a lot out of it. Would you recommend to someone who's not a stellar self-studier? I am willing to come up with the money and dedicate all my time and effort if it comes highly recommended.

I really have high hopes for Fall 2008 and I really want to do well on the GMAT. I guess it all depends on how confident I am and how well I prepare myself.

Verbal is what gets me the most. I've been doing problems after problems and I'm not improving in my scores at all. How did you study all three sections on the verbal? Where can I find the Brutal SC attachment?

Thanks for your debrief,
Aeri
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the write-up. There is hope for me yet!

Fantastic score that is well deserved :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations !!! Its very inspiring and comforting to see girls scoring 700+ . I hope I will also get there one day.
Thanks for Brutal Sc and Powerprep links.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
No problem. Hard work does pay off, and I'm sure that with the right strategy and effort you will get the score you are targeting.

gmat_march wrote:
Congratulations !!! Its very inspiring and comforting to see girls scoring 700+ . I hope I will also get there one day.
Thanks for Brutal Sc and Powerprep links.
Current Student
Send PM
Aeri,

I think you need to identify exactly where your weaknesses are and then go from there, targeting them one by one. Do I recommend MGMAT course? Yes. Does it help everyone? No. If you are having difficulties with studying on your own, I'd say take the course. Top 2-year MBA programs require at least $60,000 just in tution costs. $800 investment for a class that might get you in one of those chools faints in comparison. If you decide to not take the couse, make sure to buy MGMAT's SC guide. It helped me a lot with the basics and refreshed the concepts very well. I don't think there is anything better on the market right now for the SC.
I have attached the Brutal SCs file in my review. If you can't see the attachment, PM me and I will forward it to you.
I have received a lot of PMs with questions about my study strategy in verbal and math. I'm not sure if my study strategy for math can be beneficial for anybody as I didn't do very hot in this section (i guess it's all relative though) but am planning to edit my debrief to include a detialed study strategy for verbal and possibly math.
Don't get discouraged! You will get the score you want with a right strategy. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

prospective mba wrote:
Hi,
Congratulations on your score!
I almost got teary reading about your dedication. I'm really having a tough time improving my score on the exams. I read all about people consistently scoring in the 700s and I get more hopeless.

Throughout high school and college I did well in math classes, but GMAT is so different.

My test date is end of November and I'm honestly very overwhelmed. I'm scoring atrociously low (mid 500s) and I'm very discouraged.

I'm debating taking a course, but I'm in a financial difficulty. You mentioned that you took Manhattan GMAT course (was it the virtual online course?) and that you got a lot out of it. Would you recommend to someone who's not a stellar self-studier? I am willing to come up with the money and dedicate all my time and effort if it comes highly recommended.

I really have high hopes for Fall 2008 and I really want to do well on the GMAT. I guess it all depends on how confident I am and how well I prepare myself.

Verbal is what gets me the most. I've been doing problems after problems and I'm not improving in my scores at all. How did you study all three sections on the verbal? Where can I find the Brutal SC attachment?

Thanks for your debrief,
Aeri
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
wow your verbal is skewed ... Not sure how to take this? Would you say the same about someone scoring Q51 which also corresponds to the 99th percentile? I don't think that "skewed" is the right term to use here :roll:
good job though!
Good job THOUGH? Again, don't really understand what you mean by this... Are you implying that 47 is too high???

I have been a gmat club lurker for a few weeks now, it's an amazing resource for anyone considering business/finance degree and taking the gmat.

This post forced me to register and comment. The tone of this person's comment is so disrespectful.

'skewed'?! 'good job though'??! if you have nothing good to say, dont say anything at all.

anyway, I think you did a fantastic job and your verbal score is mindblowing. I am taking the exam in a month & half and hope to emulate you. :)

good luck with apps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
me thinks bmwhype2 might need some internet posting etiquette training ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 679 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i know what you mean about gmat math being a completely different animal.

i majored in math in undergrad and yet gmat math kills me. of course we never focused on number properties & word problems. i started my undergrad math with calc 3 and ended with abstract algebra etc.

so i am trying to brush on my basics for number properties, mixtures, rates, tricky probability etc. and as a math major can i just say how much i do not like data sufficiency, i would rather do real analysis than DS problems! ::shudder::

congrats on your great score. your verbal rocks!! :-D

PS. sorry to see the mean comment from a fellow gmat club member.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I added some tips for verbal preparation, as suggested by GMATclubbers here:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=50635

I hope that you will find them helpful:)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
nervousgmat wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
wow your verbal is skewed ... Not sure how to take this? Would you say the same about someone scoring Q51 which also corresponds to the 99th percentile? I don't think that "skewed" is the right term to use here :roll:
good job though!
Good job THOUGH? Again, don't really understand what you mean by this... Are you implying that 47 is too high???

s/he is coming off in such a way that s/he might have intended it as a backhanded compliment. :roll:

i hope that was not the original purpose... even if the intent was subliminal... people like that = not cool
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
gm1 wrote:
nervousgmat wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
good job though!

I have been a gmat club lurker for a few weeks now, it's an amazing resource for anyone considering business/finance degree and taking the gmat.

This post forced me to register and comment. The tone of this person's comment is so disrespectful.

'skewed'?! 'good job though'??! if you have nothing good to say, dont say anything at all.

anyway, I think you did a fantastic job and your verbal score is mindblowing. I am taking the exam in a month & half and hope to emulate you. :)

good luck with apps!

gm,

you will find some condescending douchebags on this board with similar comments. unfortunately, their 750's will never compensate for their assholiness or immaturity.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
r019h wrote:
i know what you mean about gmat math being a completely different animal.

i majored in math in undergrad and yet gmat math kills me. of course we never focused on number properties & word problems. i started my undergrad math with calc 3 and ended with abstract algebra etc.

so i am trying to brush on my basics for number properties, mixtures, rates, tricky probability etc. and as a math major can i just say how much i do not like data sufficiency, i would rather do real analysis than DS problems! ::shudder::

congrats on your great score. your verbal rocks!! :-D

PS. sorry to see the mean comment from a fellow gmat club member.

i feel the same way. i *loved* calculus. I could do calc I problems in my sleep. I NEVER liked math but once I took calculus i thought it was elegant and I was in awe at how it explained so much of the world around us.

GMAT Quant. ugh... not so much. I must say however, that number properties and theory are very interesting... and i like reading about far out number theory stuff (things like ulam's spiral... mersenne primes... how 0.999.... = 1) it just is not very USEFUL for many people!!

mixture and rate problems in and of themselves are not very difficult (they are actually common algebra I type stuff) but it is the timing conditions... the carefully devised answer choices... and the way the ask them that make them difficult. you are practically GARUNTEED to see these two types of problems on the GMAT.

if number properties are you weakness do not fret... i was surprised how few NP questions I had on my exam!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nervousgmat wrote:
Just got back from the test center. Needless to say, I am emotionally overwhelmed now, and yes, I cried like a girl after seeing my score! It has been a long journey for me with a great ending. All I can say is that hard work DOES pay off.

Will wright the debrief later as I really want to go party now!
WAWA-WEEH-WAH!

UPDATE AS PROMISED:

I started studying in January. Took a Manhattan GMAT on-line course - highly recommended - and followed the class program very thoroughly. I ended up buying a bunch of books based on the reviews I read on the net, such as Arco GRE/GMAT book, Powerscore's CR, Kaplan 800, in addition to the usual package that comes with MGMAT class. I recommend Arco's book for everyone having math problems. It's an excellent book for non-engineers and / or people who haven't had exposure to math for a long time. It covers all the basics very well. It helped me "relearn" a lot of concepts I have forgotten.

I have never thought that math will be so hard for me. After all, my grades in math and stats in schools were always A’s. But I guess GMAT is a different animal. Plus I discovered that I’ve never really learned a lot of concepts that are tested on the GMAT, such as number properties, combinatorics, and word problems. I attribute this to the cultural bias. In Eastern Europe we manage to learn integrals and calculus but not word problems :o

So I completed the course during which I took 3 CATs, scoring 640, 550, and 650 in January, February and March respectively. Although I felt like I learned a lot, my quant did not rise above 39 through March. My verbal was stronger from the start – I scored a 38 the first time I took MGMAT CAT. I gathered enough courage to take my first GMATPrep in April but scored only 560 (can’t remember the split). That was an awakening moment for me but to keep me going and put some pressure on myself, I scheduled my first test in May. I spent April and May taking more GMATPreps and studying quant. I studied on the weekends 8-10 hours a day, and on the train to/back from work every weekday. My work is very demanding in terms of hours, and highly inflexible; hence studying primarily on the weekends. Anyhow, after rigorous studying and scoring consistently in high 600’s and having a couple of GMATPreps with 750 in my pocket (they were repeats, so the scores weren’t representative of my true abilities), I was convinced that I will score at least a 680 on the real test.

