Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

What was the amount of money awarded to the recipient of a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 89

GMAT ToolKit User
What was the amount of money awarded to the recipient of a [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 09:27
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:37) correct 44% (00:22) wrong based on 38 sessions
What was the amount of money awarded to the recipient of a research grant?

(1) Of the amount awarded, 50 percent was given to the recipient immediately.
(2) Of the amount awarded, $75,000 was to be given to the recipient upon completion of research.

Source: Gmat Hacks 1800
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

New to GMAT Club? Start here

Kindle Flashcards - Quant (Official Gmat Club, miguemick's Quant topics), and Verbal (Official Gmat Club) - in Kindle (azw3) format

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 243

Kudos [?]: 617 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: What was the amount of money awarded to the recipient of a [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
Neither statement is sufficient alone. Together, perhaps half the money was given immediately, and half at the end, and the total amount was $150,000. But it also could be that, say, half the money was given immediately, a quarter of the money was given halfway through the research, and the remaining quarter was given at the end, and the total was $300,000. Of course there are many other possibilities, so the answer is E.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 354 [2] , given: 241

Re: What was the amount of money awarded to the recipient of a [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 10:01
This post received
KUDOS
(1) Of the amount awarded, 50 percent was given to the recipient immediately. - Insufficient since we do not know the value of 50% in nominal terms.
(2) Of the amount awarded, $75,000 was to be given to the recipient upon completion of research. - Insufficient since we do not what is the percent equivalent of $75,000

Both Combined- This is tricky as many will think that because 50% of the grant was paid at the beginning, the remaining 50% will be paid upon the completion of research.
Pause for a sec, do we REALLY know the remaining 50% was paid in 1 installment at the end ---> No we don't because the remaining 50% of the grant can be paid in "n" installments.
20% in middle
30% at the end.
In both of the above mentioned cases, the total amount of the grant will be different. Thus Insufficient

So the answer is E.

Hope the detailed explanation helps.

Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 22

Re: What was the amount of money awarded to the recipient of a [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 11:19
This post received
KUDOS
megafan wrote:

(1) Of the amount awarded, 50 percent was given to the recipient immediately.
(2) Of the amount awarded, $75,000 was to be given to the recipient upon completion of research.

Source: Gmat Hacks 1800

OA has to be E. I am increasingly seeing such CR based assumption trap Quant question. Interesting shift. I also saw a similar style question on speed time and distance.

50 % was given immediately doesn't mean that the other 50% would be given after completion of research. Big assumption here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

Re: What was the amount of money awarded to the recipient of a   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2013, 11:19