Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Who to ask for your second recommendation letter? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Here are some more potential answers here: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=103 though your question is somewhat specific.... but ultimately comes down to who to ask for a recommendation from.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi there,

I think you should definitely explore having one of your recommendations come from your previous firm. Because it was small, they might have been able to see you behave in ways your current employer may not be able to speak to. And because it was only 2 years ago, it is still relevant.

I understand your concern about the relative inexperienced nature of the writer but you can coach them on this. I hate to be the person who posts a link to their own website to answer a question but we wrote about how to pick recommenders and you can find the article here.

If you're concerned about the recommender the best thing you can do is prep him or her extensively and then stay involved. Touch base every few weeks to see how it's going. Send them examples of good MBA recommendation letters. Help them understand the process.

It's a lot of work but it's doable and I think their perspective would add a lot to your application.

If not, two recommendations from the same firm isn't the end of the world. Just make sure they don't say the same things!

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
bb wrote:
Here are some more potential answers here: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=103 though your question is somewhat specific.... but ultimately comes down to who to ask for a recommendation from.

Thanks bb and everyone else! I looked through some of these threads before, but as you said, my situation is sort of specific.

It seems as though it has more to do with how well the person can speak to your "story" than anything else. Initially, when I approached my previous supervisor about business school (he offered to write a recommendation at that point), he seemed convinced that he didn't want/need any additional info about the process. Our 20 minute conversation was "enough" for him to know what to write about (and how). I think I will choose to politely disagree, and offer up some example essays, stories, and insights from the essays I'm crafting.

I personally think having diverse perspectives is a positive (from two jobs as opposed to just one), and so I'm leaning in that direction at the moment. If anyone else is in a similar position, I'd love to hear how you made your decision.
GMAT Club Bot