Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey man when did you interview with Rice and when did you get acceptance?
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
I interviewed 1/29 and received the admissions invitation march 2cnd. A package then came the following day from them informing me of their scholarship decision.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Seriously, have you researched which school places better with the consulting firms you would like to work for? Have you called the schools to get you in touch with current students focusing on MC? I wish I could help you more, but I don't know jack about consulting. It would be nice to see you at Vandy, but I would certainly understand if you took the big money from Rice. Good luck!
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
Seriously, have you researched which school places better with the consulting firms you would like to work for? Have you called the schools to get you in touch with current students focusing on MC? I wish I could help you more, but I don't know jack about consulting. It would be nice to see you at Vandy, but I would certainly understand if you took the big money from Rice. Good luck!

I think Rice is better for consulting. Mckinsey takes between 2-5 students a year and Bain& co. about 1-2. Although I am worried that Vanderbilt carries a better name if I do decide to change my mind as to what I want to do post degree. Plus, Vandy seems very intent on climbing the rankings...I am confused...oh well maybe Cornell or UVA will admit me and give me $$ (not likely) and then I wont have to worry. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I interviewed with Rice on Feb 26. I just got my admission acceptance!

They said they will FedEx info tom, i assume that will have scholarship info.

So far I have acceptance at TCU with 20k a year scholarship.

We might be cohorts at rice in the fall!
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
dipeshc4 wrote:
I interviewed with Rice on Feb 26. I just got my admission acceptance!

They said they will FedEx info tom, i assume that will have scholarship info.

So far I have acceptance at TCU with 20k a year scholarship.

We might be cohorts at rice in the fall!

Congrats! We very well might be. I am planning on attending admits weekend april20-21...we should meet up if you go. Also, the package does contain scholarship info.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:

Congrats! We very well might be. I am planning on attending admits weekend april20-21...we should meet up if you go. Also, the package does contain scholarship info.

I am waiting on McCombs, my first choice. I presume you will only be attending if you decide to go to Rice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

I think Rice is better for consulting. Mckinsey takes between 2-5 students a year and Bain& co. about 1-2. Although I am worried that Vanderbilt carries a better name if I do decide to change my mind as to what I want to do post degree. Plus, Vandy seems very intent on climbing the rankings...I am confused...oh well maybe Cornell or UVA will admit me and give me $$ (not likely) and then I wont have to worry. :)

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you. I've been accepted into Georgia Tech, which seems to have a decent reputation w/ the big consulting firms.. but I have a feeling that Vandy has a better brand name..

I'm still waiting on a decision from vandy, so of course if I dont' get in the whole point is moot! =)
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
dipeshc4 wrote:
squali83 wrote:

I am waiting on McCombs, my first choice. I presume you will only be attending if you decide to go to Rice.

No, I think I am going to attend regardless to meet the other admits and get a feel for them and see if I would mesh with them well.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
amorica wrote:
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you. I've been accepted into Georgia Tech, which seems to have a decent reputation w/ the big consulting firms.. but I have a feeling that Vandy has a better brand name..

I'm still waiting on a decision from vandy, so of course if I dont' get in the whole point is moot! =)

Well good luck with Vandy, when did you apply?. It is so funny how one decision can weigh on someone's mind so heavily. I spend too much time at work trying to figure out which is better!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
For those interested in Vandy, have you checked out the Owen Bloggers board? I found a member on there that had my same interests and career path, and through a few emails he was able to tell me the pros and cons of the program. I would certainly suggest taking a look at the site to gain additional information if you haven't already.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
amorica wrote:
squali83 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:

Well good luck with Vandy, when did you apply?. It is so funny how one decision can weigh on someone's mind so heavily. I spend too much time at work trying to figure out which is better!

I applied in the 3rd round.. so I should hear back 4/1/07...I had below average stats and considering its round 3, not sure I'm looking too good..but you never know..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Even though Vandy is ranked higher, I know Rice has excellent placements. I know several people that went into either Corporate Finance or Oil/Energy with very high salaries (>90K). Rice's repuation is very regional and so is Vandy. TX's economy is much better and more then likely you'll end up in TX which is by no means a consolation. Great weather, No State income tax (which you'll need to normailize with other schools salaries) and a very solid economy.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
agsfaltex wrote:
Even though Vandy is ranked higher, I know Rice has excellent placements. I know several people that went into either Corporate Finance or Oil/Energy with very high salaries (>90K). Rice's repuation is very regional and so is Vandy. TX's economy is much better and more then likely you'll end up in TX which is by no means a consolation. Great weather, No State income tax (which you'll need to normailize with other schools salaries) and a very solid economy.

What about the part that it's in Texas? Though I must say that my two experiences there are biased: when I was in second grade, I visited my cousin who'd just had a baby, but came down with chicken pox right after I got there. And this summer I presented to a bunch of examiners (a hot crew, believe you me) but was trapped the entire time in a very scary resort near Dallas.

As long as you don't get chicken pox and don't get trapped in a resort, I'm all about taking the money!
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
agsfaltex wrote:

That is a good piece of information to know. I was unaware of Texas not having state income tax. I am definitely leaning twoards Rice as Aaud says, "I'm all about taking the money".
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]