Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Volunteering

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Volunteering [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2006, 00:18
Paul,

After thinking about your evaluation of my profile, I decided to volunteer and involve with community activities.

I know it does not sound overly ethical but I guess it is better than doing nothing and then making up stories in the application.So,which one do you think would be more effective or differentiating ,

-Being a big brother(mentor) for a kid, basically you are responsible for every aspect of the life of the child and you act as a role model. It is a very reputable organization in Australia.

-Volunteering for environmental organizations.

- Charity, fund raising

I believe the first one would suit me the best( you can see my profile below again) . I come from a not very rich family and always worked hard in my life and earned everything I got, I think I really would get satisfaction from this activity too. But I need to hear what you think.

Also, do you think focusing on one organization/acitivity is better? Or can I get involved with 2 activity?

Thanks a lot.

Honor

=========================================

26.5 years old Male, Turkish

B.A in Business Administration from a top(best) university in Turkey, GPA. 3.55,studied at McGill Uni. for one term as an exchange student,SPA 3.9

Master of Marketing from a top Australian university,GPA:3.75. (with full scholarship) . I am currently doing my master while working full time. I will finish it this July.

Worked in Middle East for the biggest distributor of a major(soon to be the biggest) car company as a product manager for 1.5 years. (This company owns distributorship rights of the car brand in many countries in Middle East and Africa,has very close ties with the parent corporation in Japan and is one the biggest companies in ME) As a product manager,I handled product portfolios with millions of dollars of turnover and was considered very successful at it.

Thanks to my high performance, I was selected by the senior management of the Middle Eastern company as an ICT(inter company transfer) to go to Australia and work for the parent company(Australian subsidiary is wholly owned by the Japanese company) for couple of years. I was the first non-arab to be selected for this program. Normally,the program is only for arab nationals.

Since Feb 05, I have been working and studying in Sydney,Australia.
Currently, I am the Integrated Planning(Strategic/ Sales/Order Planning) Manager for Passenger Vehicles at the .. Motor Corporation Australia. I manage a team of two analysts(who are both 3-4 years older than I am) and interact with senior management, production planning people at the factory and planning team at the world headquarters of the company in Japan all the time.

As I said,I was also awarded full scholarship from a top Australian university and am still studying there full time( taking 4 subjects and working full time at the same time,still making sure my GPA is above 3.5).

GMAT

I took Gmat once: 700 , Q: 49 V:36 . I am currently preparing to retake it. Although it is not necessary, I feel I can do more.

Extracurricular
I worked for the management and economics club during undergrad,organizing conferences,collecting funds etc. I am currently planning to give math classes at the uni. for undergrad struggling with math and stats. I play squash and will start fencing classes very soon.

Miscellanous

Fluent in english and french. Rudimentary knowledge of German and Arabic.

During undergrad,I worked full time(8 hours) for 3 years in the Credit Card Operation Center of a major bank in Turkey(night shift),during the last 2 years of that period,I was managing a team of three.

I got admitted to MBA at Ohio State Uni and Illinois Urbana(with $10K scholarship) right after undergrad but decided not to go.

I am married and my wife is here with me.

Target Schools: MIT,Columbia,Harvard,INSEAD,IMD,LBS,HEC
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Volunteering [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2006, 18:16
Expert's post
INSEAD1979 wrote:
Paul,

After thinking about your evaluation of my profile, I decided to volunteer and involve with community activities.

I know it does not sound overly ethical but I guess it is better than doing nothing and then making up stories in the application.So,which one do you think would be more effective or differentiating ,

-Being a big brother(mentor) for a kid, basically you are responsible for every aspect of the life of the child and you act as a role model. It is a very reputable organization in Australia.

-Volunteering for environmental organizations.

- Charity, fund raising

I believe the first one would suit me the best( you can see my profile below again) . I come from a not very rich family and always worked hard in my life and earned everything I got, I think I really would get satisfaction from this activity too. But I need to hear what you think.

Also, do you think focusing on one organization/acitivity is better? Or can I get involved with 2 activity?

Thanks a lot.

Honor

=========================================

26.5 years old Male, Turkish

B.A in Business Administration from a top(best) university in Turkey, GPA. 3.55,studied at McGill Uni. for one term as an exchange student,SPA 3.9

Master of Marketing from a top Australian university,GPA:3.75. (with full scholarship) . I am currently doing my master while working full time. I will finish it this July.

Worked in Middle East for the biggest distributor of a major(soon to be the biggest) car company as a product manager for 1.5 years. (This company owns distributorship rights of the car brand in many countries in Middle East and Africa,has very close ties with the parent corporation in Japan and is one the biggest companies in ME) As a product manager,I handled product portfolios with millions of dollars of turnover and was considered very successful at it.

Thanks to my high performance, I was selected by the senior management of the Middle Eastern company as an ICT(inter company transfer) to go to Australia and work for the parent company(Australian subsidiary is wholly owned by the Japanese company) for couple of years. I was the first non-arab to be selected for this program. Normally,the program is only for arab nationals.

Since Feb 05, I have been working and studying in Sydney,Australia.
Currently, I am the Integrated Planning(Strategic/ Sales/Order Planning) Manager for Passenger Vehicles at the .. Motor Corporation Australia. I manage a team of two analysts(who are both 3-4 years older than I am) and interact with senior management, production planning people at the factory and planning team at the world headquarters of the company in Japan all the time.

As I said,I was also awarded full scholarship from a top Australian university and am still studying there full time( taking 4 subjects and working full time at the same time,still making sure my GPA is above 3.5).

GMAT

I took Gmat once: 700 , Q: 49 V:36 . I am currently preparing to retake it. Although it is not necessary, I feel I can do more.

Extracurricular
I worked for the management and economics club during undergrad,organizing conferences,collecting funds etc. I am currently planning to give math classes at the uni. for undergrad struggling with math and stats. I play squash and will start fencing classes very soon.

Miscellanous

Fluent in english and french. Rudimentary knowledge of German and Arabic.

During undergrad,I worked full time(8 hours) for 3 years in the Credit Card Operation Center of a major bank in Turkey(night shift),during the last 2 years of that period,I was managing a team of three.

I got admitted to MBA at Ohio State Uni and Illinois Urbana(with $10K scholarship) right after undergrad but decided not to go.

I am married and my wife is here with me.

Target Schools: MIT,Columbia,Harvard,INSEAD,IMD,LBS,HEC

INSEAD1979,

The big brother activity sounds best, especially since it seems to be the one that interests you most. Charity/fund-raising is not as proactive a form of community involvement. Volunteering for an environmental organization would be fine, but doing so in a leadership role would be the best approach. I think it's smarter to focus your time and energies on one activity than on two, because schools want to see not merely involvement in community activities but significant roles, ideally leadership of others. Obviously, you want to give them a meaty, personal story about how your mentoring work concretely helped your little brother--i.e., results.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thanks [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2006, 05:23
As always,very useful comments,thank you very much. I will do my best to become a Big Brother and will do so from my heart not just for applications
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thanks [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2006, 04:03
Expert's post
INSEAD1979 wrote:
As always,very useful comments,thank you very much. I will do my best to become a Big Brother and will do so from my heart not just for applications

You're very welcome.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog