Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What's your situation at work?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 7

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 16:36
Class2012 wrote:
Can I re-use the OPT left over from MS?

AFAIK - No

PS: Lemme go ahead and start a new thread for this .. that way we can consolidate some info for other member as well.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 20

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 18:44
rao_1857 wrote:
Class2012 wrote:

AFAIK - No

PS: Lemme go ahead and start a new thread for this .. that way we can consolidate some info for other member as well.

Ok, please give us a link when you do. :-)

I believe the one year OPT is attached to F1. If you get a new F1 for business school, you are granted new 12 months of OPT, but it doesn't carry over from your past.
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2010, 19:49
rao_1857 wrote:
Class2012 wrote:

AFAIK - No

A thread was started on this few weeks ago. h1-f1-conversion-87958.html
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 16

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:13
Anyone else thinking of traveling abroad (outside of their home country)? I'd love to get into any of the schools I'm applying to and my plan is to spend 6-8 weeks in China studying Chinese before schools starts. I have a great situation at work (boss and CEO wrote LORs, all very supportive) but I'd like to improve my language skills before embarking on the MBA path - I've been studying the language on my own with a tutor, but nothing beats actually being in the country of whatever language you're trying to learn, I believe.
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:34
InCaseYouAsked wrote:
Anyone else thinking of traveling abroad (outside of their home country)? I'd love to get into any of the schools I'm applying to and my plan is to spend 6-8 weeks in China studying Chinese before schools starts. I have a great situation at work (boss and CEO wrote LORs, all very supportive) but I'd like to improve my language skills before embarking on the MBA path - I've been studying the language on my own with a tutor, but nothing beats actually being in the country of whatever language you're trying to learn, I believe.

That would be a fantastic experience! I think you should absolutely go for it. But is the missus cool with it? :)
Intern
Intern

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2010, 10:48
Ha! Yeah, no not really. I want to go for 8 weeks, she's whittling me down to 4-6, depending on when I leave work (all dependent upon me getting accepted somewhere!).

Summer plans were also thrown off with two weddings smack dab in the middle of July, though thankfully one is in the Dominican Republic, so I really can't complain.

Alright - must resume prayers to gods of MBA Admissions.
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 10:23
InCaseYouAsked wrote:

That sounds amazing ! Unfortunately, I need all the money I can get, so I'll be only taking a month off, and that will be filled with typing up loose ends at home, seeing people before I move, and actually coordinating the move down South.

But if you go through with it, kudos to you !! :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2010, 10:27
My situation:

Working 12 hours a day until the very last second so that I can save money and not place our investors into the hands of my coworkers (just kidding on that one!).

I wish I could travel or something but I'm trying to pinch pennies to save cash for my car payments and insurance and whatnot during school.

School:
Boston College MBA '12

Intern
Intern

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 10:23
That's great, excellent idea. Biggest mistake I made after undergrad was thinking I needed to start work the next day. Graduated on Friday, started work on Monday. Dumb dumb dumb. Have a great trip!
Current Student
Schools: Cambridge/Judge '11

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2010, 05:15
I'm hoping to be admitted either to Oxford or Cambridge, which would postpone school start with a few weeks. Otherwise I will have to leave directly after the U2 concert on August 22nd, which leaves me roughly 1 week to reorientate before classes begin. Gotta have priorities. :lol:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 10:32
When are you guys going to quit? Beginning or end of the summer?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 10:20
Has anyone told their employer that they are leaving for school and then been laid off?

My company knows I applied to school, but I haven't yet told them I have an acceptance. I'm planning on doing it this week (maybe even today). I'd like to leave in 2 weeks (tomorrow would be even better!), unfortunately, I don't think it would be financially responsible of me to leave before the summer. I'm secretly hoping they will lay me off when I tell them (business is quite slow here), so I can collect unemployment and hang out for a few months. I think that's wishful thinking though. They may as well have me around if they are going to have to contribute to unemployment.

It's pretty hard to stay motivated at this point! The next three months are going to be quite long!

Anyone else in the same boat, or have a brilliant solution?!
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 06:50
This is a question for everyone:

How much notice have you given your employers? I am planning on leaving the team in June and am contemplating telling my manager either in April or in May... Of course no one on my team knows that I have applied to B-School so the announcement will come as a bit of a shock to the team....
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 10:00
I think everyone just has to feel out their own unique situation. Most big firms have a culture of giving 2 week notice, especially for junior/mid-level employees. They have enough resources to cover up anyone that leaves, very easily and on short notice.

If you're at a smaller or more entrepreneurial company... chances are that you fill an important niche and they will need to spend time recruiting and training your replacement. You would be wise to give a few months so that senior people don't have to fill in the holes and go through a panic scenario once you give 2 weeks notice.

I'm not sure how much references count for formal MBA recruiting; but your reputation is very important. You never know where your current colleagues will be in 2 years when you get out of B-School.

In conclusion: The world definitely moves on without you, but your last few months can really cement your reputation and image in people's eyes.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 3

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2010, 11:46
eminent wrote:
I think everyone just has to feel out their own unique situation. Most big firms have a culture of giving 2 week notice, especially for junior/mid-level employees. They have enough resources to cover up anyone that leaves, very easily and on short notice.

If you're at a smaller or more entrepreneurial company... chances are that you fill an important niche and they will need to spend time recruiting and training your replacement. You would be wise to give a few months so that senior people don't have to fill in the holes and go through a panic scenario once you give 2 weeks notice.

I'm not sure how much references count for formal MBA recruiting; but your reputation is very important. You never know where your current colleagues will be in 2 years when you get out of B-School.

In conclusion: The world definitely moves on without you, but your last few months can really cement your reputation and image in people's eyes.

Good point eminent
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top B-School
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 8

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 14:30
eminent wrote:

But don't you stand the risk of straining your nerves to breaking point while trying to please your soon-to-be ex-employer? I am finding it so difficult performing at the same level as I did before I knew I was definitely going to b-school. I'll rather quit while I am still in good graces. I think I am going to hand-in my official written notice on Tuesday. I just can't take it anymore.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 3439

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 13:33
Second week here for me. :-D Gave my notice last September.
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 15:44
ACNguy wrote:
I gave my three month notice as my current project is winding down and I didn't want to be staffed on a long term engagement then to shock them midway through with news that I'm leaving. It was a risk, considering it'll be tough to staff me on a 1-2 month engagement but I think they appreciated the honesty. They gave me the option of a 2 year LOA with the rights to continue looking for employment elsewhere...just a nice little safety net in case something goes wrong. Pretty classy move by them if you ask me.

This is a truly great situation to be in. I have been told that I'd be welcome back as well. Even though I'd never do it, I think it'd be a nice point to mention to future employers.
Current Student
Schools: Schulich class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 22:15
Congratulations to all who are doing such neat stuff before the MBA!

If you're just doing the typical, non-exciting quitting and de-compressing before moving across the country, when do you guys say is the best time to quit? Two months prior to start? One month?

My program starts August 23rd and I was thinking of high-tailing it the second week of July (after taking the Canada day week off to head to Toronto to find an apt).
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 4

Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 10:18
I'm quitting my current job at the end of May. But alas, I may actually get an internship that will require me to work through the summer. There goes my dream of spending two months on my parents' couch, doing nothing but eat and watch TV.

Respect my Authoritaaah!

Re: What's your situation at work?   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2010, 10:18