Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Why do schools encourage everyone and their mom to apply?? [#permalink]
I also think its the money.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Money definitely a reason.

Also, some rankings factor in selectivity; increase the applications denominator, keep the admits numerator steady => magically more selective.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Money has noting to do with it, in the grand scheme of things it is cheap money for the school. Applications aren't a money making thing for the schools.

The real reason is to appear more selective. If 1,500 people apply to HBS and 1,000 are admitted, it doesnt look as good as accepting 8% to people who look at schools. Selectivity is factored into some rankings, and it gives students/alums the feeling of being one of the elite. In reality there are a small percentage of students who are a surefire admit to wherever they apply, then a lot that get into some schools they apply and not others. There is so much overlap at schools with top applicants, very few people every pull a clean sweep.

A few years ago we looked at applicants on here for top programs and found the vast majority got at least one admit to one of the top schools. In the end you never really know unless you try. That said best to be realistic. If you are borderline candidate for Duke you probably dont want to only apply to Stanford, HBS, and Wharton.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I doubt money is even remotely a factor. HBS could ask for $2,000 an app and they'd still get plenty. I agree with river, this is a game of perceived selectivity and exclusivity.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
While I recognize your point I do disagree to an extent. If selectivity was the case then why not lower price to $200 like Cornell? Some schools have app fees that are sub-200 too. If you raise the fee, then you will get fewer applicants as people really question if it's worth applying if they have poor odds which then will increase your overall % admit and lower the "selectivity". While I believe it's a fine balance, to discredit the notion that money may be a factor I think is short-sighted. When you have a staff that has to get paid and thousands of applicants.. people want a paycheck and travel isn't free. Sure tuition covers a lot for the university... but the faculty isn't free, facilities aren't free, etc. So anyway you can cover more of your expenses makes sense to me.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Totally agree. Hard to find a better ROI than sending out a mass email encouraging people to give you another application fee.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Even though making money might not be a primary motive, I am sure schools welcome extra money. Someone pointed that Columbia made $1.6million just out of application fees. That's a substantial amount of money and I am sure it would cover a part of the travelling and lodging expenses.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
gijoedude wrote:
Even though making money might not be a primary motive, I am sure schools welcome extra money. Someone pointed that Columbia made $1.6million just out of application fees. That's a substantial amount of money and I am sure it would cover a part of the travelling and lodging expenses.

Well you need to think that a school like Columbia has a substantial staff for admissions, some of whom are going to be better paid than you would probably think. Add in benefits, overhead, support staff, marketing materials, traveling to numerous areas for meetings, renting space for events. At best they make some money but there isnt going to be a 50% margin. If they want to add 500k to their bottomline they are better off adding a few more students than trying to get a few thousand more applicants.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Oh absolutely River I agree with you on that. It's not a "money making" scheme for the school. My statement isn't that they are trying to generate profit for the school... it's that they have all these people apply because it 1. increases selectivy % and 2. covers sizable costs of the admission expense. If a school knows they're going to admit only X number of students but still needs to maintain the cost of the admission process... the more apps... the more that is covered. I would expect that they probably break-even at best.. but knowing it's a sunk cost and the department is a necessity.. I think that is still a fine margin.
GMAT Club Bot