Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

VC internship for M/B/B?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
VC internship for M/B/B? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 18:30
Hello All,

I am currently at a top 10-15 ish bschool (finishing up 1st yr), with about 6 years of tech experience, mainly in small companies. Baaaad GPA. I really wanted to get into strategy consulting at MBB, and Asia in particular, so I networked quite a bit and landed an interview at Bain Asia for the summer internship position. Got to 2nd round but no offer. No interviews from McK or BCG, I assume due to GPA.

For the summer, I will be working at a Singapore-based VC firm with US 1.3 billion AUM. I will be working in their new China office..they seem to be doing well and are quite active there. The firm itself is the venture arm of a much larger SWF. I am not sure what I will be doing as the internship is not very structured (like most VC internships), but I do know it will be mostly front-office type of work (NOT fixing computers, making coffee lol)

This seems like a pretty good gig for the summer, but I doubt they will be giving an offer full time since landing a full time gig in VC is so hard. Assuming I do not get a full time offer:

1) How does a VC internship look for MBB recruiting full time this fall?

2) Will a good internship + networking overcome low grades for MBB?

3) Does anyone have updated knowledge on the status of full time hiring at MBB for this fall, class of 2010? I know economy sucks and all the big 3 have laid ppl off, reduced the size of their 09 intern class, and also deferred their 09 FT offers...this sounds to me that for 2010 they will hire close to ZERO, espeically in their smaller asia offices. If they give any FT offers it will probably go to their interns I assume. Agree?

Let me know yout thoughts, thanks.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: VC internship for M/B/B? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 22:13
No clue how VC will be looked at...I dont think VC internships are a huge feeder since I doubt interest overlaps too much (probably true of many things outside internal strategy, operations, and GM) and I dont think M/B/B is doing much consulting work for VC firms like they do for PE and IBs. But they do care about how smart you are (unfortunately GPA/GMAT plays a role in that), ability to nail their cases, and anything special you will bring to the table. In the past plenty of folks end up with fulltime jobs at the big MC firms without an internship at them.

From what I have heard...tons of FT offers are being pushed back. Lots of start dates are now Nov 09 - Feb 10 vs typical Aug/Sept start. There isn't a ton of work and plenty of consultants are not on projects. I would not be shocked to see some offers rescinded and/or the up or out level changed. Instead of 10% they could repeat what happened in the winter of 2002 and increase that percentage drastically.

Rumors have it that outside of interns there will be very very few offers for fulltime people next year. Certain offices are doing much better than others, so you might get lucky but that really depends on location. Remember beyond interns from MBA's, the top firms also have all their sponsored folks. In a good year here they may give 50+% of their fulltime offers to folks who aren't sponsored or their interns but I doubt that will be the case next year. One thing to look at is how they recruited at your school for fulltime folks...did they expand well beyond their interns or not. I bet at some schools where they only take a few fulltime, most of those were interns.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: VC internship for M/B/B? [#permalink] New post 21 May 2009, 22:52
Are the bad grades from B-school, or undergrad. I obviously am not in B-school yet and don't know too much about this. Do potential employers look at your undergrad grades as well as your GMAT score, just like a school might?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: VC internship for M/B/B? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2009, 22:20
Thanks River, for the insights.

I actually talked to a few people in consulting, and they seems to say that VC is best simply becuase of the prestige (hard to get in), especially since its a big fund...is that not the case?

I hope I didn't make a mistake...initiallly i was debating my VC offer against a couple boutique ibanking offers, and was also invited to interview for IBM consulting...after speaking to some people in MBB, they seem to agree that the VC is best, since my IB offers were from tiny firms with like 20 ppl and questionable deal flow. Also, they said IBM consulting is mainly ops and tech, so not as relevent as it looks (some say MBB looks down on tech/ops consulting). At the time I had to make a decision so I took the VC gig.

Anyone heard of VC internship-> MBB? Any insights would be great.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: VC internship for M/B/B? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 05:36
CaliCpa wrote:
Are the bad grades from B-school, or undergrad. I obviously am not in B-school yet and don't know too much about this. Do potential employers look at your undergrad grades as well as your GMAT score, just like a school might?

Some employers - esp in MC, IB - look at undergrad grades + GMAT. I think others just ask for GMAT.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: VC internship for M/B/B? [#permalink] New post 25 May 2009, 05:39
aceman626 wrote:
Thanks River, for the insights.

I actually talked to a few people in consulting, and they seems to say that VC is best simply becuase of the prestige (hard to get in), especially since its a big fund...is that not the case?

I hope I didn't make a mistake...initiallly i was debating my VC offer against a couple boutique ibanking offers, and was also invited to interview for IBM consulting...after speaking to some people in MBB, they seem to agree that the VC is best, since my IB offers were from tiny firms with like 20 ppl and questionable deal flow. Also, they said IBM consulting is mainly ops and tech, so not as relevent as it looks (some say MBB looks down on tech/ops consulting). At the time I had to make a decision so I took the VC gig.

Anyone heard of VC internship-> MBB? Any insights would be great.

first congrats on your internship! At this point, I wouldn't stress about whether or not it was the right decision. Instead, see if you can find out what "key" points MC firms look for on your resume from a summer internship and just generally from your WE - and if you're lacking those, see if you can get some targeted experience during your internship or build on which ones you already have. I wouldn't rely on just the prestige of your VC firm to get you an offer at M/B/B :)
Re: VC internship for M/B/B?   [#permalink] 25 May 2009, 05:39