Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Re: With my pofile, what top 10 school should I apply to? [#permalink]
A 670 - 700 is a good score, but for the top 10 schools it's about the 66% - 90% percentile of admits. This is not to say you can't get it. You're application will have to show why you're different than other applicants that have a higher GMAT. This can be done in a variety of ways. Check out some books on how to get into top schools. Some are good, some are bad, but they give you an idea. I've been reading the book "65 Successful Harvard Essays" It's a good book and gives you an idea of what approach others took.

If you're serious about top 10, then apply to 3 -5 of them. If you only apply to one, and don't really care all that much about getting dinged, then don't waste your $200+ application fee. If we don't care about something, it has a tendancy to come out in how we do things related to whatever it is we are indifferent to.

If you can get a 670 - 700, then you can study really, really hard and get mid 700s. That's my opinion. Even then, Top 10 isn't guaranteed, but it gives you a better shot.

Are you a minority?

Also, the fact that you attended law school but didn't complete might make the adcom wonder if you're capable of handling that course load. You might have to explain why it wasn't for you. Depending on how you do that, it could be a good thing, or a bad thing.

VictoryMBA wrote:
I am currently in the process of narrowing down the list of schools that I will be applying to for fall 2009. There is one thing that keeps nagging at me though, that I don't have one super reach school on my list. And the fact of the matter is, I don't even know where to apply...so maybe some of you could give me some schools to consider as my super reach.

Here are my stats...and yes, I'm sure you will understand why I didn't really consider the top 10 to begin with...

25 years old, 26/27 by the time of matriculation (mid August b-day)
UCLA/3.3/History
GMAT 670-700 (I havent taken the GMAT yet, but honestly, if I don't get within this range,then I won't even bother applying to a top 10).

WE: Attended law school right out of undergrad, then dropped out at the end of my first semester, as it wasn't for me....I began full time work exactly one month later.-- I have worked in land development for about 15 months, and I will have around 2.5 yrs of WE by the time I matriculate. I have worked "in the field" on the job site, and doing financials in the office...so I have gotten a good understanding of the industry thus far.

Career goals are to work for another land development company, but within design/acquisitions....or possibly MC/real estate. My end goal is to build sustainable homes on my own someday (I'm a bit of a crunchy).

EC: I was involved in some enviornmental clubs through high school/college/post college...but only as a member/volunteer. An interesting fact, I live in Los Angeles, but don't use a car. Instead I use public transportation or bike.
Director
Director
Send PM
I left law school because it wasn't the right fit. It was a mistake. I have a huge chunk of debt for 6 months worth of law school in NYC that has made extraordinarily gun shy when it comes to going to grad school again. To put it another way, I know that I want to go to bschool.

Yes, I'm hispanic.

There is a difference between being serious about the top 10 and being delusional. I am serious, yet, cautious. Don't fault me for understanding my own capabilities.

So....we have Chicago, Columbia ED, Ross, and Duke on the list...who else? And more importantly...why are these schools good? What about my profile would make me a target?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Given that real estate is one of your goals, I would definitely add Cornell to your list. It is a top RE school where you will be more competitive than at other schools on that list now.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
I left law school because it wasn't the right fit. It was a mistake. I have a huge chunk of debt for 6 months worth of law school in NYC that has made extraordinarily gun shy when it comes to going to grad school again. To put it another way, I know that I want to go to bschool.

Yes, I'm hispanic.

There is a difference between being serious about the top 10 and being delusional. I am serious, yet, cautious. Don't fault me for understanding my own capabilities.

So....we have Chicago, Columbia ED, Ross, and Duke on the list...who else? And more importantly...why are these schools good? What about my profile would make me a target?

High acceptance rates.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Victory,

Have you identified the specific companies you would like to work for. Real Estate is very different than traditional MBA industries. Some schools have really developed good real estate programs but a lot of schools have just added a couple of real estate classes. So for example between H/S/W, H/S have very weak real estate program while Wharton's program is very strong. You can still probably get a job off the prestige alone but Wharton will provide more opportunities. Cornell was mentioned earlier and yes they have an excellent Masters in RE and offer dual degree options.

So instead of figuring out which top 10 program you could get accepted at, I would first figure out which one fits better with your goals. Look through the employment reports of the top 10 schools. See how many people are going into real estate, after all they will be your network. Look at the companies that hired and recruited there.
Director
Director
Send PM
I'm sorry for the ambiguity gixxer...but that's why I posted this in the first place. I posted my profile so people could give me tips on what schools I should look at (ie: Cornell, Wharton) based on my current job and future goals. High rates of acceptance was never the intent, or even mentioned in my original post.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
VictoryMBA,

Since you haven't taken the GMAT yet, I'd concentrate on that and then select your schools. It's a long process. Start with getting past the GMAT.

