Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

WHat do post MBA people do without jobs?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

WHat do post MBA people do without jobs? [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2007, 19:37
A lot of schools have 80-90 percent job rate? Is the last 10-20 percent people that move on for their phd or people that had jobs waiting? Or do I have a chance to be begging for money on the street?
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 00:35
They are stressing about the loans.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 01:56
I know someone, a friend of the family, who graduated from HBS about 5 years ago. The job market sucked and she didn't find what she wanted right away, so she literally waited a year before taking a job. She's now a VP with a BBB in Hong Kong.

These days, the job market is great for MBAs, but you need to have a strong stomach to wait out the recruiting season to see if any HF/VC/PE firms are hiring. Of course, if you do land one of those jobs, it's probably worth the stress.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 10:48
What happens to the people holding out for VC/PE/HF that don't get a job? Isn't that a black mark on them if several months after graduation they still don't have jobs, even if they did graduate from an elite business school?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 11:02
I think the though is that the job market for MBAs is really good right now. The top performers who have legitimate shots at the elite jobs probably feel that if they are unsuccessful in their search they can get a "standard" post-MBA job with little effort.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 15:03
If you hold out for a PE/VC/HF job and don't get it, what can you do? I would assume that people hold out for those jobs wouldn't want to do consulting. Wouldn't it be too late to get an iBanking job?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2007, 16:11
I would guess that most people who are viable candidates for hedge funds or private equity, are probably people who went to ultra-elites. As such, they probably have lots of friends who own their own companies. So my guess is that one solution, is a person who waits a while for a PE or HF job and doesn't get it, could then apply to work in banking and on their resume they could say they worked at X Company that their friend owns. I know a couple people at ultra-elite schools right now that used friends' companies to explain gaps in employment.

So the short answer, some people probably just lie and say they were employed somewhere they weren't.
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 00:21
flapjack wrote:
What happens to the people holding out for VC/PE/HF that don't get a job? Isn't that a black mark on them if several months after graduation they still don't have jobs, even if they did graduate from an elite business school?

I really can't imagine this happening. Its just such bizarre behaviour - like holding out to marry into the royal family or whatever. I would expect the careers service would slap them hard and point out to them it isn't going to happen unless they work and head somewhere else.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2007, 08:01
Assuming I get in off of the WL to Chicago or Kellogg, I want to end up in VC/PE. I was thinking it might make sense to do ibanking for a couple years and then try to get into VC/PE instead of holding out VC/PE and running the apparently high risk of not getting a job by graduation.
  [#permalink] 26 Apr 2007, 08:01