Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:37 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

What field do you hope to go into post MBA

You may select 1 option
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Re: What is your post MBA Career [#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
I looked but couldn't find anything that really collected a picture of what everyone is planning on doing after they get that MBA. It comes up here and there but it would be interesting to see how we really stack up in terms of dream post MBA career.

So make your vote and give us a short post of your idea post grad career. I made a list with the most popular, if yours isn't there pick the best fit.

I am aiming to go into general management in sustainable energy, specifically nuclear power. I am looking more at the strategic side of management than the operations side since that is where my interests lie; also I feel it will provide me with more opportunities for my career and for impact on the field.

You need to cast your vote :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Riverripper, good luck with that. I spent 5 years at a consulting firm doing lots of policy analysis for the energy industry and electric utilities. We did a lot of leading-edge stuff, but I never really developed a passion for the industry.....part of the reason I just switched jobs and am now pursuing an MBA.

What I am passionate about is health/nutrition and fitness. I am interested in general management in the healthy/organic product/supplement area. I am not sure exactly what kind of role I want, whether it be marketing, brand management, or what, I just know what kind of companies I'd like to work for, eventually I may like to own my own health food/supplement store. However, I've also always been interested in investments so maybe I'll end up going the IB direction, who knows. For the purpose of my applications, I'm focusing on the first one, as I think it's the more likely choice for me and also a bit unique.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
General management - high tech, although I am being defeated by a 404 error when I try to vote right now :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
votes not working for me either
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm the smileys aren't working either. :-D :) :( :oops:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
jjanders wrote:
Riverripper, good luck with that. I spent 5 years at a consulting firm doing lots of policy analysis for the energy industry and electric utilities. We did a lot of leading-edge stuff, but I never really developed a passion for the industry.....part of the reason I just switched jobs and am now pursuing an MBA.

What I am passionate about is health/nutrition and fitness. I am interested in general management in the healthy/organic product/supplement area. I am not sure exactly what kind of role I want, whether it be marketing, brand management, or what, I just know what kind of companies I'd like to work for, eventually I may like to own my own health food/supplement store. However, I've also always been interested in investments so maybe I'll end up going the IB direction, who knows. For the purpose of my applications, I'm focusing on the first one, as I think it's the more likely choice for me and also a bit unique.

I am looking at it from the whole global warming angle. Its doesn't produce carbon and power companies are planning to build new reactors again. I don't know if I will end up going into the utilities side or the reactor construction side with someone like GE. It helps that it has the potential to be a high growth industry so people with an MBA from a top schools and previous work experience will have tons of opportunities in the future. I think you never know what you will like until you do it, I find it interesting but once I work there it might suck...at least with an MBA my options are a lot greater than being an engineer where you tend to get pigeon holed.

Organic foods are the new thing especially with all the tainted food and stuff we keep getting from China. My wife and I only buy organic food and now have started to buy local too. It makes shopping harder but at least you know where your food is from and that its not laced with some rat poison.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
votes are working again.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
votes are working again.

not for me
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree that nuclear energy is the only realistic future energy source for us right now. The problems that it faces are much simpler than the ones that other forms face. Where to dispose off the nuclear waste? I think that we will soon have solutions to this (Throw them out of earth in Dr Evil's giant rockets). Where to place the reactors (Everybody seems to like nuclear energy as long as it's not in their backyard)? People will come around this. The nuclear reactors are very safe and will get safer. Moreover, a reactor can become a good boost to local economy through employment et al. Look at what a reactor did to Homer's Springfield.

EDIT: ozmba's comment, that my comment was replying to, is gone :?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
I agree that nuclear energy is the only realistic future energy source for us right now. The problems that it faces are much simpler than the ones that other forms face. Where to dispose off the nuclear waste? I think that we will soon have solutions to this (Throw them out of earth in Dr Evil's giant rockets). Where to place the reactors (Everybody seems to like nuclear energy as long as it's not in their backyard)? People will come around this. The nuclear reactors are very safe and will get safer. Moreover, a reactor can become a good boost to local economy through employment et al. Look at what a reactor did to Homer's Springfield.

Just reprocess the fuel, it returns 95% of the material back into a usable form. The small quantities left can be put into dry storage casks and stored. I think its more realistic to come up with a solution to the waste problem in the immediate future than to develop cold fusion. Or use breeder reactors that solves most of the issue for you. They are actually turning old nuclear warheads into fuel. There are plenty of possible solutions once people get past the fear.

No rich town wants a nuclear reactor but there are plenty of poor communities that would love the millions of dollars in taxes and the high paying jobs they bring in. Where my wife grew up is a perfect example, its whole economy used to rely on paper mills but those have all been shut down and now they have a couple prisons and thats about it. I am sure that town would love a nuclear power plant since it would pretty much save the town from crumbling into decay.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:

I deleted it by mistake...I totally agree with ripper and Neo....

I also suggest that ,instead of charity to africa or any poor nation, one should help them to build/run Nuclear Reactors for Power with strict safety controls in place..

Hoping that power can be used to provide clean drinking water and water for irrigation!

A Dream -- But if pulled off -- Can empower millions of people
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Votes not working for me -

Want to work in IB so I can earn some significant moolah and then open my own nightclub in Los Angeles and a cool restaurant in New York.

Admission an reservation priority to GMAT clubbers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
jjanders wrote:

Hmm I see a prospective resource for my long term dream - to setup a sports academy tending to the A-Z needs of sportspersons ! I am already begining to get a feel of the power of networking in B schools :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
hrm... votes not working for me either.

Global Entrepreneurship in tech industry or strategic planning (not consulting)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Management consulting focusing on developing markets
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]