Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What are you most passionate about

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 19:26
I've been thinking about it...

What motivates you

and What is your passion are two different questions. On hindsight, I don't think it's possible to take What is your passion as what motivates you.

What is your passion - if you had limited resources, what would you do? Would you spend time with your family? Would you bake cakes? Would you travel the world?

What motivates you - what drives you to do what you do?

As for me, I'm going to write about playing pool.... :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 19:31
what if your passion is "competition" in general? or "seeing diversity/different things"? Then it's the same as motivation.

but you're right, there's a fine line, and in some cases they are different, like if you only talk about a hobby, then it's a passion question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 19:39
definitely food for thought...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 19:43
actually, "what matters most to you" can also be different...

for example, you can answer "what matters most" with "being with family", but that doesn't answer "what is your passion" or "what motivates you" that well...

so I guess it's a very tricky question to answer... make sure your answer can fit the question, and that the answer comes from somewhere deep within you =)
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 670 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 19:49
Nice thread.

The reality is that student loans force many students to choose high paying jobs, obviously to pay off debt early. Interests can evolve over time, but I hope you have the courage to not be tempted by short term monetary gains.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 20:03
I hope I don't get tempted... while money and a good life is something I wish to have, in the end, after the past couple years, I learned that if I'm NOT happy to go to work everyday, it's just not worth it (for me).

Maybe my answer to "What matters most to you" is "being happy"... then the follow on question is... "what makes you happy?" ;)

Last edited by kryzak on 21 Aug 2007, 20:08, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 20:06
Actually, to every human being, "being happy" is what matters the most. Think about it .. everything that one does (Even self-less acts) is to feel happy in the end. What all of us try to define is, what acts / achievements make us the happiest.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 20:09
actually, now that I brainstormed a bit, this might be THE "What Matters Most" Stanford essay for me. Every single career choice, hobby choice, and other thing has been because it made me happy. I'll just have to really discuss the details of "why" it makes me happy, and I think I have an essay... it allows me to include all the other things like "leave an impact", "look for a challenge", "competition", etc... What do you all think?

mNeo: yes, but I wonder if having an essay that talks about the details of what makes you happy will work... just throwing ideas out there... I mean, a lot of people work for the money, even though they're not happy... so you can't really say it's 'what matters most' to everyone... Look at all the big Hollywood stars, the super rich Ibankers... are they truly happy?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 20:53
kryzak wrote:
actually, now that I brainstormed a bit, this might be THE "What Matters Most" Stanford essay for me. Every single career choice, hobby choice, and other thing has been because it made me happy. I'll just have to really discuss the details of "why" it makes me happy, and I think I have an essay... it allows me to include all the other things like "leave an impact", "look for a challenge", "competition", etc... What do you all think?

mNeo: yes, but I wonder if having an essay that talks about the details of what makes you happy will work... just throwing ideas out there... I mean, a lot of people work for the money, even though they're not happy... so you can't really say it's 'what matters most' to everyone... Look at all the big Hollywood stars, the super rich Ibankers... are they truly happy?

Happiness is subjective - I actually have a story for you guys - .

Every weekend, out in Malibu I meet this guy with whom I surf sometimes. I didnt know his background, but just found out that he is one of the executives for Warner Brothers - the guy is wealthy (rich is a poor adjective)... and his passion is surfing....

He is truly happy, coz he doesnt care about money, fame, or glamor. I guess you have to set aside time for what you are passionate about...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 22:31
wow, that's the type of life I want to lead...

maybe "pursuit of true happiness?" While it sounds kinda cheesy (especially if I throw in our Constitution), if you really think about it, a lot of people get lost in the "must make enough money to survive/buy a yacht/whatever" mentality, living day-by-day just having a job because they need the money. Are they happy? Probably not. Are they pursuing happiness? Not really, or they think they are.

How many people out there does the kind of introspection that we are doing here just to apply to b-school? I would say even more than 50% of the applicants probably don't think about whether they're happy doing what they do, they just know that getting an MBA is the "right" (note sarcasm) thing to do, and it will make them "happy" if they get it.

I'll have to think about this a bit more, but if I can get this idea cohesive enough, it may make my Stanford essay...

Thanks for the great discussion everyone! I love brainstorming like this. :-D
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2007, 23:05
I think you caa reframe the statement as What makes you passionate - as what do you do that makes you happy.
  [#permalink] 21 Aug 2007, 23:05