Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Re: Where can I apply to Business School with this profile? [#permalink]
Well a 560 is already above approx 50% of people that take the GMAT, so this is not a terrible score! This score would probably keep you from gettting into Top FULL TIME programs, but since you are planning on going part time you can in fact have a shot at some good schools. Part time is much less selective.

The best school within your score range, and within your distance is USC.PM which has an average GMAT of 620 and an 80% range of 540-690. So your score would be on the lower end, so you'd have to bring something special somewhere else, but your GPA is much higher than the average GPA there which is only 3.11. USC.PM also accepts approximately 75% of the students that apply, but only about 60% of those accepted end up matriculating. Obviously, this school would be much more expensive, but would also have a better reputation than USD. The challenge for you would be that the classes are offered at nights. You should check into USC's satellite capus in Orange County. They offer the same classes in Orange County and you still will receive the USC degree, and this would be much closer to San Diego for you.

The best MBA program in in the SD area I believe would be the school that you already applied to and UCSD (if they have MBA program), but there is also Point Loma and CSUSM. I believe you'd have a great shot of getting into all of these programs. Also, you'd have an excellent shot at every other school I mentioned earlier. The only school that would most likely be out of reach for you would be UCLA's FEMBA program b/c the average GMAT is 690, and you would not be within the 80% range.

Good luck!

PS, you are correct about weight on the Quant section. A 32% quant will not do you any favors. Are you ready to start an MBA program which will be very quant intensive? To mitigate a low quant score you will have to show usage of quant skills in other areas of your life or profession. You could also take a stats or calculus class at a local college and get an A to help.

How long did you study for the GMAT Quant? With your strong verbal, you'd be able to easily hit much higher scores with some improvement in Quant. It's much easier to improve quant than verbal. If you were able to hit the 60-70% in quant, i believe this would be enough to mitigate any concern over your Quant background at the schools you are targeting.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATLA wrote:
Well a 560 is already above approx 50% of people that take the GMAT, so this is not a terrible score! This score would probably keep you from gettting into Top FULL TIME programs, but since you are planning on going part time you can in fact have a shot at some good schools. Part time is much less selective.

The best school within your score range, and within your distance is USC.PM which has an average GMAT of 620 and an 80% range of 540-690. So your score would be on the lower end, so you'd have to bring something special somewhere else, but your GPA is much higher than the average GPA there which is only 3.11. USC.PM also accepts approximately 75% of the students that apply, but only about 60% of those accepted end up matriculating. Obviously, this school would be much more expensive, but would also have a better reputation than USD. The challenge for you would be that the classes are offered at nights. You should check into USC's satellite capus in Orange County. They offer the same classes in Orange County and you still will receive the USC degree, and this would be much closer to San Diego for you.

The best MBA program in in the SD area I believe would be the school that you already applied to and UCSD (if they have MBA program), but there is also Point Loma and CSUSM. I believe you'd have a great shot of getting into all of these programs. Also, you'd have an excellent shot at every other school I mentioned earlier. The only school that would most likely be out of reach for you would be UCLA's FEMBA program b/c the average GMAT is 690, and you would not be within the 80% range.

Good luck!

PS, you are correct about weight on the Quant section. A 32% quant will not do you any favors. Are you ready to start an MBA program which will be very quant intensive? To mitigate a low quant score you will have to show usage of quant skills in other areas of your life or profession. You could also take a stats or calculus class at a local college and get an A to help.

How long did you study for the GMAT Quant? With your strong verbal, you'd be able to easily hit much higher scores with some improvement in Quant. It's much easier to improve quant than verbal. If you were able to hit the 60-70% in quant, i believe this would be enough to mitigate any concern over your Quant background at the schools you are targeting.

I only recently decided to go to B school so I only had about 4 weeks to study, most of which was the math. I did not take any math courses my last two years of college so obviously that was going to be a weakness. When I did take math during my first two years I scored all A's. I believe if I had taken the recommended 8-12 weeks to study the math parts specifically I would have done much better in that department.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
If you think that you can better your GMAT score with another retake, why not to give it another shot? Why let the test score play a spoiler here, especially when that's one thing that's most under your control.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
bizschoolprep wrote:
If you think that you can better your GMAT score with another retake, why not to give it another shot? Why let the test score play a spoiler here, especially when that's one thing that's most under your control.

Agreed. The quant is "learnable" with practice. Your upside is pretty large.

As for schools, I would visit some of the schools in the area and see where you see yourself fitting in best.
GMAT Club Bot