Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

Two cars. Same price. Same class. Even the same color! Still a tough decision:

You may select 1 option
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Re: what would you buy? [#permalink]
aaudetat,

How can you pass up "super cute?"
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Personally, I'd buy:

0k miles, 3.5L Twin Turbo, Terrible gas mileage, Comfy ride, Totally uncute, Above-average reliability:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Hmmm...if I had to guess, I'd say option #1 is some sort of VW derivative, probably either a Golf or Beetle, and option #2 is probably something manufactured by Scion (aka Toyota)? xB?

For what it's worth, here's my situation: I'm going to be buying car #4 exclusively for the purpose of driving the 100 miles round trip each day to/from school (Elise is too rough, IS350 is too nice, Accord is wife's car). I used to be in love with the Smart ForTwo...until I drove it. It's awful to drive, but it gets great economy and is the right size for an urban environment. I have a deposit down at some dealer in Buffalo Grove, I think, if anyone wants to take delivery of one in September or so.

Anyway, I've whittled down my choices to either a used Civic, used Prius, used Hyundai of some kind, or used Yaris. Something that's super-cheap to insure, keep full of gas, have some remnants of a warranty, and that I don't mind if it gets a ding or seven million while I rack up the mileage. And that screams, "USED JAPANESE CAR." Also, I'm excited because I've never owned a car on which I'd actually be willing to put bumper stickers...so I have that going for me, too! I really like this one that says, "Japanese Cadillac."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Didn't vote.. I don't drive, don't even hold a driving license. Never needed a car. Every place I've lived has always had great public transport systems. Actually, its one of my weaknesses when it comes to networking. A group of guys will sometimes start talking about cars/bikes etc. but its an area i have absolutely no interest or knowledge in :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I belong to the low hassle, low maintainence party..personally, will go with excellent reliability, even with more miles on it...also, super cute certainly helps.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
excellent reliability is key... and super cute too. :P

I'll be keeping my Audi, since it'll remain in warranty until after I graduate, whew!!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Reliability is key. I just need my car to get me from point A to point B in an efficient manner. What good is a car if it spends more time in the shop than driving you around? :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Schools:Baruch / Zicklin
 V3
Send PM
I have had a Scion xB for over 2 years now and have put about 26k miles on it thus far. It is so reliable it's not even funny. If you take a look at a couple of the Scion forums, there are people with over 180,000 miles on their Scions and they have not had a single problem as of yet.

I get about 36mpg, maybe 27 mpg when i drive aggressively (stop and go traffic in manhattan sucks!) with the AC on.

The model I have is a 2006. The newly redesigned 2008 models have nearly a 40% bigger engine and are terrible on gas. People are getting 22-26mpg with the new model. These days, every mile counts!

The newly remodeled Accords are absolutely gorgeous as well! Just throwing out some ideas for you...

Gl and fwiw.
- tsd
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
haha- says the guy who drives a 350z ;)

ujjib wrote:
I belong to the low hassle, low maintainence party..personally, will go with excellent reliability, even with more miles on it...also, super cute certainly helps.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
ok, phase 2:

Car one is a Ford Focus ZX5. 32k. Private party, very well maintained. This guy is the second owner. My only concern with it is it's average reliability ratings per Consumer Rpts. On the other hand, it's practically new. Clean CarFax.

Car 2 is a Scion xA. Dealer sale. Seems underpriced - don't know if that'd b/c it doesn't fit in with the rest of the dealership or if there's something wrong with it. Clean CarFax. My concern: # of miles, the sluggish engine (scary on the interstate), and several reviews that say it's not very comfortable on long trips. It's also had several owners. Does the excellent reliability make up for the cheap-feeling ride and the somewhat mysterious past?

Anyway, I have another car to look at today and then I'm going to get a mechanic to check out the xA.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:

Car 2 is a Scion xA. Dealer sale. Seems underpriced - don't know if that'd b/c it doesn't fit in with the rest of the dealership or if there's something wrong with it. Clean CarFax. My concern: # of miles, the sluggish engine (scary on the interstate), and several reviews that say it's not very comfortable on long trips. It's also had several owners. Does the excellent reliability make up for the cheap-feeling ride and the somewhat mysterious past?

I change my vote to the first car. high mileage + mysterious past = unreliable, no matter how reliable the car's reputation may be.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
ok, phase 2:

Car one is a Ford Focus ZX5. 32k. Private party, very well maintained. This guy is the second owner. My only concern with it is it's average reliability ratings per Consumer Rpts. On the other hand, it's practically new. Clean CarFax.

Anyway, I have another car to look at today and then I'm going to get a mechanic to check out the xA.

Couple of comments.

1) 32k Focus already on its second owner - raised my eyebrow
2) Carfax is pretty close to worthless. My colleague just bought a 2003 BMW 540 with 70k miles from the original owner. The carfax was clean as well as another report (autocheck? - can't remember the name). In any event, my colleague took the car to his mechanic and found out that the car had had several mechanical issues from previous accidents and was repaired in less than optimal/original form. No indications of any kind from those two reports.
3) Shady/suspicious history is a red flag. Just walk away.
4) Ford's reliability is rising (NOTE this is a relative term :)), but still, do you think it will make it to 100k miles (not sure how much driving you plan to do) without issues? I wouldn't put $10 bucks on that.
5)It would be beneficial to know what model year the cars are. For instance, a 2005 with 74k would be well above average mileage.

As a final note, there are plenty of fish in the sea. To say the auto industry is struggling right now is a gross understatement. If you are interested in a Scion (or whatever car you really want), just keep your eyes peeled. No need to rush into anything. You do not want to save a few bucks now (let's say the Scion is $1.500 less than others you have seen), just to put a lot of money into it later. New brakes/rotors/tires will cost you $1,000+ easily, let alone any other issue you may have (mechanical, transmission, etc.).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
A note on carfax they really mean nothing. Many accidents dont get reported on it and dealers dont usually report issues with cars they take in or often fix. I would take it to a private mechanic to take a look at it before making an offer. It wont cost much and will be able to tell you far more than any carfax report.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
mechanic appt today at 3:30 for the xA.

they're both 2004.

the guy's selling the focus to buy his brother's Mercedes. The brother is in the foreign service and posting somewhere where they drive on the left so can't take his car. He bought the focus off a ford lot when it was 2 yrs old.

if the focus were a 2005 it'd be a done deal. that's the year that ford got its act together with those cars. 2004 is better than prior yrs, but still just average.

I never said suspicious history for the xA - just unknown.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Beware the unknown . . .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
learned my lessons :-D no more sports cars for me...actually no more cars for the next two years. i will do my bit for the environment and do the public transportation thing..

dosa_don wrote:
haha- says the guy who drives a 350z ;)

ujjib wrote:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3