Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-15-2012
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28574 [8]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30801 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-15-2012
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Re: Usage of Which [#permalink]
Kudos
Mike, Shradda
Thank you both for responding and for your wonderful explanations. Now I am totally clear about this concept. I truly appreciate it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
GPA: 3.59
WE:Sales (Retail)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Simba2012 wrote:
Hi Ron,
I went through your videos and have a question about usage of "which"

Below text is from your videos: This is what you said:
"Which" modifier can modify:
*the NOUN that IMMEDIATELY PRECEDES THE COMMA;
--OR--
* the NOUN + PREP PHRASE that immediately precedes the comma

"You are going to use context to figure out which of these is the case"

1) The old capitol building in benecia, which was the capital city of california for a few years in 19th century, is a historic landmark.
here which modifies NOUN only- benecia

2) the old capital building in benecia, which was built in under a year when the city was designated capital of california , is now a landmark.

here which modifies NOUN+PREP PHRASE - capital building in benecial

But in following passage
3) The passage of the anti -Cybersquatting consumer protection act in 1999, which allows companies....
here usage of "which" is incorrect " this PREP PHRASE is a separate description, so you can't jump it.

Now my question is what is the difference between 2) and 3). In both sentences which is referring to NOUN+ PREP PHRASE then why is 2) correct
but 3) is incorrect?
Perhaps there is subtle difference that I am missing. can you clarify please?

Dear Simba2012

I don't know who Ron is or what videos he made, but I am happy to help with this question. I believe the distinction you are missing is that of a vital noun modifier vs. a non-vital modifier. First of all, you may find these two links helpful:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/that-vs-which-on-the-gmat/
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... modifiers/

This distinction is precisely what makes the difference between #2 and #3.

2) The old capital building in Benecia, which was built in under a year when the city was designated capital of California , is now a landmark.

Let's just pull out the core sentence "The old capital building in Benecia is now a landmark." That sentence is perfectly clear. Now remove the prepositional phrase: "The old capital building is now a landmark." If we just saw this sentence, without the preceding context, we would have absolutely no idea which old capital building was under discussion --- it could be anywhere in the world. In this sentence, the preposition phrase "in Benecia" is a vital noun modifier, because it makes clear which "old capital building" we are discussion --- it clarifies what otherwise would be a hopelessly ambiguous sentence. Here's the big idea: vital noun-modifiers rank above the "modifier touch rule" --- that is, a vital noun-modifier can come between a noun and the clause that modifies it. That's why #2 is perfectly correct.

3)The passage of the anti-Cybersquatting consumer protection act in 1999, which allows companies....
Trainwreck! Here, we want the clause "which allows companies" to modify "the anti-Cybersquatting consumer protection act." Imagine the sentence without the preposition phrase "in 1999". It would still be 100% clear. We don't need that prepositional phrase to tell us "which" anti-Cybersquatting consumer protection act is under discussion. Presumably, there is only one law with that name, so no clarification about its identity is needed. The prepositional phrase "in 1999" is a non-vital modifier, here in gross violation of the modifier touch rule. That's why #3 is a disastrously incorrect.

Does this distinction make sense? This is an important one for the more difficult questions on the GMAT SC.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :-)

"We don't need that prepositional phrase to tell us "which" anti-Cybersquatting consumer protection act is under discussion. Presumably, there is only one law with that name, so no clarification about its identity is needed. The prepositional phrase "in 1999" is a non-vital modifier, here in gross violation of the modifier touch rule."

Well, let ask this question: Which passage of anti-cyber... act are we talking about? Was that the one in 1990 or the one in 1999? So then, how could it be non-vital modifer? It is definitely ambiguous without the information of the year. We don't know which one we are talking about. Please advise.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts