Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: When are you guys breaking the news to recommenders? [#permalink]
When I was working on my app last year I asked my recommenders at the beginning of August. The main thing is to make sure check up every so often and (politely) keep on them to get the recommendations done. There were a lot of people stressed out last year as their LORs were submitted sometimes only hours before the round deadline.

I think that you need to look at when your first recommendations are due and decide accordingly. If you are going to apply to HBS R1 (which is due at the very beginning of October), you probably don't want to wait until late August/early sept. However, if your first app isn't due until late oct or Nov 1, then that is probably fine. Sooner is probably better however.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
I think when terp says "breaking the news" he's talking about the fact that for many of us asking for reccomendations also means telling your boss you plan on leaving the company. My plan is to do it mid to late July, which basically means in about a week or two.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Here's what I'm really struggling with. I know that these LORs are not really top priority items for my recommenders. If I were to guess, they will spend perhaps 30-45 minutes per recommendation. I would also guess that they will do them at the last minute (late September, early October). Considering this is the case - does it really make sense to notify them now? I would figure that a polite courtesy would be to notify them mid-end August and that gives them about a month to find a few scattered hours in their schedule to take care of these.

If I tell them now, my guess is that they will put them aside and will not even look at them until early September.

Originally posted by agold on 07 Jul 2008, 09:11.
Last edited by agold on 07 Jul 2008, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I think when terp says "breaking the news" he's talking about the fact that for many of us asking for reccomendations also means telling your boss you plan on leaving the company. My plan is to do it mid to late July, which basically means in about a week or two.

Yes - This is exactly what I meant. Noone at the company knows yet.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

Yes - This is exactly what I meant. Noone at the company knows yet.

I knew I was going to get a raise in July so I decided I'd break the news a few weeks after. Got the raise last week, and since I plan to apply for R1 at schools like HBS, I plan to ask my recommenders at the end of this month/first week of August. I've already told one of my recommenders that I'm "strongly considering" applying for b-school this fall - didn't want to make it official b/c I didn't want to lose out on getting a bigger raise :wink:

I know though that as soon as I tell my recommenders, I can expect that my workload will increase (they'll ask for all kinds of misc projects) and that I won't get assigned any fun new clients (since they know I'm leaving). That won't be fun but c'est la vie...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I was actually in a unique position where my recommenders where my boss's boss. So I broke the new to them and they told me not to tell anyone else including my boss. Pretty nice huh?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
just broke the news today to my 2nd recommender thanks to this thread
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I spoke to my recommenders about 3 - 4 weeks ago. One is a boss from my former job. He's great and is willing to help me out in any way possible. I'm not asking for a LOR from my current boss as I've only been in this job a short amount of time and he's an idiot. I have an absolutely crappy job and it's so hard to get motivated for this job, especially since we're doing our job with one arm tied behind our backs and he's the reason it's not changing....PM and I'll provide more details if you're really interested in a case study of a bad manager.

I have a co-worker here that will write one for me and another LOR from a former business partner of mine.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I looked for recommenders in late June of last year. I gave them a package to educate them around late August and gave them 6 weeks to do it. Of course they procrastinated until 1-2 weeks before the due date, but because I gave it to them so early and told them about my expectations, they had no excuses for not working on it the 1-2 weeks before the recs were due. That is the benefit of giving it to them early even though they won't do much until a few weeks beforehand. :)

Also give yourself 1 week to prepare the "education" package. It actually takes a bit of work depending on what the recommenders ask you to do. Mine wanted me to list all the examples of what I've done to "refresh their memory" so they can write the letters.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
I'm in the same predicament as jallenmorris.

I will be asking my manager from my former job for one LOR, and one from my graduate school supervisor.
My immediate boss in my new job is a complete idiot. Her boss, however, is great. But I am not as involved with him, and I am worried that he won't really have much to say about me. Thats why I am thinking of going to my boss from my former job, which I resigned from about 14 months ago.

Now my question: even though schools say they don't mind us asking former bosses to write LORs, would they ever question why I wasn't "gutsy" to ask my present boss? Would I be held at a disadvantage?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
I am in a similar predicament here in the sense that I am not even 1 year into the current job yet, but am preparing for bschool applications for next fall already.
In this sense, I am not sure if it is a good thing to let my supervisor know... being that I am still quite new for him to write anything constructive about me.....

I am, however, thinking about letting a few of the clients and a former boss to write me the
letter of recommendations, though..... Wondering if that'll be a good idea....

The recommendation part really is the hardest besides the essays, in my opinions.... :?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
whom would you guys think would be a better recommender:

1) grad school supervisor: famous in his own realm, chairperson of the department.

2) former client: pretty high up, but was a client of mine from my previous job.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sarzan wrote:

1) grad school supervisor: famous in his own realm, chairperson of the department.

2) former client: pretty high up, but was a client of mine from my previous job.

If it's one of 2 recommendations - #2.

If it's your 3rd recommendation and you already have 2 professional ones - #1.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
sarzan wrote:

It would be my second LOR. My first would be from my former boss. I don't want to ask my present boss because a) I'm new here, 2) she's an idiot although her boss is cool, and 3) I'm still friends with my former boss and may even guide him more comfortably.

Well terp06, I'm kind of surprised you would think a client would be better than a famous academic. Would you mind explaining why? Anyone else with similar/different opinion?

Cheers
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sarzan wrote:
terp06 wrote:
sarzan wrote:

It would be my second LOR. My first would be from my former boss. I don't want to ask my present boss because a) I'm new here, 2) she's an idiot although her boss is cool, and 3) I'm still friends with my former boss and may even guide him more comfortably.

Well terp06, I'm kind of surprised you would think a client would be better than a famous academic. Would you mind explaining why? Anyone else with similar/different opinion?

Cheers

The recommendations are meant to convey information about your work habits, leadership, etc in the workplace. Your transcripts and GMAT scores will do the talking when it comes to displaying your academic qualifications and showing that you would be academically successful at B-School.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I talked to my recommenders in August about it. Gave them the packet of materials a little later (a few weeks).
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Just broke the news, and it went really well. My boss supports my plans 110% and said he will do anything he can to help out in the process. Big load off my shoulders :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2