Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 19:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What is the value of x^3 - 2x^2 + 7? (1) 3x^3- x = 2 (2)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

What is the value of x^3 - 2x^2 + 7? (1) 3x^3- x = 2 (2) [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2005, 17:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
What is the value of x^3 - 2x^2 + 7?
(1) 3x^3- x = 2
(2) x^5= 1
VP
VP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2005, 21:47
i also gueess D.
statement i, only 1 satisfies this one.
statement ii is straight.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2005, 01:37
banerjeea_98 wrote:
I think "D", for both cases x = 1

Banerjeea, I would appreciate if you could explain your solution.

Second is certainly a pretty straightforward case. However, in case 1, how can you get (only) x=1 from a third degree equation? I think you should have 3 roots for an equation of the third order (unless you've repeated roots, like in the second case). Because if there're other roots too, then we cannot say for sure the value of the expression, because of multiple values of x giving multiple values of the expression.

Furthermore, in arriving at x=1 as a solution, did you simply start with substitution? How did you solve the equation of the third degree?

Who says elephants can't dance?

VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2005, 09:25
kapslock wrote:
banerjeea_98 wrote:

Second is certainly a pretty straightforward case. However, in case 1, how can you get (only) x=1 from a third degree equation? I think you should have 3 roots for an equation of the third order (unless you've repeated roots, like in the second case). Because if there're other roots too, then we cannot say for sure the value of the expression, because of multiple values of x giving multiple values of the expression.

Furthermore, in arriving at x=1 as a solution, did you simply start with substitution? How did you solve the equation of the third degree?

I used substitution for the first one, I didn't solve the third degree eqn. Wud love to know if anyone knows how to solve the 1st eqn using algebra.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2005, 09:00
banerjeea_98 wrote:
kapslock wrote:
banerjeea_98 wrote:

I used substitution for the first one, I didn't solve the third degree eqn. Wud love to know if anyone knows how to solve the 1st eqn using algebra.

Hmm, but isn't it a bit risky, because you don't know if there're two more roots of the equation, and since you do not know which one to use, that doesn't allow you to get to a unique solution for the expression in question?

Who says elephants can't dance?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2005, 13:11
D
for equation 1 i think this can work x(3x^2-1)=2
take 3x^2-1=2 gives us a possibility of only +/-1 but since x(3x^2-1)=+2
therefore ans should be 1
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2005, 15:07
I also answered this question as D, but OA is B. I strongly believe the OA is wrong.
  [#permalink] 21 Mar 2005, 15:07