Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 15:55 It is currently 09 May 2024, 15:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which tier of schools do I have a realistic shot at?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Where Should I Apply and Future Plan [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bb11 wrote:
As for choosing between schools, it is really tough more me to discern the difference between most of the criteria. How much of the "Kellogg and Duke are better for marketing while Columbia and Stern are better for finance" talk is just stereotyping? How much of job placement statistics just comes from self-selection? Makes it hard for me to glean much.

Would love to hear some more feedback!!

Asimov gave you much to think about, so I'll just add on to your last comment. A lot of that is stereotyping, but there is some truth to it. For obvious reasons, finance recruiting at Columbia and Stern are going to be stronger than other schools, especially since a lot of applicants and students self-select into those schools based on having career goals in IBD/PE/VC in NYC. Do Columbia and Stern also have really strong marketing programs? Yes they do!

When it comes to the schools you are looking at, all of them will have great programs. Yes, marketing is super strong at Kellogg, but you can still go elsewhere and get a great marketing program with similar recruiting offerings at other places. What you have to consider is if all these schools are good fits for you -- do you want to be in the midwest vs New England vs the mid-Atlantic, do you want to work at the companies/roles that hire from these schools, do you like the curriculum at each (they ARE different), do you like the students? If you can, try to visit each and/or attend the admissions information sessions. They'll give you some more sense of the school as a whole versus what you read on the website.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Your GMAT is fine, however I think it's very unwise to apply to business schools with little (and so-so) experience. Getting into top-tier schools with only three years of experience at matriculation is tough enough, let alone if you don't either have blue-chip experience. I'd advise you to change functions (to marketing, perhaps), and apply when you would have four years of work experience at matriculation.

P.S. I'm another white male from a mid-tier UC, so PM me if you want to talk further.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
You have a good GMAT score and an average GPA. You are from a less competitive background i.e psychology
Though there is no hard and fast criteria regarding number of years of experience, but mostly minimum 3 years of experience is preferred.

You have the potential to be in the top MBA programs. I think you should keep your targets high. If I were you I would wait at least two years, get an outstanding work experience and extracurricular experience. Remember good leadership experience is almost a necessity at top programs. Try to be in leadership roles at your Workplace and in your extracurricular activities. Gain accolades and awards for your work.

Good Luck!
https://www.InterviewBay.com
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts