Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:02 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Wharton vs Booth(with $50k)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.58
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Wharton vs Booth(with $$) for Retail [#permalink]
kingfalcon wrote:
Assuming both schools offer equally good career outcomes (definitely stress test this by speaking with current students and examining the employment statistics), then I would go with Booth. It is also a fantastic school and a $50K scholarship is the equivalent of ~$75-80K pre-tax money, which gives you more financial flexibility after graduation.

That said, for what it's worth, I would have assumed that Wharton would have better placement into luxury given its proximity to NYC and the importance of networking in the recruiting process. If you find that to be true, then you just need to ask yourself how badly you want to do luxury (I'm sure retail will be doable from both schools).

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with you on Wharton being closer to NYC and that it might be better for luxury. The only thing that's holding me from packing my bags and flying to Philly is the money. What do you think is the best way to ask Wharton for some aid?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
merper wrote:
Also, how much do you want to work internationally. Booth has been rising in ranks, but it still doesn't have the decades old reputation that Wharton enjoys overseas.

Thanks for your input! I definitely want to come back to India after a while and Wharton is a much stronger name here. Most of the people I talked to didn't even know Booth (They aren't in a space where MBAs work, but they are educated reasonably-aware people). I am sure that at companies where MBAs typically work, Booth would not be a disadvantage at all. Booth's a great school and I loved my visit there. But the pull of an Ivy MBA (Wharton) is high.

Any ideas on if Wharton would be open to providing some financial aid? Do they do need-based or merit-based?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.58
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
They do award merit based aid, but usually not as high as Booth. You can try and tell them that you really want to come and just need a nudge. They may not match since they hold themselves higher than Booth, but they might toss you $20-$30k if you are lucky.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
merper wrote:
They do award merit based aid, but usually not as high as Booth. You can try and tell them that you really want to come and just need a nudge. They may not match since they hold themselves higher than Booth, but they might toss you $20-$30k if you are lucky.

Okay, thanks! Any idea how to go about it? Phone? E-mail?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
To update my decision(as I hate threads with no final decisions!) - matriculating at Wharton!! (yayy)

I asked them to match Booth's scholarship and they refused.. but the heart wants what it wants :)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts