Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29934 [0]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Urgent Help required. [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi drashi17,

A 690 is a fantastic initial CAT score, so with some adjustments you should be able to hit your goal score. With this first CAT, you've come to experience some of the 'issues' that you'll face on Test Day (fatigue, pacing, endurance, etc.). Unfortunately, you have just 3 weeks before your Official GMAT; that might not be enough time to properly 'fix' all of the things that need fixing.

1) Do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date (even if it's just for a few weeks)?

When you took this CAT:
1) Did you take the FULL CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take it at the same time of day as your Official GMAT?
3) While taking this CAT, did you do ANYTHING that you won't be allowed to do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, eat/drink while taking it, etc.)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks for your time,
I'm afraid I can't push back my test date for various reasons.

1) For essay, I just outlined assumptions and flaws, as I have memorized chineseburned template for the same and for IR, I scored 5 in it.
2) My real test is scheduled at 9:30AM, but I took my practice test at 11:30AM.
3) No, I haven't paused in the practice test, but during the 8 minutes break I ate and drank some stuff.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi drashi17,

To consistently score at a 740+ level, you really have to commit to training for exactly what you will face on Test Day. Among other things, that means you have to take the FULL CAT (outlining the Essay isn't enough, you have to physically type it because that is one of the things that you will have to do on Test Day). The more details that you can account for during your training, the higher the likelihood that you'll be ready to face them when you take the Official GMAT. The more your practice CATs vary/differ from what you'll face, the greater the likelihood that your score will drop (because you weren't properly prepared).

Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Please find my answers inline:

1. Did 4 wrong answers among the first 10 questions affect my score?
Yes, this is possible, first 10 questions do play an important role in your final score as they set the base for the following questions.
2. After reviewing I could have got 3(out of 5) SC questions and 1 (out of 2) CR questions right. So how do I avoid silly mistakes in the real GMAT.
This can be avoided by the help of practice. The more you practice, the more familiar you become with the questions and lesser the mistakes.
You can practice the Official Questions from OG, Verbal Review, Question Pack1 and also the Exam Pack1
3. 'A certain tropical island received', this was the other CR question I got wrong. The reason for this was that I didn't understand what 'This result is relevant because....'. How do I avoid such mistakes?
I am not exactly sure about your question here. If you can post the entire CR, that would help.
4. Even after knowing all the SC rules I was pathetic at applying the e-gmat 3 step process in the test (If I had,I would have got 3 SC questions right)
This again reflects a lack of practice. Applying the rules should become an intrinsic nature. As soon as you see the SC, you should start thinking about the rules. Fortunately this can be achieved, but you need to practice for it.
5. With last 5 minutes remaining I had 1RC passage and 2 SC questions to be answered. How could I time my test so as to finish it in time.
Not completing the test attracts a huge penalty. Timing issues can be avoided by making a grid on your scrap book. Put does certain milestones in your test and identify the time. Write it on the scrapbook. Now try to follow it. If your are lagging behind, you can skip/guess intelligently a question to get back on time.
6. While in verbal section, my head was getting heavy (slight head ache). How do I overcome this?
This is again related to practice. GMAT is like a marathon. You need to prepare well for it and to prepare for a marathon, you need to run for 42 kms, before you compete in one. Same with GMAT, you need to sit for 4 hours during the mock CATs. Make sure you take the CATs along with AWA and IR.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks to all,
Finally I took my GMAT and scored 680, which I'm not at all satisfied with. My final score in quant was 49 and in verbal 34. I'm going to take my GMAT again on feb 21. Reasons for my failure were
- Not following the planned strategies in the final GMAT.
- Not timing the verbal part.
And my strategy is to review OG and verbal review, take as many mocks as possible. I welcome any other suggestions. Target score would be around 730.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi drashi17,

First off, a 680/Q49 is a strong score (it's above the 85th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. Before retaking the GMAT, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

If you're sure that you're going to retest, you should take note of the advice I offered in the prior posts - the way that you chose to prepare before wasn't enough to get you to the 740+ level that you were originally seeking.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
drashi17 wrote:
Thanks to all,
Finally I took my GMAT and scored 680, which I'm not at all satisfied with. My final score in quant was 49 and in verbal 34. I'm going to take my GMAT again on feb 21. Reasons for my failure were
- Not following the planned strategies in the final GMAT.
- Not timing the verbal part.
And my strategy is to review OG and verbal review, take as many mocks as possible. I welcome any other suggestions. Target score would be around 730.

A 680 is a strong score and an indicator that you can achieve higher with minor tweaks in your preparation.
You can score some points in Verbal and may be Quants too.

The official questions are the best as they are designed by the creators of the test themselves.
I would recommend you to buy the Question Pack1 from mba.com

When you say "not timing the verbal part", do you mean that you did not mark some of the questions on the Verbal section?
If yes, this would have affected your score a lot as there is a big penalty for not completing the sections.

Regarding the mocks, always remember just taking the mock CATs does not help.
Taking them by mimicking the GMA situation and then learning from the mistakes help. So make sure you do not take too many mocks, as then you might not get enough time to evaluate and assess your mistakes.

There are many courses that offer you a score increase guarantee. Even our company offers one.
You can have a look at the courses and see if it suits your needs.
GMAT Club Bot