Boy, was a wrong! I ended up screwing up my time management entirely on the real test. I admit, I always had timing problems but I guess the pressure of getting every question right got a hold of me, and I ended up half-guessing on the last 15!!! problems in quant. I made the same mistake in verbal, guessing on the last 10 questions. Don’t make the same mistake and don’t let pride get the best of you. If you don’t know the answer, guess and move on! Otherwise, you will get sucked in the big black hole with no chance to get out :shock: That being said, I ended up with a 600 (36Q, 38V) on my test. I was devastated not only because I scored that low, but because I invested all my spare time for 5 months in preparation for the GMAT.

In a week or two I regrouped, making a decision to not slave over my quant anymore. I accepted that my quant score will never get above 45. Instead, I concentrated on my strength, verbal, and getting my time management straight. I did 500 SCs and quite a few CRs and RCs out of 1000 docs collection. At the same time, I did timed quant problems, finishing 20 quant questions in no more than 40 minutes. After a while, I “felt” the length of 2 minutes.

In the last 2 days of my preparation, I did not take any tests at all. Instead, I reviewed the formulas and relaxed as much as I could under the circumstances ;) I did not want to take any chances; that’s why took a sleeping pill the night of the test. My test was scheduled for 1:15. I had a filling breakfast and made sure that I had some snacks for the breaks during the test. I managed my time much better this time, guessing only on the last 5 questions in quant (ok, I still have time-management problems :)). I told myself that I would kill verbal no matter what. While I was taking the verbal section, I felt like the questions were too easy and started thinking that I wasn’t doing too hot. I prayed to get a 680 as I was going through the motions of already pre-filled screens with the information I filled out the first time I took the test. My heart was pounding, my hands were sweating as I thought that I will not see the dreamed score but I was determined not to cancel my score no matter what. I closed my eyes as the computer hang for a while displaying a torturous hourglass on the screen… when I finally opened my eyes, I saw a 720. I turned around to look at the proctor, raised my hand… she was busy explaining something to a guy. I turned and looked at my score again. It didn’t change :P 42Q 47V for a total of 720 stared back at me. The question appeared on the screen asking me if I want to end my exam. Yes, I want to finish my test now, you dumb machine! I already got the score!!!

Some tips: confidence is 50% of the score you get on the GMAT. I really believe that. If you want to score highly in verbal, nail the SCs. They are time-savers and probably the only verbal area that if studied consistently can be improved upon. I am attaching a Brutal SCs document I found on GMATClub that has the toughest SCs you will probably come across. If you hit an 80% accuracy on these suckers, you are 100% prepared for the GMAT SCs.

Whew! That’s my debrief… turned out to be a long one… Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, and good luck with your GMAT!

Congratulation. How long have you spent for this? I have 5 months ahead. Is it alrite?
May you give me some suggestion on books??????

thanks a bunch
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
maxmeomeo,
5 months is usually more than enough.
I highly recommend Manhattan GMAT guides.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
query [#permalink]
Thanks a lot. Im working on OG11 and some other Set test. I save GMAT Prep for the last. What's about Kaplan? Is it tougher than the real test? As far as im concerned, Mahattan is much more about theories, tips...than exercises. Other books for practice should be...???

Btw, if you dont mind, could you help me with this CR. Actually CR delights me a lot. Still, I seem not to find the most effective approach to it.

Here's the question:

The following proposal to amend the bylaws of an organization was circulated to its members for comment.
When more than one nominee is to be named for an office, prospective nominees must consent to nomination and before giving such consent must be told who the other nominees will be.
Which of the following comments concerning the logic of the proposal is accurate if it cannot be known who the actual nominees are until prospective nominees have given their consent to be nominated?
(A) The proposal would make it possible for each of several nominees for an office to be aware of who all of the other nominees are.
(B) The proposal would widen the choice available to those choosing among the nominees.
(C) If there are several prospective nominees, the proposal would deny the last nominee equal treatment with the first.
(D) The proposal would enable a prospective nominee to withdraw from competition with a specific person without making that withdrawal known.
(E) If there is more than one prospective nominee, the proposal would make it impossible for anyone to become a nominee.

Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
query [#permalink]
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts