Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Re: whats the best MBA concentration to get into [#permalink]
guard88 wrote:
I understand what you are saying. However, I won’t pick a concentration or career choice simply on salary and job growth. I just want to start with a strong and ideal foundation for a career choice. Then I will look at all the details.

Again, it depends what you want to do. What interests you? What jobs fit with your skills and experiences? What is your vision for yourself 5 years from now or 20 years from now?

Plenty of schools will give you foundations for general management and the basics of accounting/marketing/finance/leadership, but beyond that you need to have a better picture of what you want to do. Some schools are better known than others for producing I-bankers, CEOs, venture capitalists, entrepreneurs, consultants, private equity guys, etc.

You'll have to be able to do a better job of convincing the AdCom why you need an MBA if you want to get into any top-tier programs.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Management consulting with McKinsey.
Investment banking with Goldman Sachs.

Best of luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
bakfed wrote:
Management consulting with McKinsey.
Investment banking with Goldman Sachs.

Best of luck!

I agree with this recommendation. If you're just beginning to research the post-MBA career opportunities, you may as well look into the two most popular career choices: investment banking and management consulting. While IB and MC both pay very good salaries, very few people stay in these jobs for their entire career. Investment bankers seem to average 80+ hours/week, earning around $200k in their first year. Management Consultants average around 60 hours/week, not including the time they spend traveling 3-4 days per week, earning around $150k in their first year.

Top Investment Banks
Goldman Sachs
JP Morgan Chase
Morgan Stanley
Credit Suisse
BofA/Merrill Lynch
Deutsche Bank
Barclays Capital
UBS
Citigroup
Lazard

Top Management Consulting Firms
Top Tier: McKinsey & Co., Bain & Co., Boston Consulting Group (M/B/B)
Other: Parthenon Group, Booz & Co., A.T. Kearney, Deloitte, Monitor, L.E.K., Accenture, Booz Allen Hamilton, Oliver Wyman, and MANY others.

Wetfeet offers a decent introduction to some of the more popular careers and industries for MBA's: https://www.wetfeet.com/careers---industries.aspx
Banned
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
clearly finance OP, have you not seen American Psycho.

But seriously, finance unless you are not a true alpha male.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Wow - I take a week away and the outstandingly unhelpful southernstunna comes into my domain.

OP - You really need to think through what you want to do with yourself more. To deal with all the finance recommendations, as a finance professional I would not be so sure it is the place of great wealth for the next ten years. Which is fine if you enjoy it, but the money chasers are going to leave because regulation and the torch-and-fork mob are going to make sure it doesn't happen.

There are plenty careers that pay well. But doing something you actually find interesting really matters, especially in the first five years when you are working yourself to death for a relatively under-paid salary.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
https://www.careers-in-finance.com/

Is also a nice place for some info. (also emont already mentioned vault)

Really, a simple google search is all you need. After you get a feel for each career option, then you can look at specifics. (this place is a great tool -- you just need to search through the threads)

I'm also of the belief that if you are good at what you do, money will come to you. Placing into IB or consulting (top consulting companies) is extremely difficult so you can't just "choose" a field half-heartedly based on just growth and compensation. (Yes, money plays a huge role but not everyone can handle these top jobs and there are also a lot of other options out there) Without at least a little background, it's just too difficult to recommend anything.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
I would suggest starting from the opposite direction:

What actually interests you?
What would you be good at?
Do you already have experience in a given field?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
I would say no concentration and ideally wait a year or so before you attend if possible. I learned a lot about myself through the application process so maybe you'll figure it out that way. If you're already in and ready I'd say be a generalist until you find what you enjoy and concentrate on that.

I tend to feel sustainability and green energy will be a lucrative and expanding industry but that is the future and you need to do what you like. That's why I want an MBA, to get a job I like.

Becky

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts