Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Re: While some of the blood samples were contaminated today, [#permalink]
Well, while is suborinating conjuction. A clause that begins with a subordinating conjuction cannot stand alone, which is here not a case.

At the second look, this can be a verb tense problem

(A) samples were contaminated - scientists finished
(B) samples had been contaminated - scientists finished
(C) samples had been contaminated - scientists had finished
(D) samples were contaminated - scientists had finished

Now I would choose D

Scientists had already finished their research, and then they saw that samples were contaminated

faifai0714 wrote:
There's logic problem in D.

What is the logic problem in D?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
jvujuc wrote:
arj_singh1976 wrote:
E..

Why?

I have no clear explaination for E..but I picked up E for using 'but'. To me this shows a proper contranst in the sentence.

What is the OA for this. Please post OE if you have. thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
ill go with D ,you need past perfect tense, the scientists HAD completed their work, which occured before the cotamination happened
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Answer simply was D for me because...

HAD already sounds perfect.

I didnt care about C because I doesn't matter to me if it is "fortunate" or "unfortunate". I mean, I do not like an additional word to the existing sentence even though it may sound correct.

A,B and are ruled out as they didn't have HAD.
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
mramkumar wrote:
Answer simply was D for me because...

HAD already sounds perfect.

I didnt care about C because I doesn't matter to me if it is "fortunate" or "unfortunate". I mean, I do not like an additional word to the existing sentence even though it may sound correct.

A,B and are ruled out as they didn't have HAD.

usage of "while" in D does not look accurate. Does it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [0]
Send PM
hsampath wrote:
jvujuc wrote:
While some of the blood samples were contaminated today, rendering them useless for further experiments, the scientists already finished their research.

(A) the same
(B) While some of the blood samples had been contaminated today, rendering them useless for further experiments, the scientists
(C) Some of the blood samples had been contaminated today, rendering them useless for further experiments; fortunately, the scientists had
(D) While some of the blood samples were contaminated today, rendering them useless for further experiments, the scientists had
(E) Today some of the blood samples were contaminated, rendering them useless for further experiments, but the scientists

I would eliminate A, B and D because they begin with while.
Then, between C and E, would choose E, because of had been in C

Any comment?

What is wrong with the use of while in the beginning of a sentence? I was contemplating between C and D. I decided to go with D because it sequences events correctly, with the use of past perfect. The scientists had already completed their research before the blood was contaminated.

C I thought required a full stop rather than a semi colon, the two parts seem like separate sentences, although I was very tempted to choose C.

I think semicolon is used when the two parts of the sentence can go independently.... however i would not pick C.

I do not see the connection of the two parts of the sentence in D.
While some of the blood samples were contaminated today.....the scientists had already finished their research This word While does not connect to the researchers had already finished their research i am not sure why this contamination should bother scientists at all....

In E however, it is clear that those blood samples, which were contaminated are somehow related with the scientists research. The word but connects the two parts of the sentence i think

I choose E.
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
SimaQ wrote:
hsampath wrote:
jvujuc wrote:
While some of the blood samples were contaminated today, rendering them useless for further experiments, the scientists already finished their research.

(A) the same
(B) While some of the blood samples had been contaminated today, rendering them useless for further experiments, the scientists
(C) Some of the blood samples had been contaminated today, rendering them useless for further experiments; fortunately, the scientists had
(D) While some of the blood samples were contaminated today, rendering them useless for further experiments, the scientists had
(E) Today some of the blood samples were contaminated, rendering them useless for further experiments, but the scientists

I would eliminate A, B and D because they begin with while.
Then, between C and E, would choose E, because of had been in C

Any comment?

What is wrong with the use of while in the beginning of a sentence? I was contemplating between C and D. I decided to go with D because it sequences events correctly, with the use of past perfect. The scientists had already completed their research before the blood was contaminated.

C I thought required a full stop rather than a semi colon, the two parts seem like separate sentences, although I was very tempted to choose C.

I think semicolon is used when the two parts of the sentence can go independently.... however i would not pick C.

I do not see the connection of the two parts of the sentence in D.
While some of the blood samples were contaminated today.....the scientists had already finished their research This word While does not connect to the researchers had already finished their research i am not sure why this contamination should bother scientists at all....

In E however, it is clear that those blood samples, which were contaminated are somehow related with the scientists research. The word but connects the two parts of the sentence i think

I choose E.

I think E is missing 'had'. In D, 'while' correctly sets up a contrast. ¨While while is not my favourite word to do so, D is better than all other choices
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Send PM
A & B are out for obvious reasons. Let’s simplify C, D & E.

(C) Some of the blood samples had been contaminated today; fortunately, the scientists had already finished their research.

(D) While some of the blood samples were contaminated today the scientists had already finished their research.

(E) Today some of the blood samples were contaminated but the scientists already finished their research.

D does not read right, so its out as we need something in between e.g. but to connect the two part.

E has both parts in past-simple (the 1st of course in passive) so we don’t know which action had taken when.

We are left with C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
asaf wrote:
A & B are out for obvious reasons. Let’s simplify C, D & E.

(C) Some of the blood samples had been contaminated today; fortunately, the scientists had already finished their research.

(D) While some of the blood samples were contaminated today the scientists had already finished their research.

(E) Today some of the blood samples were contaminated but the scientists already finished their research.

D does not read right, so its out as we need something in between e.g. but to connect the two part.

E has both parts in past-simple (the 1st of course in passive) so we don’t know which action had taken when.

We are left with C.

hey asaf,

i dont think v need a "but" when using "while" (pls correct me if i m wrong..... i wanna learn)
moreover, i think, that C gives useless extra information (fortunately....). But here we dont need the xtra info........
ill go with D
thats wot i think........... btw wots the OA??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Send PM
hey asaf,

i dont think v need a "but" when using "while" (pls correct me if i m wrong..... i wanna learn)
moreover, i think, that C gives useless extra information (fortunately....). But here we dont need the xtra info........
ill go with D
thats wot i think........... btw wots the OA??[/quote]

I thought the two parts in D did not go well together.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 532 [0]
Send PM
faifai0714 wrote:
There's logic problem in D.

What is the logic problem in D?[/quote]

read SimaQ's post

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts