Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Re: What if youve never failed? [#permalink]
This might sound crazy, but maybe you should go try something now and fail at it. Have you ever qualified for a national athletic competition? Pick a sport and start training.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Cheetarah. I was actually just reading your blog earlier, you write very well, so I am sure your essays were a strength in your apps. Congrats on all the success.

There is more then one "this question doesnt apply to my life question" out there for me, but I guess thats why I am looking into it now to do some self assessing. I will start looking into more personal broken promises and failed expectations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
If you've never failed, then why are you going to business school?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
sounds crazy..never failed? Einstein says if you have never failed, you've never tried new things.. go try something new.. you'll definitely fail :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
manmaker wrote:
sounds crazy..never failed? Einstein says if you have never failed, you've never tried new things.. go try something new.. you'll definitely fail :)

Yeah, it would be crazy to say Ive never failed. I try tons of new things that I fail at, just none of them make for very interesting b-school essays.

I guess I just dont take enough risks to go to a top B-school...
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Dbalks and Cheetarah1980 for liking my response.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Poonamtandon, that is good food for thought and a good point to get into for self reflection. How did I end up as such a small part of such a big company?

You know, sometimes you feel like you are doing all the right things by working hard and networking, but somewhere you must be doing something wrong to still be the small cog. It really is a harsh reality, but a reality. I guess I was looking for a project or something at work, but I work at an insurance company and everything here is so risk averse that we take months to think about things with little action. So maybe I am looking for something project oriented, when I should be looking at how i got where I am..

Do you think I can use the failure essay to make a case for career change? Like saying that I wanted to work in I-banking and ended up settling in financial services? And that my proactive apporach to solving my failure was becoming a CFA charterholder, networking, and getting and MBA as part of the plan? Do you think the failure has to be completely resolved and made up for. I read in some admissions books that you should be able to state how you fixed the issues, and how you won't repeat the mistakes. If such a mistake is too easy to make up an I still havent done it, do I not qualify to go to a top B-school?

I realize I am overthinking, but just want to bounce ideas off of anyone who will listen and see my options when I inevitably face this question.
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Send PM
I agree, you are over thinking about your failure.

Q.1 Do you think I can use the failure essay to make a case for career change? Like saying that I wanted to work in I-banking and ended up settling in financial services? And that my proactive apporach to solving my failure was becoming a CFA charterholder, networking, and getting and MBA as part of the plan?

Ans. You can do that but it all depends how convincingly you present your case.

Q.2.Do you think the failure has to be completely resolved and made up for. I read in some admissions books that you should be able to state how you fixed the issues, and how you won't repeat the mistakes. If such a mistake is too easy to make up an I still havent done it, do I not qualify to go to a top B-school?

Ans. What matters the most is your take away from the setback / failure? Don't we learn from our experiences at every stage of our life ? Learning from our experiences is what makes us mature. And this maturity and resilience is what the Ad Com are looking for in their prospective candidates through such questions.
I hope it helped.
Thanks,
Poonam
GMAT Club Bot