Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Where to study in NYC?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Where to study in NYC? [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2007, 20:14
I just started my GMAT prep. Unfortunately, my apartment isn't the best place to study on weekends. Are there any places, or public libraries that you can recommend for studying in NYC? Most of the branch libraries seem to be closed on Sunday's.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 05:25
I was in NYC a few times while studying for the GMAT and I spent some time in the main branch of the public library (on 5th Ave). It was pretty quiet in there and I *think* they're open on Sudays (I don't remember for sure). I also spent some time studying in the library at Columbia (for inspiration-and with the hope that some of the "smart" floating around might rub off on me!).

Otherwise, I'm sure that no matter where you are, you could probably find a Starbucks or other coffeehouse to sit in for a few hours. I personally benefit from a little background noise (it makes my mind not wander so much), but most coffeehouses are pretty quiet, with other people reading or talking quietly. Actually, the best ones to study in are around colleges because there will be other people there studying.

Sorry I couldn't give more specific places, but I tend to wander around when I'm in the city. :)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck, Kellogg, Darden, Duke, NYU, Columbia

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

study [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 06:25
I found coffee shops to work well, except if you are doing one of those full length tests. When I took the real gmat, in Brooklyn, the outside noise was still loud. Jack hammers, horns, trucks... so it might be worth having some noise around to get used to it.

My favs:
-I am a fan of my company cafeteria after hours... no one is in there and there is plenty of room to spread out.
-News cafe on University near Union Square
-Ollies in Brooklyn

good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Baruch / Zicklin
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 148

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 09:01
There are a lot of office buildings as well which have public areas that aren't that noisy... You can try the Citicorp building (53rd and lexington) - and there is also a barnes an noble there with a few tables that you can study at OR stay in the public "atrium" part of the building.

There are several other buildings which also double as motivation ;] i know the sony building off of 5th avenue has a public space as well as the ibm builing off of 57th street... i honestly would try to go to one of these places and more often than none you can find a quiet spot.

starbucks sucks now that they started playing music that they also sell @ the counter... it's so loud and yeah, it might be okay music but when you're trying to study its a pain in the ____.

hth,
- tsd
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 11:37
how do u get access to columbia's lib?

i rather study at home. privacy..i tend to scratch every now and then.

Last edited by bmwhype2 on 26 Sep 2007, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 11:38
bmwhype2 wrote:

Become president of Iran

Last edited by kidderek on 26 Sep 2007, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2007, 11:40
LOLOL ^ Probably more feasible for most than getting into HBS. ^_^
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2007, 08:20
I say Brooklyn has the best coffee shops!

Ollies- parents come in here sometime with the brats
Height Coffee Shop- most cozy
Saje- great spot, free internet, good food, and free coffee refills!

I go to one of the above places every day! Saje has late hrs til 11:30-12. Heights til 9, Ollies til 10- but they dont have free internet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 00:15
kidderek wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Become president of Iran

Or pakistan. Musharaf was there in 05-06.

Btw, You can enter the engg school library with no card. You need a card to enter the building though. But there are always people around to let you in. You cannot enter the butler library or the b-school library without a card. But I am sure you can find plenty of quiet places in the campus to study.

You can try the lounges in most of the buildings. Again, if you wait for a couple of minutes, you can get in to any of these lounges even if you dont have a card.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 4

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 10:35
ioiio wrote:
kidderek wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Become president of Iran

Btw, You can enter the engg school library with no card. You need a card to enter the building though. But there are always people around to let you in. You cannot enter the butler library or the b-school library without a card. But I am sure you can find plenty of quiet places in the campus to study.

You can try the lounges in most of the buildings. Again, if you wait for a couple of minutes, you can get in to any of these lounges even if you dont have a card.

what's the address?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 13:57
bmwhype2 wrote:
ioiio wrote:
kidderek wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:

Become president of Iran

what's the address?

You mean the engg school building address???

I think it is Mudd Building at 120th street and amsterdam. Without a card, You would have to enter through the 116th & B'way main entrance and walk inside the campus to get to the engg building.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2007, 20:39
Actually today I walked passed this really comfy looking coffee/sandwich shop on Lexington and 76th or 75th, on the corner. It looks like a quiet place to study and have a coffee or tea and get some studying done.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 06:45
Another place I would reccommend is the Hunter College Library - in the East building I believe - on 68th street and Lexington avenue. That library is about 4 floors and if you go to some of the lower floors, you will see that it is absolutely silent there and the desks are huge - enough to spread out and tackle whatever you're persuing.

HTH,
- tsd
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 07:06
Is the Hunter Library open to the public?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 08:11
No it's not but I am sure you can walk in and tell them you forgot your ID or something. I am a student there but I see other people in there all the time with the 'I forgot my ID' excuse, sometimes they show their license/any other photo ID to get access.

I know this isn't a public library but I put it on the table in case anyone wanted an ultra-quiet place to study. It's worth the effort I think to use their library.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2007, 17:41
Also at BMCC if you live downtown, you only need a photo id to get into the building, and they have a quiet study room that is open til midnight and there is tons of space. I take Accounting there and I walk in and flash my drivers license.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2007, 13:00
These are all great suggestions. Thanks guys! I'm specifically looking for places to study around Grand Central Station if anyone has them. My preference would be to find places that stay open late on weeknights.
  [#permalink] 10 Oct 2007, 13:00