Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: whats wrong with me :S [#permalink]
Expert Reply
So, are you following the strategy from the PowerScore CR book?
It did not tell you to try to answer the question before jumping to answer choices?

Here is what worked for me:
1. Read the question first - know what's asked - don't get into the details as to what it asks, just see if it is a weaken/strengthen/assumption, or smth else.
2. Read the Passage
3. Read the question again
4. Answer the question without reading a single answer choice (VERY IMPORTANT)
5. Skim through the answer choices - until you find a match to what you had in mind (usually a 5-10 sec process for me)
At this point I am usually able to answer 70% of questions
6. If you did not find one that matched your answer, read the answer choices again.
7. If you can't identify the best one. Between the best two, the wrong one will be outside the scope in most cases

That's it. I was able to solve CR's at the speed of 1 or 1.5 mins. The part that makes it fast is answering the question before looking at the answer choices.
I would re-read the passage in only 1 or 2 questions per test - you must be able to function with just one pass.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks bb!

yeah powerscore does talk abt prephasing but i guess am missing out that step thinking it will save time..but i guess it will also get questions wrong...
i am going over powerscore again...i wish i could practice questions according to the question type...is there a list that categorizes questions in gmat verbal review? i know its better to practice randomly spread out questions but just to make sure i can nail down each question type frst and then work with the randomness...do u think thats a wrong approach?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zzxxdd wrote:
thanks bb!

yeah powerscore does talk abt prephasing but i guess am missing out that step thinking it will save time..but i guess it will also get questions wrong...

:lol: amazing how it works.

So, did we figure out what's wrong with you?
Follow the strategy exactly step by step. Don't try to cut corners or outsmart it. It was written by very smart guys - let them do their job.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
heheeh :oops: will keep that in mind thanks :) will keep u posted on the progress
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
bb gave very good advice. As test takers, we need to be actively involved in these questions. Anticipating the answer helps reduce time spent on each question and improves your accuracy. Stay on the offense!

But if you still feel uncomfortable, look into Powerscore's Logical Reasoning guide. It's an LSAT book, but some high GMAT scorers swear by it.

Good luck!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
bb wrote:
So, are you following the strategy from the PowerScore CR book?
It did not tell you to try to answer the question before jumping to answer choices?

Here is what worked for me:
1. Read the question first - know what's asked - don't get into the details as to what it asks, just see if it is a weaken/strengthen/assumption, or smth else.
2. Read the Passage
3. Read the question again
4. Answer the question without reading a single answer choice (VERY IMPORTANT)
5. Skim through the answer choices - until you find a match to what you had in mind (usually a 5-10 sec process for me)
At this point I am usually able to answer 70% of questions
6. If you did not find one that matched your answer, read the answer choices again.
7. If you can't identify the best one. Between the best two, the wrong one will be outside the scope in most cases

That's it. I was able to solve CR's at the speed of 1 or 1.5 mins. The part that makes it fast is answering the question before looking at the answer choices.
I would re-read the passage in only 1 or 2 questions per test - you must be able to function with just one pass.

I am always in search of such advices by BB. :) I have taken a print of this section, highlighted it and pasted on my room wall under CR section. Best strategy! Kudos!!

BB, it will be great if you can have a same summarized list for RC & SC. (Just a request & a suggestion, otherwise I will search)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Really? Sure - happy to share. This CR strategy was something that Kaplan, MGMAT, and PowerScore recommend - one share or another.

For RC - take a look at this thread: gmat-club-s-reading-comprehension-strategy-guide-83101.html

I will post something about SC in a bit.
GMAT Club Bot