Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Other, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: What is worth writing down while solving quant problems? [#permalink]
bb wrote:
I used to write down what could cause me to stumble. For example - if it had inches and answer was feet or something else that could "trick" me into answering the question with the wrong answer.

But then "blindly" would end up write down all numbers as it gave me a bit of a break in reading the question (but your experience may vary if you get thrown off track by taking a pause after every number).

I think you need to figure out what strategy of answering quant questions you want to pursue.
1. Read the question quickly, re-read again and write down
2. Read slowly and write down and re-read quickly/glance for traps
3. Optional - pause and do a check at the end to make sure you solved it right/did not miss anything
4. Optional - pause before jumping into reading the question (I used this one as it helped clear my mind from the fog of the last question)

That's very good advice. I like strategy 2 along with option 4. Will start putting those ideas to use. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
eshan429 wrote:
SK83 wrote:
Hello there!

When I see a challenging geometry DS or PS question, should I draw/re-create the diagram in the question on my notepad? Or is that too time consuming?

What about other types of challenging problems in the quant section...what are the smart strategies out there for the quant section with regard to what to write down before/during the problem solving stage?

Serge

I would say always draw the diagram and write down anything you can infer from the question. You might take a few extra seconds but you'll be much less likely to miss something or fall into a trap.

Great, didn't know others were doing. Good to know! Thank you.
GMAT Club Bot