Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Visiting Chicago and Kellogg next week - advice [#permalink]
In general, my advice would be NOT to speak up in a class unless specifically called upon by the professor. 99.99% of the time, they won't call on you. Its kind of akward when someone tries to jump into a conversation in the sixth lecture of class... without having read the case.... or the notes... usually the comment ends up being kind of dumb.

If you can get to class a few minutes early, introduce yourself to the prof (so he knows who you are, you'd be surprised how many profs can name everyone in a room of 50), and then chat up a student to find out whats on the menu for that day. Pro tip: Classes break halfway through - if you are slick, you might be able to go to two half-courses. Timing it can be tricky, but it can be done.
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Good point about classes. I wonder if it's still the best time to visit? We planned a vacation to Chicagao for the Taste of Chicago festival during July 4th and planned to stay until Monday to visit Kellogg (and possibly GSB). I would love to sit in on classes but don't think I'll get to make it back until after my application is complete for interviews.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
Good point about classes. I wonder if it's still the best time to visit? We planned a vacation to Chicagao for the Taste of Chicago festival during July 4th and planned to stay until Monday to visit Kellogg (and possibly GSB). I would love to sit in on classes but don't think I'll get to make it back until after my application is complete for interviews.

There wont be any classes on either campus - nor will you find any students there. Everyone is off to their internships. The only option might be to attend something from the part time evening program. Full time classes start in late September next year.

For what its worth, I think youll get a lot more out of your visit by coming and actually talking to students, attending courses, etc. Going to an empty building with a bunch of locked rooms isn't going to be all that helpful.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
cpg,

The finance strength had no influence on my opinion. In fact, I am probably much better suited for an environment like that of Kellogg's, but I may like the challenge of a quant heavy curriculum.

As far as visiting, both websites have detailed info about events and classes. For GSB you can sign up for the individual daily activities on the website. There is not a page to do this for Kellogg, but you can see what is going on each day and then just show up. Even if you aren't able to sit in on classes, I would definitely go just to check things out and get a feel for the place.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I didnt sit in on classes at Kellogg, we went through set up classes during DAK though and the professors we had were great. The ones I had werent cherry picked courses that were the most popular according to some students...they were professors who were free and willing to do it. One was a finance class which was surprising.

Personally I didnt find classes all that helpful. The one I went to at GSB with Rhyme I would honestly say was pretty bad, students actually said it was a bad representation. Tucks was odd and not that good. MITs was the only one that I really was wowed by but everyone said it was probably the most popular course people took and the professor was extremely popular and always filled up. I think interacting with students was more valuable, try to set up meetings with people at the school. Heck just sitting in the main gathering areas and people watching can give you a better sense of the school. At every school you will get great professors and interesting classes...however, not every single class in all courses taught by all professors will be great.

Usually schools put you in classes they have room and those usually arent full for a reason. At MIT I had to carry a chair into the room to have a place to sit at all the others there were plenty of empty chairs and it was clear that the MIT class was extremely popular for a reason. If you visit in the end of Sept or early Oct you will be sitting in on the first class or two of a course and the students may be just as lost as you and thats not really an accurate reflection since they have just started and are not back into school mode typically.

Try to get ahold of students ahead of time for visits. There are several students on here who are are finishing up their 1st year who might be willing to help show you around if you PM them. Next fall if you are visiting, there are gmatclubbers at every single school, and this place is all about paying it forward. We got a lot of help from people so there will more than likely be someone at the schools you are interested in willing to help. Obviously, Kellogg, Chicago, Duke and Ross are heavily represented so your chances will be better than at Stanford where its just Terry (the curse breaker). I mean with 12+ people from on here at some schools you will be able to find someone willing to show you around. Heck, it might make sense to have an official gmat club visit day at some of these popular schools.

I think my interactions with students at most schools was extremely positive, they were all in your shoes at one point and know what its like. HOWEVER, you need to remember that there are 5k+ applicants at some schools and the co-chairs of the consulting or IB clubs probably get contacted by applicants many times a day. It may make sense to reach out to other folks. If you are a minority go to the group for that ethnicity. If you are from another country and there is a club for it contact them. If you are gay, talk to those groups. If you have an interest in the environment contact the social impact club. Dont be offended if the president of the consulting club doesnt respond since it probably is getting lost in the shuffle with the two dozen other wannabe consultants who email them each day. If you find someone with a background similar to yours or from the same random undergrad definitely reach out to that person since the will probably be your best bet.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
dghazer wrote:
I am probably much better suited for an environment like that of Kellogg's, but I may like the challenge of a quant heavy curriculum.

No matter where you apply or go, if you want to challenge yourself definitely talk to folks taking the turbo courses. I know that I got a different sense of schools not considered challenging when talking with folks who pushed themselves academically. Someone who takes base classes at any school even a quant heavy might breeze through them if they have a solid background. If you really want a challenge and are going to take the advance courses talk it over with people in them if at all possible, that will give you an idea of what you are in for at different schools if you go for the turbo courses.

I know I talked at students at some power house quant schools who were overwhelmed with the turbo courses but felt the base level were too easy...while at a school with a softer rep the turbo may not have been bordering on insanely impossible but would be far more rewarding any base level classes for someone wanting a challenge. I was shocked that some folks who had incredibly quant heavy backgrounds felt they made mistakes at some schools with the hard classes, it definitely made me glad I wasnt going to be taking those classes at any school and going into finance after hearing some horror stories.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
riverripper wrote:

No matter where you apply or go, if you want to challenge yourself definitely talk to folks taking the turbo courses. I know that I got a different sense of schools not considered challenging when talking with folks who pushed themselves academically. Someone who takes base classes at any school even a quant heavy might breeze through them if they have a solid background. If you really want a challenge and are going to take the advance courses talk it over with people in them if at all possible, that will give you an idea of what you are in for at different schools if you go for the turbo courses.

That is a good point River. How many students do you think take the turbo courses? I planned on definitely testing out of any basic econ and acc courses and trying to take a replacement that would be more interesting if not just more challenging.
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Great advice! While we still may take the trip next month, I'll definitley go back in the fall as well. I love the idea of reaching out to students in clubs with similar backgrounds. I was initially thinking about emailing the head of the clubs but like you said, they probably get many, many emails a day from prospectives like me. Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
Great advice! While we still may take the trip next month, I'll definitley go back in the fall as well. I love the idea of reaching out to students in clubs with similar backgrounds. I was initially thinking about emailing the head of the clubs but like you said, they probably get many, many emails a day from prospectives like me. Thanks!

We get some, but not that many. Go ahead and try.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Hi all!

Been traveling East and SE Asia for the past 5 weeks and just found time to check in - wanted to address the age factor at Kellogg (given this was definitely something I looked at going in and deciding schools - as an '05 grad with 3yrs WE).

I definitely think the proportion of 3 year WE Kellogg students is higher than 2%. The official stats for 3-4 years out is I believe somewhere in the range of 30% (check that number but I believe its right around there). Given my impressions at DAK, I'd venture to guess '04 grads outnumbered '05 grads 2 to one. Putting the '05s at roughly 10% of the whole class. Add a fudge factor down to be conservative and let's say ~8% (remember - '05 grads for class of 2011 will be a much higher proportion). Still not bad - perhaps slightly more competitive than the peer group at other top 5/10 schools - but Kellogg is UE, you are competing in that environment anyway.

Not much more to add - other than people and professors trump everything in my mind when comparing schools. Try to see both in action and meet as many as possible.
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
I was digging around and noticed that Kellogg IS having tours, info sessions and class visits in July. The class is Managerial Decision Analysis. I'll be visiting the Monday July 7th. Hopefully I'll get to interact with a few students and get a feel for the school, even though it's summer.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
I was digging around and noticed that Kellogg IS having tours, info sessions and class visits in July. The class is Managerial Decision Analysis. I'll be visiting the Monday July 7th. Hopefully I'll get to interact with a few students and get a feel for the school, even though it's summer.

Drop me a line closer to that date, lets have lunch or dinner or something.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2