Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

When to apply for B-Schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 15:18
What I've been doing is studying a bit for the GMAT the past two months (mostly on getting myself re-familiar with the quant concepts...geometry kills me), which I'll ramp up in preparation for taking the GMAT at the end of April. I'd like to squeeze in some school visits, but if not, I'll do that in September or October. The goal is to apply to half my schools in round 1 and the rest in round 2. I've got a general wishlist of schools, which I'm sure I'll be forced to narrow down (don't think I can apply to Duke/UNC/Wake Forest/NYU/UCLA/Cal/USC/ASU/Darden in one app cycle!)

http://omnemba.blogspot.com

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 438 [1] , given: 210

Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2008, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
See my response in blue
sandeepchiks wrote:
Hi,
Thanks.

Some more queries.

1) I have heard when you pay the fees for GMAT test, it covers application fees for 5 universities.
That is correct. Normally it takes USD 25 to send a score to a University. However, when you sit the test you can send your scores to five universities for free. Normally students send these to five schools that they *might* apply to.

2) I have as well heard that you need to apply to B-schools even before taking up the test. How is this possible ?
This is not correct. You need a gmat score to apply to almost all b-schools

3) What kind of essays does one need to send to B-schools ?
They vary from schools to school. One essay that you will almost always encounter is one affectionately termed as the "goals" essay. It would be something like : "Why do you want to do an MBA now ? What are your long term and short term goals post graduation ? How will an MBA from this school help you achieve these goals?".
Other questions vary from school to school. Some common topics that they ask about are :
- Culture shock
- Achievements
- Teamwork
- Passions
- Failures
- Creative
- MBA community involvement

Thanks
Sandeep
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: When to apply for B-Schools [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2008, 06:34
Hey guys i didn't realise that my english writing has gotten this bad. Actually, I too am a little on the older side and more importantly I am (or used to be) also a little conservative about writing good english. I must thank you all for reminding me about my english going off track. Actually I used to get pretty annoyed at people for writing this badly and actually I got picked at by few of my friends for writing very correctly and formally. Now that I know that there are quite a few people out there who share my feelings, I will make sure that I write as correctly as I can. Afterall, we all owe to the many hours that we spent on Sentence Corrections didn't we. I hope this post is all correct and complete with all the punctuation marks. Yet again, I am sorry for the trouble and thank you all!!!
Re: When to apply for B-Schools   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2008, 06:34