Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What if someone (like me) has a usual GMAT and 2.5 years WE?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What if someone (like me) has a usual GMAT and 2.5 years WE? [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2011, 22:51
Hi,

I have a GMAT score of 660 (Q49, V31) and TOEFL 117. I am a mechanical engineer from a good college and have a GPA of 3.4.
I have been working in an automobile major since 2.5 years and have worked in Channel Sales, Sales planning and currently in Business development along with a cross functional project in Supply chain on warehouse network re engineering.

In college, I started an entrepreneurship club and also did some projects funded by Govt. of India under technology entrepreneurship prog.

I am applying in Boston Univ. Other colleges shortlisted by me are -
Vanderbilt
Thunderbird
Lancaster
NUS (as it is free to apply :P) :!:
Nanyang
and Great Lakes (India)

However, am thoroughly confused about my college selection as all of these seem to be a distant dream after reading various posts on internet.
Please suggest me some good colleges that you think are fit for my profile and are also worth applying to. I am not a filthy rich guy and I read that Europe is a risque place to invest as of today. Any good colleges in Asia and US to which I should apply..? It would be of great help if you could tell me how and where shall I proceed...Is Boston in my league? Am confused and a bit tensed.

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 64

Re: What if someone (like me) has a usual GMAT and 2.5 years WE? [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2011, 22:58
Expert's post
ExoticBoson wrote:
Hi,

I have a GMAT score of 660 (Q49, V31) and TOEFL 117. I am a mechanical engineer from a good college and have a GPA of 3.4.
I have been working in an automobile major since 2.5 years and have worked in Channel Sales, Sales planning and currently in Business development along with a cross functional project in Supply chain on warehouse network re engineering.

In college, I started an entrepreneurship club and also did some projects funded by Govt. of India under technology entrepreneurship prog.

I am applying in Boston Univ. Other colleges shortlisted by me are -
Vanderbilt
Thunderbird
Lancaster
NUS (as it is free to apply :P) :!:
Nanyang
and Great Lakes (India)

However, am thoroughly confused about my college selection as all of these seem to be a distant dream after reading various posts on internet.
Please suggest me some good colleges that you think are fit for my profile and are also worth applying to. I am not a filthy rich guy and I read that Europe is a risque place to invest as of today. Any good colleges in Asia and US to which I should apply..? It would be of great help if you could tell me how and where shall I proceed...Is Boston in my league? Am confused and a bit tensed.

Thanks.

Your grades and GMAT are competitive at your target programs. Your work experience is a little low for most of these programs, but with good essays, recs, and interviews, you have reason for optimism.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: What if someone (like me) has a usual GMAT and 2.5 years WE? [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2012, 06:33
Thanks a lot for the reply. I have applied to Boston Univ. :)

I wanted to know about whether I should apply in Michigan State Univ? :?: I mean its somewhere around 80s in ranking. So is it worth investing 50-60 L in? And same question about SMU Cox. However, I am not sure if cox is in my reach though it ranks somewhr around 60s.... as a rough estimate, what is the range of ranks I should be looking at..?

Also, my quandary is, whether at a 660 score I can get any scholarship/aid? :? because If I don't, there isn't much of a point applying at the first place.. after dollar touching 53, it's gonna be around 60L as per the college sites which is over my budget of 50. I want to select colleges which may give me aid at this score. Donno why I scored just 660 at GMAT. :/ :oops:

I would be grateful if you could make my life a lil simpler by answering :P
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 348 [0], given: 64

Re: What if someone (like me) has a usual GMAT and 2.5 years WE? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2012, 20:44
Expert's post
in general, if your stats are above the school's averages, you have a better chance at getting a scholarship. If your stats are close to or below a school's averages your chances of a scholarship decline. (This is a generalization, not a hard and fast rule, but it does provide guidance.)

So don't think exclusively in terms of ranking. Look for programs ranked highly in your area of interest, but with average GPA and GMAT somewhat below your stats (if you want to improve your chance of getting a scholarship.)

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog