Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Very confused - older candidate looking to go back to school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Very confused - older candidate looking to go back to school [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 13:39
Hi,
I am a older candidate and have an opportunity to make a change(potentially significant) in my career. My biggest reasons for going back to school are fairly typical
1) I want to have more avenues to pursue
2) To make a career shift
3) To also pursue some of the ideas that I have had in the past years as a lead and the opportunities that I have seen being missed by people at top

If I am confused as to whether I want to do a Phd or MBA - am I totally off? I know that I am comparing apples to oranges and so I feel like I am missing something big conceptually.
I think that a FT MBA will help me but am unsure and afraid of the time & money commitment that it is going to take. I am not very convinced by the part time MBA option since I think that it will make my already crazy life even more crazier - in the sense I would have to focus on work, school, family.
On the other hand, Phd will enable me to get out of schools without debt and I can pursue some of my ideas to see if they are worth it . However I don't have any research experience and my GPA is low.
I would appreciate some insights into my situation. I am working on my GMAT currently and looking to start something in 2014 - Jan or Sept.
Thank you for any help you can provide,

Background
I am an Indian female, 33 years old. I am married and have 2 little kids.
Education
a. I did my undergrad, Bachelor of Commerce (3 yrs) – 69%, Grad, Master of Commerce(2 yrs) – 65% both in India.
b. I also did a chartered accountancy (Equivalent to CPA) in India and am a member of the Institution of Chartered Accountants of India
c. I took my CPA exams here and cleared all of them but did not follow thru with an internship since I had started working by then.
Work experience
a. Currently, I work as a Team lead at a higher Ed institution in the sponsored programs department. I have 8 positions (2 indirects) reporting to me currently & abt 7 positions in the past 4 years. My work is analytical, xl based with minimal accounting thrown in.
b. I have been working with a ERP software for the past 7 years and was part of the ERP rollout team in the same institution
c. I have also picked up minimal technical skills – basic sql querying, spec writing, testing/configuring etc
d. Right after my CA, I worked in a fortune 500 company in India for about 4-41/2 years
e. I also have internship experience(while doing my CA) for 3 years
Extra curricular activities
a. Nothing national/international – but I have fairly varied extra curriculars – such as gardening, cooking, volunteering at hospitals & volunteering via a service organization in India.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Very confused - older candidate looking to go back to school [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 02:39
Expert's post
Hey there,
So let's start off with the difference between a PhD and MBA and what the requirements expectation are. A PhD is an academic degree. After you graduate with a PhD you are not expected to join the corporate life (although many do consult), but your main activities will be research, writing and teaching. The expectation is also that you have some of this when you ENTER the program - so you should have some research, publications and/or teaching experience behind you, otherwise your chances of getting accepted to a good PhD program would be slim.\

An MBA is a professional degree, and from what you have show here seems more in line with your experience (Although I could be wrong). I understand the appeal of the PhD, but the two questions you need to ask yourself is 1. Will this bring you where you will go? 2. How can I present them the right profile? If the answer to the first is yes, then we can work on the second.

As for the MBA, it depends on where you go,w hat your test scores are etc.... but you want to make sure that it's WORTH it for you to do it, (in terms of ROI factoring opportunity costs and the like)...

Hope these thoughts get you kicked off...
If you have anything else, don't hesitate

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Very confused - older candidate looking to go back to school [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 06:34
Thank you Jon! This is helpful and I have been doing some looking around on my own too - in Docnet, in the Phd in business forum of the GMAT club. I will probably come back to you with more questions but I think I will chew on this for a while. Thanks again!
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Very confused - older candidate looking to go back to school [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 03:02
Expert's post
Chew away!
And let us know your thoughts... I'm here to help

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!