Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 2.7
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64941 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: What to infer from Kaplan / Manhattan / GMATPrep High scores? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi rockitzza,

First off, a 710/Q51 is an outstanding score (it's right around the 90th percentile) and it will allow you to comfortably apply to any Business School that you choose. While your argument for retesting (you didn't prepare much the first time, so you probably could score higher) makes some sense, you have to think about if it's really necessary.

What Schools are you planning to apply to?
When are you planning to apply?
Are you planning to apply to any specific scholarships?

Since the GMAT scoring algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. Your recent scores are all 'in range' of one another though, so assuming that you took the ENTIRE CAT and did so under realistic 'test-like' conditions, then these scores serve as a reasonably accurate assessment of your abilities.

If you find that you're having trouble with certain aspects of the Verbal section, then it might be worthwhile to invest in some new computer-based resources.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thank you so much for your response and kind words.

710 is a definitely a decent score, but I have a low undergraduate GPA (2.7) (from the top most university in India). Other parts of my profile are evaluated by many to be very strong and unique. I am a fairly successful entrepreneur having built a strong global business from scratch (Manufacturing). It will be six years since graduation at the time of joining a mba program. So people have told me that GPA would not factor so much. But then I thought a good gmat score would definitely cause no harm and there is definite scope of improvement in verbal, but yes the scary thoughts of messing up do cross my mind. :?

I would be targeting the top 10 bschools (Harvard & Stanford being my goal schools) and that I feel makes it more important for me to not give them a reason to reject the application. Is this line of reasoning correct?
I plan to apply in the upcoming Round 1. I haven't really looked into scholarships.

What new resources would you suggest?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rockitzza wrote:
Hello,

I have given gmat in 2011 a year out of college. I scored 710 (Q51, V34) AWA 6 with barely any preparation. Had just solved the Kaplan Advanced 800. But I feel that I should improve my verbal score and give it my best shot.

I am aiming to improve my verbal score drastically(Minimum 40+). Have been preparing for over a month now. Feel much more confident with verbal. Have properly read Manhattan SC guide, Powerscore CR & loads of online content. Practiced OG and still continuing practicing other resources.
However the practice tests I have taken are not really helping me understand if I should take a date to give gmat again. Here are my practice test scores with Split

In chronological order:
MGMAT 1 - 640 (Q45, V33) - [Base Test]
MGMAT 2 - 650 (Q43, V36)
MGMAT 3- 680 (Q45, V 37)
GMATPrep 1 - 710 (Q50, V36)
MGMAT 4 - 730 (Q45, V45)
KapTest 1 - 730 (Q51, V38) **** [Quant - made 12 mistakes]
KapTest 2 - 750 (Q51, V35) **** [Quant - made 5 mistakes, didn't submit last answer] [Despite a lower verbal score I wonder how I got a better overall score]

As you can see my verbal scores are all over the place. What do you suggest? I am not sure what scores to trust. Should I be happy or should I be demoralized that my verbal scores are not doing that great. I make around 2-4 errors in sentence correction, but falter with CR & specially RC. Has anyone been in a similar state. Some tips would be great. I wanted to judge if I can score above V38/V40 consistently in these tests, so I can be more confident in scheduling a re-test. But what should one make out of the splits? I am very confused if the risk is worth it? Any recommendations to get a fair assessment of one's verbal abilities?

Additionally, I find Manhattan Quant extremely time consuming compared to what I gave in the actual test and other tests that I have taken. Is that something to worry?

Here is what I think of your situation:

From your current scores, I would say that you are set for Q50 (a good chance of a 51) and V35+. That should give you a 700+. If that score is satisfactory and average/above avg for your target schools, you probably shouldn't worry very much. If not, then you might consider re-scheduling.

The good news is that you are doing well on SC. I hope you have a handle on Accuracy errors too since a lot of current material (including the official GMAT practice tests) does not focus much on it but from what I hear, current GMAT format has huge emphasis on logic and accuracy in SC.
I am a little surprised that you falter in CR. People who do well in Quant, automatically do well in CR. It is quite logical and mathematical once you know exactly what you are looking for in each case. Since you have done Powerscore CR, I would expect you to know how to handle each question type. Are there some particular question types that you struggle with in CR? Check out our blog for specific CR question types. Once it clicks, you would barely make a mistake or two.
RC skill is more difficult to acquire - depends on your interest and comfort in the passage topic, your comprehension while reading fast, your skill in focusing on the key words etc. More exposure and more GMAT specific RC practice helps.
To assess your Verbal ability, take GMAT prep test 2. It is a good indicator, though not even close to perfect.

Actual test questions of Quant are not time consuming. There is almost always a half minute solution. Usually very few calculations are involved and you can solve most questions orally - if you understand the logic well. If there were particular questions you found too time consuming, you should look for alternative solutions online. If you do not find anything, then be assured that it is highly unlikely that you will see such a question in the actual test. That said, you can put in 3-4 mins on a question since there will be many which you will wrap up in a minute. So you will have lots of extra time.

Thank you so much Karishma for a detailed response. Much appreciated.

Since I already have a valid 710 (Q51, V34) score to apply this coming R1, it makes it very difficult to decide whether it is worth the risk and effort. Though the confidence with verbal is definitely bending me towards retaking the Gmat.

I find it strange myself to falter with CR :( I have tried to analyze what goes wrong. I am more often than not able to boil down to two options in the questions that I find difficult, but then over think / miss the point and end up marking the wrong choice. This makes my CR performance highly fluctuating.

Also this is a trend that I have noticed for my verbal section. In the first 10-15 questions I barely make any mistakes. The middle section is where I try to accelerate coupled with higher question difficulty and an abnormally difficult RC :D, I end up getting majority of the questions wrong. The ending 5 odd questions balance out in the end. That makes me wonder that mostly it is a timing issue. How would you suggest I reduce time spent on each question and still maintain a good accuracy. [I tried a different strategy in MGMAT 4. Tried to be quick at the beginning at continue pace. I got quite a few wrong in the first 15 but in the last 25 I barely made a mistake. I ended up getting a V45 on that test. Is such a strategy advisable for the real gmat? ]

You pointed out a very apt thing - "once it clicks". I have had that moment in SC but despite a thorough read of Powerscore CR thrice, the 'click' is still not quite there. I am unable to see the tricks the answer choices are playing at times and tend to get too caught up in logic and reasoning - which ends up taking more time. What would you suggest to create that eureka moment in CR & RC?
GMAT Club Bot