Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 299 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General MBA
 Q49  V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Job Acquirement
Schools:Duke Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink]
Anyone else thinking of traveling abroad (outside of their home country)? I'd love to get into any of the schools I'm applying to and my plan is to spend 6-8 weeks in China studying Chinese before schools starts. I have a great situation at work (boss and CEO wrote LORs, all very supportive) but I'd like to improve my language skills before embarking on the MBA path - I've been studying the language on my own with a tutor, but nothing beats actually being in the country of whatever language you're trying to learn, I believe.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
InCaseYouAsked wrote:
Anyone else thinking of traveling abroad (outside of their home country)? I'd love to get into any of the schools I'm applying to and my plan is to spend 6-8 weeks in China studying Chinese before schools starts. I have a great situation at work (boss and CEO wrote LORs, all very supportive) but I'd like to improve my language skills before embarking on the MBA path - I've been studying the language on my own with a tutor, but nothing beats actually being in the country of whatever language you're trying to learn, I believe.

That would be a fantastic experience! I think you should absolutely go for it. But is the missus cool with it? :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ha! Yeah, no not really. I want to go for 8 weeks, she's whittling me down to 4-6, depending on when I leave work (all dependent upon me getting accepted somewhere!).

Summer plans were also thrown off with two weddings smack dab in the middle of July, though thankfully one is in the Dominican Republic, so I really can't complain.

Alright - must resume prayers to gods of MBA Admissions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Send PM
InCaseYouAsked wrote:

That sounds amazing ! Unfortunately, I need all the money I can get, so I'll be only taking a month off, and that will be filled with typing up loose ends at home, seeing people before I move, and actually coordinating the move down South.

But if you go through with it, kudos to you !! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
My situation:

Working 12 hours a day until the very last second so that I can save money and not place our investors into the hands of my coworkers (just kidding on that one!).

I wish I could travel or something but I'm trying to pinch pennies to save cash for my car payments and insurance and whatnot during school.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
That's great, excellent idea. Biggest mistake I made after undergrad was thinking I needed to start work the next day. Graduated on Friday, started work on Monday. Dumb dumb dumb. Have a great trip!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
I'm hoping to be admitted either to Oxford or Cambridge, which would postpone school start with a few weeks. Otherwise I will have to leave directly after the U2 concert on August 22nd, which leaves me roughly 1 week to reorientate before classes begin. Gotta have priorities. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Send PM
When are you guys going to quit? Beginning or end of the summer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Has anyone told their employer that they are leaving for school and then been laid off?

My company knows I applied to school, but I haven't yet told them I have an acceptance. I'm planning on doing it this week (maybe even today). I'd like to leave in 2 weeks (tomorrow would be even better!), unfortunately, I don't think it would be financially responsible of me to leave before the summer. I'm secretly hoping they will lay me off when I tell them (business is quite slow here), so I can collect unemployment and hang out for a few months. I think that's wishful thinking though. They may as well have me around if they are going to have to contribute to unemployment.

It's pretty hard to stay motivated at this point! The next three months are going to be quite long!

Anyone else in the same boat, or have a brilliant solution?!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Sustainable Enterprise & Operations
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q48  V32 GMAT 2: 710  Q49  V38
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Send PM
This is a question for everyone:

How much notice have you given your employers? I am planning on leaving the team in June and am contemplating telling my manager either in April or in May... Of course no one on my team knows that I have applied to B-School so the announcement will come as a bit of a shock to the team....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
I think everyone just has to feel out their own unique situation. Most big firms have a culture of giving 2 week notice, especially for junior/mid-level employees. They have enough resources to cover up anyone that leaves, very easily and on short notice.

If you're at a smaller or more entrepreneurial company... chances are that you fill an important niche and they will need to spend time recruiting and training your replacement. You would be wise to give a few months so that senior people don't have to fill in the holes and go through a panic scenario once you give 2 weeks notice.

I'm not sure how much references count for formal MBA recruiting; but your reputation is very important. You never know where your current colleagues will be in 2 years when you get out of B-School.

In conclusion: The world definitely moves on without you, but your last few months can really cement your reputation and image in people's eyes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 814 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
eminent wrote:
I think everyone just has to feel out their own unique situation. Most big firms have a culture of giving 2 week notice, especially for junior/mid-level employees. They have enough resources to cover up anyone that leaves, very easily and on short notice.

If you're at a smaller or more entrepreneurial company... chances are that you fill an important niche and they will need to spend time recruiting and training your replacement. You would be wise to give a few months so that senior people don't have to fill in the holes and go through a panic scenario once you give 2 weeks notice.

I'm not sure how much references count for formal MBA recruiting; but your reputation is very important. You never know where your current colleagues will be in 2 years when you get out of B-School.

In conclusion: The world definitely moves on without you, but your last few months can really cement your reputation and image in people's eyes.

Good point eminent
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Top B-School
Send PM
eminent wrote:

But don't you stand the risk of straining your nerves to breaking point while trying to please your soon-to-be ex-employer? I am finding it so difficult performing at the same level as I did before I knew I was definitely going to b-school. I'll rather quit while I am still in good graces. I think I am going to hand-in my official written notice on Tuesday. I just can't take it anymore.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Second week here for me. :-D Gave my notice last September.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
ACNguy wrote:
I gave my three month notice as my current project is winding down and I didn't want to be staffed on a long term engagement then to shock them midway through with news that I'm leaving. It was a risk, considering it'll be tough to staff me on a 1-2 month engagement but I think they appreciated the honesty. They gave me the option of a 2 year LOA with the rights to continue looking for employment elsewhere...just a nice little safety net in case something goes wrong. Pretty classy move by them if you ask me.

This is a truly great situation to be in. I have been told that I'd be welcome back as well. Even though I'd never do it, I think it'd be a nice point to mention to future employers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Congratulations to all who are doing such neat stuff before the MBA!

If you're just doing the typical, non-exciting quitting and de-compressing before moving across the country, when do you guys say is the best time to quit? Two months prior to start? One month?

My program starts August 23rd and I was thinking of high-tailing it the second week of July (after taking the Canada day week off to head to Toronto to find an apt).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Ross 2012
Send PM
I'm quitting my current job at the end of May. But alas, I may actually get an internship that will require me to work through the summer. There goes my dream of spending two months on my parents' couch, doing nothing but eat and watch TV.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8