J. Allen Morris

VictoryMBA wrote:
I'm sorry for the ambiguity gixxer...but that's why I posted this in the first place. I posted my profile so people could give me tips on what schools I should look at (ie: Cornell, Wharton) based on my current job and future goals. High rates of acceptance was never the intent, or even mentioned in my original post.
Director
Director
Send PM
I appreciate your advice jallen, but you're missing the point of my thread entirely. I have to research schools while I study for my GMAT, along with everything else that comes with applying to bschool. Get off your high horse and throw me a bone here huh?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Given your below 50 percentile GPA, projected below 50 percentile GMAT, the fact you dropped out of law school (unless it was a top-10 school), weak extracurriculars, and apparent lack of both leadership and management experience, I believe top 10 schools will be extreme reaches for you. Schools in 10-15 would be moderate reaches and schools from 15-20 seem to be more of your sweet spot.

I'd recommend you apply to Berkeley (big reach), Cornell (moderate reach), and USC (sweet spot). All have strong real estate programs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Ace the GMAT, show them you fit well in an academic environment.

Build your extracurriculars for the next few months and write a compelling story about why
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 362 [0]
Concentration: Real Estate Development
Schools:Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
 Q42  V35
Send PM
Victory,

I don't want to get in a philosophical debate here over standardized test here but I would take some of the peoples advice here with a grain of salt. A non-minority scoring a 650 puts them 100 above the average. A minority scoring 650 puts them 200 above the average. Unless you think there is some natural deficiency it pretty clear that there are some outside factors causing the average minority GMAT score to be 450. Then when you add in the low number of minorities taking the test the pool of people drops extremely low. Looking at top 20 schools blacks AND hispanics make up about 7% or roughly 900 people. Thats 900 people nationwide. In contrast these same groups of minorites make up about 14% at top medical and law schools, so talent is not the issue.

Work hard to do as best you can but don't get to discouraged if you score a 670. That's a huge accomplishment. I know it's rough when you come here and see people with 700 complaining and contemplating taking it over, but your circumstances are different. Just like due to a large applicant pool of Indians their GMAT scores need to be even higher to remain competitive.

A 670 is great. A 3.3 from UCLA is great. You're EC's and the reason you quit law school are you're weak point. Work on these and you be fine. I'm a member of a program that helps to develop minorities for acceptance into top programs. The program is the no. 1 source of minority applicants to top 10 business schools. About 85% of our members go to top 10 programs and most of us have between 600 and 700. 40% of the minorites at HBS are from our program. We'll meet as a group 4 time this year and there are about 220 of us from accross the US. It really helps to see others in a similar situation as yourself.

So I'm not saying your a definite top 10 canidate but don't let others discourage you from applying. A friend of mine got accepted to Kellogg this year and while he worked his @ss of for it, his GMAT was lower than what you're shooting for.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Ross, Johnson, Tepper, Fisher
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Google "The consortium". It is for minorities, and it allows you to fill out one application that goes out to 10 or 15 top 25 schools. I myself am not a minority but it seems pretty sweet.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
I remember reading somewhere in this forum that Wisconsin(or another similar sounding school) has a great RE program. Check them out! A 670-700 GMAT should be very competitive there.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Add Haas to your list if you're interested in Real Estate and Sustainability stuff. They're big on that. :)
Director
Director
Send PM
Thanks guys!

As for Haas, I wonder if my age will be a factor (too young/lack of we)
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
I appreciate your advice jallen, but you're missing the point of my thread entirely. I have to research schools while I study for my GMAT, along with everything else that comes with applying to bschool. Get off your high horse and throw me a bone here huh?

Can some here look at what I wrote and tell me what about my posts here put me on a "high horse"?

VictoryMBA,

I was not trying to offend you in anyway. I apologize for what I said as it obviously was not clear in what or how I meant it. I would appreaciate some specific feedback as to what I wrote that offended you so I do not make the same mistake twice and offend someone.

j allen morris
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
Thanks guys!

As for Haas, I wonder if my age will be a factor (too young/lack of we)

I definitely agree to not worry about your chances about getting in. Just talk to NervousGMAT about what the "experts" predicted and all the amazing schools she got into. Top 10 schools are reaches for everyone - no matter what they say, think, or if you have an 800 GMAT or 4.0 GPA

Apply to schools that you love (people, program, placement, etc.) and you will be well served and be more likely to be rewarded for it. Dont sell yourself short in the process (this doesnt mean just apply to top 10 - just that if you approach it with the mindset of "where am I most likely to get in" rather than "which would I fit best at" you are going to be disapponted, either with rejection or getting into a top ranked school you dont necessarily love).
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2