Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 06:39

Starting Soon:

Live Q&A Session with Cambridge Admissions Team   ||    Join Chat Room to Attend the Session

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Which option is the preffered option for getting accepted to CBS

• 17% [3]
  • 82% [14]
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 9

Premium Member
Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 03:52
If one only had two options:
1) Visiting CBS only a few days before the application deadline.
2) Applying Early Decision a few months before the deadline.

Which option would give him or her the better chance of getting accepted?

Try to make my way to San Jose.

??? class of 2016

Retired Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 21:47
Here is ManhattanReview take on Early Decision at CBS.
columbia-s-early-decision-90269.html

Would love to get their view on the question above.
Any one else have something to say regarding visiting CBS or applying Early Decision

??? class of 2016

Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 06:39
Visiting the school is a nice to have but not a requirement. It won't demonstrably increase your odds of being accepted. However CBS does truly rolling admissions so the earlier you get your application in the better. There are more seats available and you get to have them spend more time on your application because they aren't as overwhelmed as they will be right before the deadline. I say submit early as long as you feel the application is solid and well written.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 05:30
I'd second what MAppleby has said, given my experience applying to CBS...
I applied to the August 2013 term earlier this year. My interviewer recommended me to CBS, but my application was rejected. My interviewer told me it was the first time in 20 interviews that the school did something contrary to his recommendation. I should note here that my interview report was filed in early March (when many spots had already been taken). I re-applied to CBS for the January 2014 term and was recently accepted, without an interview. Several positive things had happened in the 5 months since my prior application, that made my application stronger - but with all due modesty, I think my first application to CBS would have been accepted if it had been filed earlier.
I think this point is particularly important if you have a common profile (e.g. you're an Indian engineer or white male that works in finance/consulting). That being said, my campus visit significantly increased my opinion of CBS and it provided some useful context when writing my application. Nonetheless, I'd suggest that you apply as early as you reasonably can...
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 06:17
Agreed with the above. In addition, if you have a chance to reach out to current students who have similar interests to you, then you can write your impressions in your essays and I think that shows plenty of interest in the school and will give you a chance to learn some of the stuff you would learn from your campus visit.
Retired Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2013, 03:27
"Please note that August entry Regular Decision applications will not be reviewed earlier than December 1."
Really backs up going Early Decision.

https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admis ... heckstatus

??? class of 2016

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 25

Re: Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 21:15
TechWithNoExp wrote:
"Please note that August entry Regular Decision applications will not be reviewed earlier than December 1."
Really backs up going Early Decision.

https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admis ... heckstatus

I apologize 'TwnE', but where did you read that data point? I clicked on the Columbia link you provided and didn't see that written. Thanks
Retired Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 22:02
Hey Physics,

CBS has changed around their site a bit and they may have taken down that sentence.
I can only say that it was written in the old version of the web page.
From what I understand CBS starts looking over regular decision application only after they have checked all early decision applications.
So I guess it doesn't really matter on what date they actually start to check the regular decision apps. It will be later on in the process.
I am sure you can send admissions a email regarding specifics or ask Matthew on the ask Columbia GSB Admissions feed.
ask-columbia-gsb-admissions-121805-260.html

??? class of 2016

Retired Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2013, 22:32
Physics,

Not the exact quote but has the same meaning.
"We'll begin reviewing August-entry regular decision applications in December once all required materials have been received."
http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admissions/faq

??? class of 2016

Re: Whats better Visiting CBS or Handing in Application Early   [#permalink] 18 Aug 2013, 22:32